ScubaLawyer
Master Diver
First Name: Mark

DivCon last weekend in Avila Beach, CA

Mon Mar 19, 2018 2:16 am

Attended DivCon in Avila Beach (Central California) on Saturday. Lots of interesting speakers. John McKenney (the late Jack McKenney's son) was there. Tom Southwith brought some of his vintage gear to display and I brought some regulators to display. Stuck my Kraken in the group and it drew many questions.

Sam Miller put me up for two nights at his house in Pismo Beach as its about a 4 hour drive for me. Sam had a presentation about the evolution of dive gear as seen through the early Sears, Montgomery Wards and Penny's catalogs - JC Higgins regs and all that... Very interesting stuff. Karl Huggins, Director of the Catalina Hyperbaric Chamber, gave a great talk on thermoregulation of the body using wetsuits and drysuits. I did not know that "nitrogen narcosis attenuates shivering thermogenisis." I know that now and I'm positive that information will come in handy one day. :D

An opthamologist gave a great talk on underwater vision and occular barotrauma issues. We even had the San Luis Obispo Sheriff's Dive Team give a slide show/powerpoint on each and every body recovery they made in 2017 - complete with footage taken during the actual recoveries on how to modify surface body bags for underwater use in the field with the body inside (involves cutting drainage holes if anyone was curious). More info than I really cared to know (or see).

Anyway,  the day reminded me of the old NAUI ICUE (IQ) seminars back in the 70's if any of you remember those.  Had fun. Mark
IMG_3736.jpg
mjsregs-1280x411.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"The diver who collects specimens of underwater life has fun and becomes a keen underwater observer. .. seek slow-moving or attached organisms such as corals, starfish, or shelled creatures." (Golden Guide to Scuba Diving, 1968) :D

crimediver
Master Diver

Re: DivCon last weekend in Avila Beach, CA

Mon Mar 19, 2018 8:59 am

I have a bit of experience bagging drowning victims. During an underwater criminal investigation it is easy to lose trace evidence. A simple method is to buy the cheap plastic grommets at camping stores and screen them with mosquito netting to allow water to run out but to keep in small trace evidence such as gel coat particles from a boating hit-and-run for example. A couple of these placed on a body bag really help out.

One company makes a super fancy bag that costs a fortune and has lift bag attachments and so on. The problem is you cannot re-use it as it could contaminate the next victim . It is marketed for multiple use. It is not well thought out piece of gear.

A body bag is something most people don't think about but it becomes important if you are working a crime scene and have to account for not contaminating a body or losing evidence. It is something most divers do not want to think about though!

Bryan
Plank Owner
First Name: Bryan

Mon Mar 19, 2018 9:44 am

Sounds like a wide variety of topics were covered. Looks like you guys did a nice display! Appreciate you throwing the Kraken in the mix.
Doing it right should include some common sense, not just blindly following specs and instructions. .Gary D, AWAP on SB

DerekRalston
Skin Diver
First Name: Derek

Mon Mar 19, 2018 10:46 am

I understand your aversion to explicit depictions of recovery operations. I often had to remind my fellow officers to tone it down, when describing or displaying information that we have become accustomed to seeing. It's a part of the job that we get paid to do quietly and in good taste.

ScubaLawyer
Master Diver

Mon Mar 19, 2018 11:38 am

Bryan wrote:
Mon Mar 19, 2018 9:44 am
Sounds like a wide variety of topics were covered. Looks like you guys did a nice display! Appreciate you throwing the Kraken in the mix.

I did my best to educate folks about the various regs, including the Kraken. Try as I might I was informed by a few very authoritive individuals several things about the Kraken that I did not know.

For instance, did you know the Kraken is simply a JetAir with a red label? When I inquired about the extra stage in the Kraken I was informed he was referring to the 2-stage JetAir model.

I was also informed by another highly knowledgeable individual (I know because he told me so himself that he was) that internally, the Kraken is identical to a Voit V66 Navy which, contrary to what is commonly stated, has a completely different internal mechanism than a DA AquaMaster. He went on to explain that DA's had an upstream 2-stage design while the Navy had a downstream 2-stage design. But he was quick to add that both regs had balanced "second" stages. His buddies all stood around nodding approvingly at my being set straight.

