wb2glp
First Name: John

Pair of ALFCO 38s - Need Advice

Sat Apr 14, 2018 9:39 am

I have an opportunity to pick up a set of ALFCO 38s with USD manifold and bushings. They appear to be in pretty good condition. Oldest hydro I see on these tanks is ‘43.

What should I expect to pay for these and not get burnt?

simonbeans
VDH Moderator
First Name: Allan

Re: Pair of ALFCO 38s - Need Advice

Sat Apr 14, 2018 11:58 am

How bad do you want them? That always is my criteria for pricing.
Check out my website: www.vintagescubastuff.com

SurfLung
Master Diver
First Name: Eben

Re: Pair of ALFCO 38s - Need Advice

Mon Apr 16, 2018 11:31 am

I don't know what "ALFCO" is but it's a risk buying anything as old as 1943... In all that time, there's a good chance that somebody pumped some water into them. I've been extremely lucky and then I've also been unlucky. I bought a really ugly looking set of USN "Shatterproof" 38s that had the bushings, manifold, bands and harness... Paid $50 and the guy threw in a ScubaPro 109 regulator. Date on the tanks was 1942 I think. When I got them home and looked inside, they looked like brand new. They passed hydro easily and they were even galvanized under the paint. The "UNLUCKY" buy was a set of two single 38s... Also bushing tanks from the 40s which somebody had fixed up with re-plated post valves. These two were rusty inside. I tumbled them and they looked okay. But when I took them in for hydro and visual, one of them was failed for being too pitted with rust. I paid $100 including shipping for these two tanks and ended up with one usable 38... A nice little tank I use often for lake diving BTW. If you figure shipping of tanks must be $25-$50... These are two examples of tanks like you are considering that sold for $50-75 for a set.

I've been lucky far more times than unlucky. I bought my yellow Twin 38 USD set for $100 cash and it included a Dacor Dial a Breath regulator. Insides were like new. I bought my Sportsways Twin 42s for $125 off eBay... A little rusty inside but the Hydro guy cleaned them up and they passed by a wide margin.
Twin38vs42.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
SurfLung
The Freedom and Simplicity of Vintage Equipment and
Vintage Diving Technique are Why I Got Back Into Diving.

Return to “Tanks and Valves”