Goodlifedivers
Master Diver
First Name: Danny

Brand new to Double Hose diving

Fri Jan 16, 2015 4:33 pm

Hi all,

This morning I pulled the trigger on a Royal aquamaster, which is reported to be in working condition. But we will see. I have a friend who owns a shop and is an aqualung dealer who is more than willing to help me check the reg and all that good stuff.

So, being completely new to Double hose diving my question to y'all is what should I buy to keep in stock for a save a dive kit and what should be my obvious upgrades and what are some upgrades to consider but arn't 100% needed.

My plan of attack when I receive the reg is to open it up and service/rebuild it as needed. I want to be able to use this reg with my backplate and wing and an SPG so I was going to purchase the Phoenix. Is there anything else I need? HP Seats? duckbills? New Hoses? New mouthpiece?

I'm not a stickler on resorting it back to original, I'm looking for reliable and super easy since I have nearly zero experience with servicing regulators and the like but would like to give it a try.

So what should be my plan of attack and shopping list be?

swimjim
Master Diver
First Name: Jim

Re: Brand new to Double Hose diving

Fri Jan 16, 2015 5:54 pm

The first thing to do is read, read, and then read more. I would suggest you start simple, preferably with a VDH backplate. Double hose diving is a different kettle of fish so to speak. Proper position of the regulator between the shoulder blades and having the cans touch the back are critical to success. Start in a pool and just get the feel for it. Learn how to clear your hoses. See how your position in the water affects how the regulator breathes. For instance, if you point your body down, the reg will breath harder. Heads up position, the reg will breath easy. On your back the reg will free flow. Nothing wrong here, just the nature of the beast. As you master the basics and read up on things you'll start to get a better idea which route you want to take. Be fore warned. Once started, one regulator isn't enough. It is a disease after all. Welcome aboard

Master Diver
First Name: Kim

Fri Jan 16, 2015 6:42 pm

Buy more Double Hose Regulators. :roll: :!:

Welcome to the addiction. 8)
Kim,
Ocean Trekker, Dangerous When Wet.
"Rules are for the obedience of fools and the guidance of wise men" Douglas Barder.

Bryan
Plank Owner
First Name: Bryan

Fri Jan 16, 2015 8:12 pm

swimjim wrote:The first thing to do is read, read, and then read more. I would suggest you start simple, preferably with a VDH backplate. Double hose diving is a different kettle of fish so to speak. Proper position of the regulator between the shoulder blades and having the cans touch the back are critical to success. Start in a pool and just get the feel for it. Learn how to clear your hoses. See how your position in the water affects how the regulator breathes. For instance, if you point your body down, the reg will breath harder. Heads up position, the reg will breath easy. On your back the reg will free flow. Nothing wrong here, just the nature of the beast. As you master the basics and read up on things you'll start to get a better idea which route you want to take. Be fore warned. Once started, one regulator isn't enough. It is a disease after all. Welcome aboard
Sage advice from a man who knows.

Welcome aboard
Doing it right should include some common sense, not just blindly following specs and instructions. .Gary D, AWAP on SB

Goodlifedivers
Master Diver

Fri Jan 16, 2015 8:49 pm

What should be my shopping list for things I will need to get this reg up and running assuming the worst and Upgrading it to be able to use all the modern accessories?

Goodlifedivers
Master Diver

Fri Jan 16, 2015 9:40 pm

Awesome! That's exactly what I'm looking for.

As far as a phoenix goes? Would you put that onto a RAM? Or is the hooka adapter and banjo fitting the way to go?

Herman
VDH Moderator

Fri Jan 16, 2015 10:21 pm

Welcome to the board and DH diving.
Besides Jims list I would suggest you go ahead and plan on replacing the hoses and mouthpieces....yea some of the old ones are OK but no where near as nice as the silicone replacements.
The decision between the Phoenix and rebuilding the RAM nozzle and using a hookah port adapter and banjo is up to you. One other thing, to use a banjo your reg MUST have a long style yoke, it will not work with the short version.

Another item you might want to consider are service tools (I make and sell those). Your friend will have a HP nozzle assembly tool since it is the same one used on Conshelfs and the earlier Titans but a ring tool and body wrench are very useful. Some of the best USD DH techs in the world are right here on this board, so don't hesitate for a moment to ask questions.
Herman

8dust
Master Diver

Sat Jan 17, 2015 12:13 am

Welcome aboard!
Freddo
NAVED member #201

Goodlifedivers
Master Diver

Sat Jan 17, 2015 11:52 am

Anyone know where I can get red hoses?

Bryan
Plank Owner

Sat Jan 17, 2015 12:12 pm

Goodlifedivers wrote:Anyone know where I can get red hoses?
Red hoses are only available on the new Argonaut Kraken regulator. Take some time to visit the website store. There are hundreds of items for your double hose and diving in general. Parts are broken down into categories like masks,hoses and mouthpieces, single stage, two stage etc.

There is also a SEARCH box in the website store....Just type in a word or two and it should return what you are looking for.
Doing it right should include some common sense, not just blindly following specs and instructions. .Gary D, AWAP on SB

BigMike
Master Diver
First Name: Mike

Sat Jan 17, 2015 10:14 pm

Welcome to your new hobby/addiction. I found the advice from the folks on this site invaluable when I got into double hose diving. As far as upgrades and spares, you can slice off as much as you want spend. I liked the banjo setup until i joined "team Kraken" and now I dive it anout 90% of the time. I spent a lot of time in the pool just like Jim suggested. Searching the site will help you get a TON of information. Mike
You are never too old to start a new hobby.

Bryan
Plank Owner

Sun Jan 18, 2015 10:29 am

Good advice Mike.... Go Team Argonaut! The forum contains answers to just about any question you could ask regarding double hose regulators. Try out the search feature and see what it returns.

Ron
Site Admin
First Name: Ron

Mon Jan 19, 2015 12:39 am

Welcome man. I would suggest that you read this as well:

https://backup.filesanywhere.com/fs/v.a ... 58677075a2

This is the VDH article on the Royal Aquamaster (RAM). I find that it is nice to understand the concepts and theory about how your regulator works. The other advice already provided is also excellent advice. Once you formulate some specific questions, based upon your experience, then bring them back here and we will flesh them out on the forum. Documenting your experience in learning the double hose here will help others in the future.

Again, welcome :)
The impossible missions are the only ones which succeed. -JYC

Bronze06
Master Diver
First Name: Russell

Thu Jan 22, 2015 6:25 am

A Belated Welcome to You!

The above folks really know what they are talking about and have helped me immensely. You are really going to love this stuff. :D
"Where'd ya get that ol' thang, don't cha' know them thare things ill kill ya!"

Live From the Red Sea,

Russ

Return to “Modern Era Double Hose Diving”