Boyet
Diver
First Name: Isagani

Ultrasonic Cleaner Cleaning Solution

Thu Mar 08, 2012 12:24 am

Guys:
I just bought an Ultrasonic cleaner from Harbor Freight. I am going to use it mostly for cleaning parts of Double hose regulator that I am rebuilding.I went to Google and found that some user use 50% Vinegar and 50% Water and some dishwashing detergent as cleaning solution (home made). I tried it but after the cleaning cycle,some parts change color (Brass color after cleaning). If you are using the Ultrasonic, what kind of solution are you using to clean the regulator parts? If they are commercially available, what is the brand and where do you buy it. Your input will be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Boyet

Drado
Master Diver
First Name: Eduardo

Re: Ultrasonic Cleaner Cleaning Solution

Thu Mar 08, 2012 7:40 am

Brass turned pink on you, did it? :D

I use what you use: 50/50. Just don't leave it in too long.

swimjim
Master Diver
First Name: Jim

Thu Mar 08, 2012 8:05 am

I don't have an ultrasonic cleaner, but I start out by giving the parts a soak in 50/50 vinegar and water for about 15 minutes. That will take care of things as far as corrosion most of the time. I then rinse everything thoroughly in hot water then let everything soak in water with Dawn dish washing liquid. The water needs to be as hot as you can stand it. After a few minutes in that, I follow up with a hot water rinse. The hot water heats the parts and causes them to dry quickly. Thats a little beer stein cleaning tech I've picked up over the years.
One must be careful not to allow parts to stay in the vinegar bath too long as the vinegar will eat the chrome if left too long.

Jim

uwstlth
Master Diver
First Name: kevin

Thu Mar 08, 2012 11:26 am

I use a solution of Simple Green and water. The dilution varies from one application to another but if I'm O2 cleaning I use 10% and follow up with a few water rinse runs. You may want to do a quick web search, I have found good info there as well as on rebreatherworld.com

macado
Master Diver
First Name: Michael

Thu Mar 08, 2012 5:36 pm

I've been using SaltX as part of my cleaning solution. It was mentioned on here and I believe Bryan also uses it for cleaning salt/mineral deposits.

I also put a little dish detergent in it. If you put things in too long with a vinegar solution you will find it can eat away parts of the chrome.

Douchebag
Master Diver

Fri Mar 09, 2012 4:40 am

Guys, please stay away from the vinegar solutions. Especially in the US cleaners. A light detergent and heat are all that's really needed. Very light detergent.

scubapeter
Lung Diver
First Name: peter

Fri Mar 23, 2012 12:23 am

I like blue gold - 5%....

Creed
Master Diver

Thu Mar 29, 2012 12:12 pm

Vinegar is just stripping your chrome finish. Like Dave said, avoid it. For verdigris, Salt-X. For other things, a light detergent. I've found that rubbing alcohol tends to dissolve rubber deposits, like dried on duckbills, although I don't dissolve that stuff in an ultrasonic cleaner.
"Haul the sheet in as we ride on the wind that our
forefathers harnessed before us
Hear the bells ring as the tide rigging sings.
It's a son of a gun of a chorus" - Jimmy Buffet

sthtxdiver
Master Diver

Sun Apr 01, 2012 6:37 am

im very happy using salt-x just dipping my regs does a great job i can imagine leaving for longer periods of time with the ultra cleaning action :)
Charlie

Return to “General Discussions”