Sometimes discretion is the better part of valor. As it is not possible to argue constructively with folks that know everything about everything, I offered that we could agree to disagree. I don't think he fully comprehended my dismissive statement because he asked, so you understand I'm right then? Sure. Mark.
"The diver who collects specimens of underwater life has fun and becomes a keen underwater observer. .. seek slow-moving or attached organisms such as corals, starfish, or shelled creatures." (Golden Guide to Scuba Diving, 1968) :D

ScubaLawyer
Master Diver

Mon Mar 19, 2018 11:50 am

DerekRalston wrote:
Mon Mar 19, 2018 10:46 am
I understand your aversion to explicit depictions of recovery operations. I often had to remind my fellow officers to tone it down, when describing or displaying information that we have become accustomed to seeing. It's a part of the job that we get paid to do quietly and in good taste.
When I was in grad school back in the 80's I was a volunteer with the Sacramento Sheriff's swift-water rescue and recovery team. Saw my share of unpleasant things and realized quickly it wasn't my cup of tea. Plus the 3 am callouts to vehicles now upside down in the river and staging the rescue effort during the height of winter storms cut in on my beauty sleep. :D I truly appreciate everything you guys do. Thought I had put that all out of my mind but I guess it will always be there.

antique diver
Master Diver
First Name: Bill

Mon Mar 19, 2018 1:03 pm

Mark, I have one of the extremely rare two stage balanced Royal Jet-Air regulators. I was informed by an expert in local gun shop that mine is the likely the only working model left of the 6 originally produced in about 1958.

I would be willing to sell it to you for your fine collection, and it would be a great addition considering that was the direct ancestor of the Kraken that you own. It is in "fine" condition, but since we are friends I will let you have it for the "good" condition price of only $695 8) . Then I can buy a newer version... The Kraken! Don't delay, as I hear the value is going up now that its actual family tree descendant has been recognized for what it really is. Bryan is really going to be surprised that we are finally on to him! :lol:
The older I get the better I was.

ScubaLawyer
Master Diver

Mon Mar 19, 2018 1:18 pm

Bill, I would not dream of taking such a rare piece of diving history out of your possession. However, should you wish to pay me the $695 (actually, since you are a friend, I'd accept $995) I would be happy to find your two-stage balanced Royal Jet-Air (with multiple high and low pressure ports) a good home. Call it a facilitation fee. :D

DerekRalston
Skin Diver
First Name: Derek

Mon Mar 19, 2018 1:56 pm

ScubaLawyer wrote:
Mon Mar 19, 2018 11:50 am
Thought I had put that all out of my mind but I guess it will always be there.
It took me a while to actually enjoy diving again. Before I would hit the water, the visions of too many awful things would come flooding back into my mind. While they will never totally go away, you learn to live with the ghosts.

antique diver
Master Diver
First Name: Bill

Mon Mar 19, 2018 6:51 pm

ScubaLawyer wrote:
Bill, I would not dream of taking such a rare piece of diving history out of your possession. However, should you wish to pay me the $695 (actually, since you are a friend, I'd accept $995) I would be happy to find your two-stage balanced Royal Jet-Air (with multiple high and low pressure ports) a good home. Call it a facilitation fee. :D
We are so lucky to have each other as such good friends... you meet great folks on the VDH Forum! I'll get a check in the mail to you soon. :?
The older I get the better I was.

ScubaLawyer
Master Diver

Mon Mar 19, 2018 7:21 pm

antique diver wrote:
Mon Mar 19, 2018 6:51 pm
ScubaLawyer wrote:
We are so lucky to have each other as such good friends... you meet great folks on the VDH Forum! I'll get a check in the mail to you soon. :?
Bill, I'll just sit here and hold my breath waiting for that check. :lol: 8)

Bryan
Plank Owner
First Name: Bryan

Mon Mar 19, 2018 8:33 pm

If I EVER did a trade show I would need guys like Mark, Rob, Barb, Luis, Herman etc to help me out....Even as I've mellowed in my old age :roll: I just have no stomach for BS and shows like that are just full of walking experts on everything. My filters in public are much better than they used to be but I still can only tolerate so much.....
Doing it right should include some common sense, not just blindly following specs and instructions. .Gary D, AWAP on SB

ScubaLawyer
Master Diver

Mon Mar 19, 2018 11:15 pm

Bryan wrote:
Mon Mar 19, 2018 8:33 pm
If I EVER did a trade show I would need guys like Mark, Rob, Barb, Luis, Herman etc to help me out....Even as I've mellowed in my old age :roll: I just have no stomach for BS and shows like that are just full of walking experts on everything. My filters in public are much better than they used to be but I still can only tolerate so much.....
I can see it now, while Bryan is doing real business the rest of us will be subjecting the passing know-it-alls to vicious mockery. :twisted:

SurfLung
Master Diver
First Name: Eben

Wed Apr 04, 2018 2:18 pm

The know nothing know-it-alls reminds me of several times being approached by local divers at a dive site. They look like they're interested in our vintage gear but instead they launch into a long winded explanation of everything they think THEY know about vintage diving and gear. At first, I assume they're interested in learning something and try to explain our fascinating hobby. But when it becomes apparent that they're blow hards, I just go back to what I'm doing and respond with, "Oh really?", "That's amazing!", "Wow", etc.

No kidding this has happened probably 6 times in the past few years.

I'd like to add that "nitrogen narcosis attenuates shivering thermogenesis" might explain some of the intense enjoyment we get out of diving in Fortune Pond :D
SurfLung
The Freedom and Simplicity of Vintage Equipment and
Vintage Diving Technique are Why I Got Back Into Diving.

Return to “Vintage Dive Trips or Gatherings”