Bryan
Plank Owner
First Name: Bryan

History of dive computers

Thu Apr 09, 2015 7:48 am

Doing it right should include some common sense, not just blindly following specs and instructions. .Gary D, AWAP on SB

Superlite
Master Diver
First Name: Andrew

Re: History of dive computers

Thu Apr 09, 2015 9:37 am

Good information on the development of dive computers as we know them. Since ORCA there have been lots of improvements and variety of computers.

couv
Master Diver

Sun Apr 12, 2015 5:42 pm

I rarely see mention of the "Farallon Decomputer." It was a (short lived)step between the SOS Bend-o-Matic and the Orca Edge.

I bought one in the mid '70ies but it was recalled just a short time later. It was very inconsistent, so thankfully I got my money back. The other gauges that came with it were not much better. The depth gauge started to get bubbles in the oil, the pressure gauge did not have a blow-out plug and when the bourdon tube in it developed a leak POW! the gauge cover and face plate went sailing past my favorite ear.
A sincere THANK YOU to all at VDH who make this wonderful resource available and to all the thoughtful contributors.

antique diver
Master Diver
First Name: Bill

Sun Apr 12, 2015 7:18 pm

couv wrote:I rarely see mention of the "Farallon Decomputer." It was a (short lived)step between the SOS Bend-o-Matic and the Orca Edge.
We were way better off diving with the SOS than the Farallon!!! They seldom lasted through the first day of diving. Ralph, of Farallon "infamy" was touted by the diving press (aka Skin Diver Magazine) to be a great genius and innovator... but their seemingly cool and ingenious products turned out to be short-lived due to their consistently crappy quality. Some were downright dangerous (DPV and Decomputer), and the company finally bit the dust, as deserved. That's the nicest thing I have to say about them, but there is more that could be said :!:
The older I get the better I was.

captain
Plank Owner

Sun Apr 12, 2015 9:19 pm

I think I went through 3 Farallon Decomputers in 3 dives.
Captain

Bryan
Plank Owner
First Name: Bryan

Mon Apr 13, 2015 9:44 am

antique diver wrote: Ralph, of Farallon "infamy" was touted by the diving press (aka Skin Diver Magazine) to be a great genius and innovator... but their seemingly cool and ingenious products turned out to be short-lived due to their consistently crappy quality. Some were downright dangerous (DPV and Decomputer), and the company finally bit the dust, as deserved. That's the nicest thing I have to say about them, but there is more that could be said :!:
Their tri view low profile mask was very good, moldable bite tabs on the mouthpiece and the snorkel and they were the 1st spring heel straps I can remember...I worked at two stores that carried Farallon but I never saw a Decomputer...
Doing it right should include some common sense, not just blindly following specs and instructions. .Gary D, AWAP on SB

antique diver
Master Diver
First Name: Bill

Mon Apr 13, 2015 8:09 pm

Bryan wrote: Their tri view low profile mask was very good, moldable bite tabs on the mouthpiece and the snorkel and they were the 1st spring heel straps I can remember...I worked at two stores that carried Farallon but I never saw a Decomputer...
Thanks for refreshing my memory about the successful moldable mouthpiece tabs and spring straps! Those worked well. The masks were very popular too, but we had a high return rate on them due to leaks in the frame.

No doubt about the spring fins straps being an innovative and great idea. I'm surprised it took so long for that concept from the 70's to catch on again, and look how popular they are today. I love mine.

OK,I guess I might owe Ralph a partial apology. :? Maybe he just chose the wrong OEM to build his crummy gauges and computers.
The older I get the better I was.

Return to “Modern Era Double Hose Diving”