SheriffDiver
Master Diver
First Name: John

Another UDS-1 triples unit saved and ready to dive

Thu Aug 03, 2017 8:48 pm

I just finished almost a year long process of putting together another U.S. Divers UDS-1 triples unit. I dug for parts for almost a year and I also had to have some parts custom made by my friend who is a machinist. Special thanks go to Herman for fixing that notoriously problem fill hose. We now can fix those fill hoses people!! We also have found someone who can Eddy test the tanks and stamp them. This is the real deal, hydro'd, eddy tested and VE stamped, fill hose is working correctly. The new harness was made by Alan at A & D Adventures. Thanks guys. Can't wait to dive this. This is my 2nd working UDS-1 unit!! Now if I could just add photos. Stupid Photobucket.

[video]https://youtu.be/P3WTMiux__8[/video]

SeaHuntJerry
Master Diver

Re: Another UDS-1 triples unit saved and ready to dive

Thu Aug 03, 2017 10:10 pm

Another really Nice UDS system,Ron is proud of :) it and thanks again to Herman!

couv
Master Diver

Thu Aug 03, 2017 10:31 pm

Very nice Ron. Do I remember correctly that the tanks were 5000 psi? Or am I thinking of a different system?
A sincere THANK YOU to all at VDH who make this wonderful resource available and to all the thoughtful contributors.

SheriffDiver
Master Diver

Thu Aug 03, 2017 11:37 pm

couv wrote:Very nice Ron. Do I remember correctly that the tanks were 5000 psi? Or am I thinking of a different system?
No, tanks are 3,000 psi rated. Tank valve openings are larger hence having difficulty finding anybody to eddy test them. Problem solved now thanks to Don!!

SheriffDiver
Master Diver

Thu Aug 03, 2017 11:42 pm

SeaHuntJerry wrote:Another really Nice UDS system,Ron is proud of :) it and thanks again to Herman!
Thanks to Jerry also for finding the plastic housing while we were at Sea Hunt. Thanks also to Rob for sending a bunch of parts I needed such as tank bands and another fill hose. I do have a spare fill hose now which I'll probably send to Herman to have him work his magic on.... Oh yes thanks to Bryan here too for servicing a bunch of US Divers 2nd stage regulators for me for this unit. Thanks to Don for getting my tanks to the people for their eddy tests and then shipping them back to me. Thanks also to MN School of Diving for providing some extra long 2nd stage hoses for both of my UDS-1 systems.

SheriffDiver
Master Diver

Fri Aug 04, 2017 1:55 am

Hydro stamp and VE Eddy Test stamp on tanks;

Here are the tanks outside of the housing showing the fill hose, the hose that leads to the adapter for the 2nd stage hose, and finally the tank pressure gauge and hose.

Here are the tanks inside the plastic housing with all new stainless hardware:

Here is where the fill hose enters the manifold. Mine has a schrader valve on the end of it to let air in but not out.

Finally here is the new harness Alan made for me. As you can see all the straps are labeled "A" "B" etc and he also included a diagram. Very easy to put together Alan thanks.

SurfLung
Master Diver
First Name: Eben

Fri Aug 04, 2017 9:43 am

- Congratulations Ron. I'm looking forward to seeing the new harness next weekend.
SurfLung
The Freedom and Simplicity of Vintage Equipment and
Vintage Diving Technique are Why I Got Back Into Diving.

Herman
VDH Moderator

Fri Aug 04, 2017 11:34 am

Did I rework the SPG on yours? I know I did on Don's . It sure seems USD went out of their way to make it a real PITA with all the special parts.
I have photos of the repairs/modifications at home. I'll add the photos later this weekend.
Herman

SheriffDiver
Master Diver

Fri Aug 04, 2017 11:49 am

Herman wrote:Did I rework the SPG on yours? I know I did on Don's . It sure seems USD went out of their way to make it a real PITA with all the special parts.
I have photos of the repairs/modifications at home. I'll add the photos later this weekend.
No Herman, you just worked on the fill tube replacing the spool in the swivel fitting.

SheriffDiver
Master Diver

Fri Aug 04, 2017 11:59 am

SurfLung wrote:- Congratulations Ron. I'm looking forward to seeing the new harness next weekend.
At least this harness will fit both of us Eben. You need to dive the UDS-1 next weekend!!

1969ivan1
Plank Owner
First Name: rob

Sat Aug 05, 2017 7:05 am

I think it is great that you guys are making the UDS 1 units work again. Congrats on a job well done. Also, thanks to Herman for helping out on yet another hard project. I know I would be lost without his help on a few things as well.

EHowe
Master Diver
First Name: Edward

Fri Aug 11, 2017 8:19 am

Is the first stage built into the manifold?

SheriffDiver
Master Diver

Mon Aug 14, 2017 11:32 am

EHowe wrote:Is the first stage built into the manifold?
Yes.

SheriffDiver
Master Diver

Mon Aug 14, 2017 11:33 am

Here is the open water first test of the newly assembled UDS-1. Thanks again to all who helped get this working again. Alan the harness worked great. SwimJim and Surflung are in the background.

[video]https://youtu.be/J1uGlffVdb8[/video]

SurfLung
Master Diver
First Name: Eben

Mon Aug 14, 2017 12:26 pm

- Congratulations on a successful restoration Ron. SwimJim and I got a first hand view of how everything came together and worked perfectly. The new Allan Klauda harness brought that thing into a really nice, low profile fit. Looked great! :)
SurfLung
The Freedom and Simplicity of Vintage Equipment and
Vintage Diving Technique are Why I Got Back Into Diving.

Return to “Tanks and Valves”