Bryan
Plank Owner
First Name: Bryan

Argonaut Contest

Fri Mar 29, 2013 1:07 pm

Argonaut Label Design Contest.

We are looking for a couple of great design ideas for the new Argonaut can labels.

Photoshop, Paint, Pencil, Ink, Crayon it's up to you.

If your idea is chosen your will receive a 50% discount on the purchase of one new Argonaut production regulator. This discount has no cash value and is not transferable.

There are two models of the Argonaut on the drawing board at this time. One is oriented towards the diver looking for a traditional configuration double hose with the option of modern conveniences.

The other will focus more on the technical/tactical/photo/video diver that wants the benefits of a double hose but will add various attachments to it as the dive plan dictates.

The labels will be metal approximately 2” diameter.

Please E-mail your ideas directly to me in windows format. It does not have to be perfect. I will have a professional graphics company do the final details.
Please have your ideas in by April 30th.

All ideas submitted become property of VDH Worldwide and may be used for future advertising, promotion or branding. Submitter relinquishes all claim to future use or compensation for the use of their idea, design or drawings.
Doing it right should include some common sense, not just blindly following specs and instructions. .Gary D, AWAP on SB

luis
VDH Moderator
First Name: Luis

Re: Argonaut Contest

Sat Mar 30, 2013 7:03 pm

Keep in mind that a 2 inch label is not very large. Therefore, any complex drawings or a lot of text may not be very clear when it gets reduced to that size.

Also, Bryan and I talked, and for this project his company name will be shown mostly as "VDH".

Some of the target audience is not really interested on its vintage heritage or style. They are just going to care for having bubbles and noise behind their back.

Many of us already tend to address Bryan’s business as VDH; therefore, this is really just a subtle change in reference.
Luis

Buceador con escafandra autónoma clásica.

Nemrod
VDH Moderator
First Name: James

Sat Mar 30, 2013 9:05 pm

I am HORRID artist. However, there is an animal called an argonaut. A cephalopod related to ammonites of old and the octopus and has eight arms.

The Argo ( of Jason and the Argonauts) was a trireme, perhaps an engraving of a trireme under sail and row.

James

Boiler81
Vintage Diver
First Name: scott

Mon Apr 01, 2013 1:37 pm

luis wrote:Some of the target audience is not really interested on its vintage heritage or style. They are just going to care for having bubbles and noise behind their back.
Argonauts are not vintage complaint either. It seems they use BCs! http://www.theage.com.au/victoria/the-s ... -vf72.html

Gilldiver
Master Diver

Tue Apr 02, 2013 7:57 pm

How about a double hose diver with a trident spearing a "Tech" Diver?
Double Hose Regulators, It not just a Hobby, it’s a Disease

SurfLung
Master Diver
First Name: Eben

Sun Apr 07, 2013 10:55 pm

I'm going for a classic look here...
SurfLung
The Freedom and Simplicity of Vintage Equipment and
Vintage Diving Technique are Why I Got Back Into Diving.

luis
VDH Moderator

Mon Apr 08, 2013 6:28 am

In general I like the look, but just a couple of comments...

my name shall not be on any label

and this regulator is not just for air... Nitrox and Trimix are encouraged. :)
Luis

SurfLung
Master Diver

Mon Apr 08, 2013 9:27 am

Revised Version...
- I like the use of the classic French "Scaphandre Autonome" for its historical connection. However, it translates to "Aqualung"... So, I don't know if there would be an infringement issue with USD. The phrase seems to be on original two hose regulators of several manufacturers... I wonder if in French, it might be a generic term for Scuba?
SurfLung

SurfLung
Master Diver

Mon Apr 08, 2013 10:05 am

Another Revision...
- Dropped the Scaphandre Autonome... No need for lawyers, right? :roll:
SurfLung

swimjim
Master Diver
First Name: Jim

Mon Apr 08, 2013 4:14 pm

SurfLung wrote:Another Revision...
- Dropped the Scaphandre Autonome... No need for lawyers, right? :roll:
I like your design Eben. I've thought of a few, but for one reason or another cast them aside. Good work!

Jim

luis
VDH Moderator

Mon Apr 08, 2013 7:35 pm

SurfLung wrote:
- I like the use of the classic French "Scaphandre Autonome" for its historical connection. However, it translates to "Aqualung"... So, I don't know if there would be an infringement issue with USD. The phrase seems to be on original two hose regulators of several manufacturers... I wonder if in French, it might be a generic term for Scuba?
That is very interesting, where did you find the translation to be Aqualung? IMO, that would almost imply that aqualung is a common usage word.

BTW, if you look at my signature it says: “escafandra autónoma”. That is the same as "Scaphandre Autonome", but in Spanish instead of French. The literal translation is autonomous diving suit or what we now call scuba.

The term “escafandra autónoma” has never been used as a trademark and I am almost certain that the French term is also just part of the common French language. No one uses the term “autonomous diving suit”, but anyone could use it.

Note: The acronym SCUBA used to be trademark by Healthways, until they went out of business and that is why everyone can use it now as a common word (including other companies). The interesting thing is that the term was actually first used by the Navy for a re-breather. I don’t understand how Healthways was able to trademark it.

Now for the fine print:
Note2: I am not a lawyer and my knowledge about trademarks is very limited so there may be some inaccuracies in some of my statements.
Luis

Bryan
Plank Owner

Mon Apr 08, 2013 10:44 pm

I would appreciate future ideas for the label being submitted by E-mail as per instructions. Thank you
Doing it right should include some common sense, not just blindly following specs and instructions. .Gary D, AWAP on SB

SurfLung
Master Diver

Tue Apr 09, 2013 3:19 pm

- I got the translation from two different French translation websites on the internet. The two words together comes back translated as Aqualung. Submitted individually, Scaphandre comes back as "Space Suit". And Autonome comes back as automatic or self contained or something like that.
- Luis, the Google translator read escafandra autónoma as "Scuba" in english. I think to incorporate that into the label would be quite a classy tribute in more ways than one.
- Sorry Bryan. I missed that and thought I was helping to get the contest going. To be part of this even as just the label designer is a huge honor.
SurfLung

Bryan
Plank Owner

Sun Apr 21, 2013 10:53 am

Thank you to everyone who submitted ideas for the project. You guys are way more creative than I am! I have selected someone to work with on the project and he wishes to remain anon for the moment but more details will follow. Below are the two examples he came up with...Please bear in mind that the actual labels will look totally different and may not use the historic Argonaut theme.

Master Diver
First Name: Kim

Mon Apr 22, 2013 12:52 am

My vote goes to the top photo 8)
Kim,
Ocean Trekker, Dangerous When Wet.
"Rules are for the obedience of fools and the guidance of wise men" Douglas Barder.

Return to “General Discussions”