menemsha1968
Skin Diver
First Name: Dean

Duck Bill Eliminator

Sat Oct 11, 2014 3:34 pm

Is there an advantage to the duck bill eliminator over a silicone duck bill valve? It would seem to me that the material of the DBE itself would take up some volume inside of the horn, however slight, and thus be a reduction to the exhaust air passage way. I haven't found my existing duck bills to be all that restrictive to exhalation effort, but then, I've not yet tried the alternative. Any one out there have experience with both, for a comparison?

Bryan
Plank Owner
First Name: Bryan

Re: Duck Bill Eliminator

Sat Oct 11, 2014 4:13 pm

Search feature results

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=5290&hilit=duckbill+eliminator

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=5151&hilit=duckbill+eliminator

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=4414&hilit=duckbill+eliminator

After 4 years and over 500 sold I think it's safe to say it works pretty well.
Doing it right should include some common sense, not just blindly following specs and instructions. .Gary D, AWAP on SB

luis
VDH Moderator
First Name: Luis

Sat Oct 11, 2014 9:33 pm

I have done instrumented flow test on both using good scientific methodology to get good comparison in a controlled environment. The data is here:
viewtopic.php?f=26&t=7133

The bottom line is that the duckbill eliminator has as low flow resistance as the best rubber style duckbill, but not as good as a silicone duckbill. The silicone duckbill has extremely low flow resistance. But when the flow resistance get so low, does it really matter...

Lets just say that I have no plans on ever again buying a duckbill. The convenience of the duckbill eliminator is so superior that I have no intention on ever using a duckbill (with only one exception, just to keep one regulator original).

Now I really only dive a Argonaut Kraken, which has the lower flow resistance of any double hose, all my other regulators that I used to dive have duckbill eliminators.
Luis

Buceador con escafandra autónoma clásica.

menemsha1968
Skin Diver
First Name: Dean

Sun Oct 12, 2014 8:22 pm

Cool; thanks for the info, guys. I'm getting one.
I wonder what the numbers would be if the same tests were to be conducted with the entire housings and valves submerged under water.

Return to “Modern Era Double Hose Diving”