pclarke1
Lung Diver
First Name: Paul

Phoenix First Stage Installation Instructions

Fri Jan 23, 2015 10:49 pm

Does anyone have the installation instructions for the Phoenix. I assume that this would normally be in the manual and catalog section, but this is unavailable at present.

pclarke1
Lung Diver

Re: Phoenix First Stage Installation Instructions

Sat Jan 24, 2015 2:42 am

Files anywhere is backup and I do not see any instructions. Where would I find them?

Herman
VDH Moderator

Sat Jan 24, 2015 9:31 am

I don't recall ever seeing any specific instructions but it's pretty straight forward, basically it's the same as the DA or RAM nozzle with 1 exception, clocking. I THINK that Bryan now sends the pins trimmed to length, if not you also have to cut the pin to the correct length. Originally he did not.
Here are the basic steps, the way I do it at least.

1. Assemble the Phoenix internals just as you would a Royal AM, you can use the Conshelf or RAM manual as a guide. A HP assembly tool is very helpful, it can be done without one but it's a huge PITA.

2. Install the diaphragm, thrust washer, spring pad, spring and spring adjuster in the main body and tighten the spring retainer. Install the spring adjuster in the spring retainer and install them as a unit. Leave the spring adjuster out as for as possible for now, installing it after the retainer is installed is a lot more difficult to do. Leave the adjuster where it is for now.

3. With the Phoenix upside down, install the pin and pin support. Make sure the pin goes in all the way and is into the HP seat. The pin should be almost flush with the Phoenix nozzle and centered in the hole, if not something is wrong. Install the pin support.

4. While holding the Phoenix upside down (pin support up), install the nozzle gasket and screw on the main body until it's hand tight. Then tighten more, I don't know of a spec on it. I do it by feel- pretty snug but don't go gorilla on it. If you have a wrench that is large enough you can use that but be careful not to over tighten it. I use 2 vise tools, one in opposite ports as handles/wrenches, they give me plenty of leverage without being too much.

5. Assemble the rest of the reg EXCEPT the cans, SLOWLY pressurize it, set the IP and inspect it for leaks and a stable IP. At this point IF the clocking is about where I want it, I hook the reg to a pony tank and submerse it in a bucket of water to check for leaks, correct these as needed. If the clocking is not very close to where I want it, I move to step 6 and do the dunk test later.

6. Next comes clocking the Phoenix. This step is optional, if you are happy with where the ports end up and the hoses routing makes you happy, move on to step 7, otherwise read on. If the ports need to be advanced a little, simply tighten the Phoenix a little more, just do not go gorilla on it. If that does not work then you must remove the Phoenix, add an additional gasket and return to step 3. This step is a little experience and a good bit of dumb luck....and often a compromise. If you are using nylon gaskets be aware they are fairly easy to extrude out so be careful how much you tighten them past sealing.....word of experience, have a few extra gaskets on hand...not that I have ever messed up any of them. :)

7. Recheck the IP, repeat the dunk test, correct any problems and if all is good, finish assembling the reg.

That is how I do it.
Herman

Bryan
Plank Owner
First Name: Bryan

Sat Jan 24, 2015 10:35 am

Sounds about right. Thanks Herman....Not sure we ever wrote the instructions down before like you just did.
Doing it right should include some common sense, not just blindly following specs and instructions. .Gary D, AWAP on SB

Bryan
Plank Owner
First Name: Bryan

Sat Jan 24, 2015 11:21 am

Note...Once you have the Phoenix installed on your regulator and clocked in the position you want it in, there is no need to ever remove it again. When service is eventually needed it can be done with it in place...
Doing it right should include some common sense, not just blindly following specs and instructions. .Gary D, AWAP on SB

pclarke1
Lung Diver

Sun Jan 25, 2015 8:09 pm

Thanks guys, I figured out the assembly by myself, but it was great to have the instructions to check my work. I worked in a slightly difference sequence, but everything went together great and have tuned it to 0.5 inches of water. I will probably take it for a pool test this weekend, then open water first opportunity after that.

Herman
VDH Moderator

Mon Jan 26, 2015 6:13 am

As long as the parts all end up in the right place, sequence does not really matter, that is just how I find the easiest.
Herman

pclarke1
Lung Diver

Sun Feb 08, 2015 10:40 pm

Team,

Thanks for the support in helping me complete my project. I dove my reg for the first time on Saturday afternoon at Pulau Hantu in Singapore. Conditions were poor, visibility around 3-4 meters and chilly (for Singapore) 27C water. So pretty standard for Hantu, but it is the only place in Singapore "approved" by the Port of Singapore Authority for diving. The regulator (DA, Phoenix, HPR) performed great, and by the second dive I was not as focused as much on it and used a lot less air.

I had a little problem the previous weekend in the pool with a leak between the Phoenix and the body, but I dissembled it, checked the gasket and put it back together (this time a little tighter) and the leak was resolved. My only outstanding issue now is that I found a nice vintage US Divers single pressure gauge and made the mistake of trying to replace the hose o'ring in the swivel. Unfortunately this is a strange size (004 or 005 I think), and I don't have any of those. I have placed an order for an assortment of o'rings around this size and I am sure I will find one to fit, then I can get rid of the adapter I am using. For someone who had never done a full service on a regulator and did not have the benefit of someone hand holding me through this (apart from the awesome support of the folks on this forum), I was really pleased with the result (and that I was able to do this). All in all a really fun project and I have another DA in the project box ready to start, after I dive my "new" Conshelf XII and finish my Aquarius project. The XII is ready to go once it gets it pressure gauge back (cannibalized to dive the DA).

To many reg's too little diving I am afraid.

Return to “Phoenix and Argonaut Specialty Area”