couv
Master Diver

Re: Cheap Compressor Filters

Thu Oct 29, 2020 3:17 pm

Jim Shelden re-packable cartridge.
IMG_0995.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
A sincere THANK YOU to all at VDH who make this wonderful resource available and to all the thoughtful contributors.

couv
Master Diver

Thu Oct 29, 2020 3:32 pm

Line from separator to filter housing. (Lower line.)
.....again with the "file too large."
A sincere THANK YOU to all at VDH who make this wonderful resource available and to all the thoughtful contributors.

SurfLung
Master Diver
First Name: Eben

Mon Nov 02, 2020 2:03 pm

Very nice! Thanks for posting!
SurfLung
The Freedom and Simplicity of Vintage Equipment and
Vintage Diving Technique are Why I Got Back Into Diving.

couv
Master Diver

Tue Apr 13, 2021 12:02 pm

Small change made to "Cheap Filter" set. Again, I am new at this so I welcome any comments-especially if anyone catches anything I'm doing as dangerous to myself or my machine.

My small Kidde 2.2 CFM compressor needs all of the help it can get so I decided to lower the impact that purging water has on the filter system and conserve more of the pressure accumulated in the 3 towers. Additionally, I wanted a method of running my compressor under low load during start up and shut down. The first tower in my filter system is just a moisture separator (see earlier discussion in this same thread). Next is a small molecular sieve only tower, and finally is the main filter. Therefore I made the following modifications. I removed the stock fittings and hard line between the two towers that came with the "Cheap Filter" set. Upon removal I noticed the BSP pipe fittings were installed into parallel pipe threads (BSPP) so I obtained a set of BSPP / JIC 1/4" elbows and a couple of high pressure sealing washers from a hydraulic supply store. I fitted an AN-4 check valve on the moisture separator and connected it to the MS tower via a JIC hose (JIC is compatible with AN.)

Here is the basic layout. Compressor-->check valve-->moisture separator-->check valve-->MS only tower-->check valve/PMV (just because I had an extra one)-->main filter housing/relief valve/PMV-->fill whip.
metric bsp fittings .JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

SurfLung
Master Diver

Fri Apr 16, 2021 9:52 am

Thanks for the update and photos Couv. That looks like a nice clean installation. I'm remembering my own adventure with BSP, AN-4, and JIC connection systems. It sure is nice that there are adaptors that allow them to work together!

Hydraulic Supplies... I think I got some of my adaptors from a place called "Hydraulic Supply" on line. I got a really nice fill whip hose... Nice thick rubber and rated for very high pressure.

I'd like to ask how you adapted the Chinese filter tube to hold you filter media? The ones I saw only has charcoal. And then ends looked glued on. So, I had to modify a Lawrence Factor filter tube to allow changing media. How did you do your's?

P.S. Nothing wrong with check valves to keep everything from going backward. As for the PMV, I have installed a BPR (Back Pressure Regulator) on the tank end of my fill whip. This assures that nothing gets out of the system unless it is at 1800 psi or higher... Gives highest condense and filter efficiency.
SurfLung

couv
Master Diver

Fri Apr 16, 2021 4:07 pm

Thanks SurfLung,

The small filter that came with my set had molecular sieve and activated carbon. I was unsure of the quality, and really did not need any additional A/C as there is plenty in the main filter. I cut the cartridge near the bottom (wish I had cut a little closer) dumped out the contents and installed fresh MS and a couple of pads. I placed the cutoff bottom piece back into the bottom the filter housing and found a spring just the right size to maintain pressure on the lower felt pad. In addition to holding pressure on the filter pad, the spring allows a small gap which serves as a reservoir should moisture collect in the bottom of the filter housing.

Having said that, since I've installed the mechanical moisture separator, I have yet to see a drop of water or even mist come out of either the pre-filter or the main filter-only from the moisture separator itself.
moisture indicator strip before.jpg
moisture indicator strip after.jpg

Chris
Master Diver
First Name: Chris

Wed Apr 21, 2021 10:54 pm

I know hydraulic hoses have two or three layers of steel cords, but is there any concerns about the heat from the compressor melting the rubber layers between the pistons and water seperator?

couv
Master Diver

Wed Apr 21, 2021 11:23 pm

Chris wrote:
Wed Apr 21, 2021 10:54 pm
I know hydraulic hoses have two or three layers of steel cords, but is there any concerns about the heat from the compressor melting the rubber layers between the pistons and water seperator?
None of that plumbing gets more than warm. Even the check valve at the compressor that the first hose attaches to is just a little warm.

Chris
Master Diver
First Name: Chris

Thu Apr 22, 2021 9:46 am

Good to know, thanks. I've wondered about that when contemplating filter setups.

SurfLung
Master Diver

Fri Apr 23, 2021 4:52 pm

couv wrote:
Fri Apr 16, 2021 4:07 pm
Thanks SurfLung,

... I placed the cutoff bottom piece back into the bottom the filter housing and found a spring just the right size to maintain pressure on the lower felt pad...
I used a large Snap Ring to secure the bottom of my modified Lawrence Factor filter conversion.

I think I'll try your approach and modify the original filter tube... I like how much easier it is to pull out with the screw in bolt. :)
SurfLung

Return to “Compressor Talk”