ScubaLawyer
Master Diver
First Name: Mark

Re: Question on old Scubapro spg.

Tue Sep 03, 2019 12:33 pm

Look like the main o-ring is a -030. I've ordered a few extra if anyone wants one.

I found an o-ring for the rear seal in my parts bin that fits so not sure the size.

"The diver who collects specimens of underwater life has fun and becomes a keen underwater observer. .. seek slow-moving or attached organisms such as corals, starfish, or shelled creatures." (Golden Guide to Scuba Diving, 1968) :D

ScubaLawyer
Master Diver

Mon Sep 09, 2019 5:52 pm

Received the replacement o-rings for the main dial face on the Sea-Vue and Scubapro gauges. Let me know if anyone wants one.

Mark

"The diver who collects specimens of underwater life has fun and becomes a keen underwater observer. .. seek slow-moving or attached organisms such as corals, starfish, or shelled creatures." (Golden Guide to Scuba Diving, 1968) :D

ScubaLawyer
Master Diver

Wed Sep 11, 2019 12:52 am

Looks like Sportsways and ScubaPro went to the same dial maker.

Anyway, turns out these things are pretty simple. The main gauge face seal o-ring is a -030. The rear o-ring is a -011. Decided to rebuild my SEA-VUE first.

Fingers crossed. On to reassembly.  M

ScubaLawyer
Master Diver

Wed Sep 11, 2019 2:21 am

THE DAMN THING ACTUALLY WORKS !!!!

Had to really crank down the brass nipple into the hose end, but finally got it to stop bubbling. Cleaned up real nice. Even has an original Sportsways hose that looks to be in good condition. Double authentic! (Of course the hose says "SPORTWAYS" without the middle "s." Different company? Inadvertent misspelling? Gray market?)

antique diver
Master Diver
First Name: Bill

Wed Sep 11, 2019 9:06 am

Told ya that you could do it :D
The older I get the better I was.

ScubaLawyer
Master Diver

Wed Sep 11, 2019 9:20 am

antique diver wrote:
Wed Sep 11, 2019 9:06 am
Told ya that you could do it :D
Sometimes I impress even myself. :)

Greg Barlow
VDH Moderator
First Name: Greg

Wed Sep 11, 2019 4:30 pm

Mark,

I have one of the gauges marked as a Scubapro. I’d like to have one of the o-rings if you don’t mind. My email is [email protected].

Thanks for all of the great information.

Greg
Greg Barlow
PADI Assistant Instructor
TDI Adv. EAN
TDI Decompression Procedures
IANTD Full Cave
NSS/CDS Full Cave

ScubaLawyer
Master Diver

Wed Sep 11, 2019 5:12 pm

Greg Barlow wrote:
Wed Sep 11, 2019 4:30 pm
Mark,

I have one of the gauges marked as a Scubapro. I’d like to have one of the o-rings if you don’t mind. My email is [email protected].

Thanks for all of the great information.

Greg
Sent you an email. Let me know if you don't get it. Need your snail mail address.

Mark

ScubaLawyer
Master Diver

Thu Sep 12, 2019 1:17 am

Got the ScubaPro spg together and it works too! YAY!  it's a little more well used than the Sportsways spg so I had to polish the threads and interior with 0000 steel wool. Also, the nipple fit on a modern braided HP hose so there's that.

One thing I learned is that when you go to place the gauge into the housing it is very difficult to push the rear o-ring through the rear hole. If you just set the gauge in the housing, see that it turns slightly right and left (meaning you are not on top of the small pin inside the back wall of the housing), attach the rear nut and tighten it down you will feel the o-ring pop in as you are tightening it and the gauge face will be recessed sufficiently to put the plastic plate on.

Also, that rear o-ring is a bear to get on. I got it over the first thread then used a plastic pik to get under it and work it around and down.  Finally, make sure the rear o-ring is in the bottom groove closest to the bourdon tube. There is another groove just above that which looks like an o-ring should go there but it is just space at the end of the threads. If you put the o-ring there it will not seal the housing.

Far too much info I know but thought I'd write it down in case I ever do this again. :)

Image Image

couv
Master Diver

Thu Sep 12, 2019 7:28 am

Well done Mark.
I love it when a gauge comes together.
A sincere THANK YOU to all at VDH who make this wonderful resource available and to all the thoughtful contributors.

ScubaLawyer
Master Diver

Thu Sep 12, 2019 10:43 am

couv wrote:
Thu Sep 12, 2019 7:28 am
Well done Mark.
I love it when a gauge comes together.
Thanks Couv!. I don't quite know why I became fascinated with these type gauges but once I get an itch..... :)

On to the next project - whatever that is. M

Greg Barlow
VDH Moderator

Thu Sep 12, 2019 12:51 pm

Mark, from your description of the rear o-ring installation, could it be that it might possibly be a -903, rather than a -011?

As I’ll be tackling my own gauge soon, I was wondering about the possibility.

A number of vintage regulators actually used a -903 for LP and HP glands rather than a -011. This is particularly true with the Voit models. While a -011 works, it is typically more of a crush fit.

“Enquiring minds want to know....”

Thanks for the great information.

Greg
Greg Barlow
TDI Adv. EAN
IANTD Full Cave
NSS/CDS Full Cave

ScubaLawyer
Master Diver

Thu Sep 12, 2019 1:14 pm

Greg Barlow wrote:
Thu Sep 12, 2019 12:51 pm
Mark, from your description of the rear o-ring installation, could it be that it might possibly be a -903, rather than a -011?

As I’ll be tackling my own gauge soon, I was wondering about the possibility.

A number of vintage regulators actually used a -903 for LP and HP glands rather than a -011. This is particularly true with the Voit models. While a -011 works, it is typically more of a crush fit.

“Enquiring minds want to know....”

Thanks for the great information.

Greg
Greg, anything is possible in love, war and vintage scuba gear. I simply printed out an o-ring chart and laid the old o-ring on various circles until I found one that fit (ID, OD, CS = -011). I also took calipers to the o-ring groove and that size matched the ID of the -011. Doesn't mean its not the other size though. If it blows up in your face, then I was wrong. :) Use your own discretion. M

Greg Barlow
VDH Moderator

Thu Sep 12, 2019 1:19 pm

Mark, it certainly sounds like the -011 is the correct size. Do you recommend a soft (70 durometer), or hard (90)?

Thanks.

Greg
Greg Barlow
TDI Adv. EAN
IANTD Full Cave
NSS/CDS Full Cave

ScubaLawyer
Master Diver

Thu Sep 12, 2019 1:41 pm

Greg Barlow wrote:
Thu Sep 12, 2019 1:19 pm
Mark, it certainly sounds like the -011 is the correct size. Do you recommend a soft (70 durometer), or hard (90)?

Thanks.

Greg
Greg,

I don't recommend nuthin without a $10,000 retainer. :shock: :D

Regardless, the one I happened to have in my box o' o-rings was 90 durometer so that is what I used on the rear. The old face plate o-ring was pretty soft so I used a 70 on it and that is what I'm sending you. Just a guess on my part really. When I called Sportsways to ask no one answered the phone, and ScubaPro just thought I was nuts. :D (Before anyone gets excited, no I made no phone calls to anyone :roll: )

Return to “General Discussions”