Bryan
Plank Owner
First Name: Bryan

Re: New Argonaut Kraken Owners Post

Tue Jul 01, 2014 8:10 am

Thanks for the kind words Mike.....I didn't even know red Squale masks existed. Show us some pictures in another post if you have the time.
Doing it right should include some common sense, not just blindly following specs and instructions. .Gary D, AWAP on SB

sitkadiver
Master Diver
First Name: Dave

Tue Jul 01, 2014 1:09 pm

DD-10 Arrived in Sitka, Alaska on Saturday, but I wasn't able to get in the water until last night. The reg breathed like a dream - (no surprise there!) - and since the viz was pretty cruddy, I ended up taking her down to 91 feet. The muck started to clear at around 50 feet or so, but the wall drops down into the abbyss. I'll try to post some video later. What a fun dive! A great breathing reg and lots of life in the kelp forest.

My christmas present in June!!

I would make this reg the center piece of my collection if I wasn't too busy diving it.

I was hoping to find an octopus to pose with the Kraken, but there were none to be seen. I'll try again on Saturday. In the mean time, I did doff the reg so I could try to snap a photo of it with this anemone at about 60 feet. I'm glad I didn't have a buddy filming my don and doff, since it would surely have won first prize on America's funniest videos! (I need to practice a bit more)

Here are some shots after hiking back up the trail from the beach:

I do not believe in taking unnecessary risks, but a life without risk is not worth living. - Charles Lindbergh

sitkadiver
Master Diver

Tue Jul 01, 2014 1:29 pm

The video is unedited, but there's a bit of Kraken at the end.

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=un5YasS ... e=youtu.be[/video]
I do not believe in taking unnecessary risks, but a life without risk is not worth living. - Charles Lindbergh

Bryan
Plank Owner

Tue Jul 01, 2014 5:47 pm

Nice one Dave.....What are you going to do when your 2nd Argonaut arrives in a few days??
Doing it right should include some common sense, not just blindly following specs and instructions. .Gary D, AWAP on SB

Wetlens
First Name: Frank

Tue Jul 01, 2014 6:01 pm

Dove with the Kraken at a local quarry today (Fantasy Lake; Rolesville, NC). Couple of nice dives getting used to a DH again - it's been about 40 years... Really like the way it breathes. Easy fit in the mouth, but still have some tweaking to do to get a slight downward twist out. SAC rate was higher than usual on the first dive (.57), but stabilized under .5 on the longer second dive. Tank was setting a bit too high on the first dive, but was able to coax another inch or so out of my Oxycheq soft pack. Much better on the second dive - could not touch my head to the can.

Kraken #12 will get a full workout next week in Bonaire - can't wait.
NCM.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Ron
Site Admin
First Name: Ron

Tue Jul 01, 2014 7:19 pm

Holy smokes Wetlens, I am in pretty good shape and my SAC rate is only .6 average. You need to meet the Greg Barlow. If I had you two were dive buddies you could do some Cousteau stuff on single 72's! :lol:
The impossible missions are the only ones which succeed. -JYC

Bryan
Plank Owner

Tue Jul 01, 2014 7:31 pm

His granddaughter is 12 and her SAC is 1/2 of his :wink: And she was one of the most popular posts on the VDH Facebook page! Thanks for sharing your pictures and please keep us updated as you dive it more. Mouthpiece can be a little tricky to adjust as 1st. At 1st many divers bite down on it harder than necessary but I'm sure you will have it figured out shortly. LOOKS GREAT :D :D

Herman
VDH Moderator

Tue Jul 01, 2014 8:00 pm

If you need any help with the Argo, just give me a call...actually call me tomorrow (company cell) and I can tell you the best way to get the hoses in the proper alignment....
Herman

Nemrod
VDH Moderator
First Name: James

Tue Jul 01, 2014 8:11 pm

Thank you so much Bryan and Luis and all who contributed in all so many different ways. My DD-6 arrived while I was in Florida. I almost had my wife M.C. overnight FedEx it to me but decided not to risk it. So, there it was when I finally arrived home last evening at (4:30 AM, only a short 15 minute check that took six hours), resplendent in red hoses and evil Kraken badge. A promise of many more double hose adventures to come. Kraken DD-6 reporting for duty:

James

sitkadiver
Master Diver

Wed Jul 02, 2014 3:31 am

Bryan wrote:Nice one Dave.....What are you going to do when your 2nd Argonaut arrives in a few days??

Bryan, I guess I'll just have to dive twice as often. :)

BTW, I opened up DD-10 for a post dive inspection and it was dry as a bone. Super nice and clean.

And I must say, I'm loving the little details. One of my favorites is the retaining o-ring on the can screws. What a brilliant idea!

The Argonaut's attention to detail is truly inspiring. It's obvious that this equipment was designed by divers for divers.

Thank You again for such a great regulator.

Bryan
Plank Owner

Wed Jul 02, 2014 7:27 am

Luis thought of the O rings as a way to keep the screws from getting lost. Herman made me a tool to easily install hundreds off them. Glad you are enjoying the regulator! Thanks for the feedback.

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk

Bryan
Plank Owner

Wed Jul 02, 2014 7:28 pm

Hello Bryan -

Here's a photo of yours truly and your artwork hanging out around the propeller of the artificial reef "MARKhAM." Everyone on the dive boat asked me if I was diving a "rebreather." They had never seen a double hose rig. I love my "ARGONAUT!" Please feel free to post on your FB page~

Cheers!

Chaz
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

1969ivan1
Plank Owner
First Name: rob

Wed Jul 02, 2014 8:14 pm

Here is a photo of my Mermaid with her Argonaut Kraken T shirt.
DSCF6967.JPG
DSCF6967.JPG

ivan's mermaid
Master Diver

Wed Jul 02, 2014 9:04 pm

I'm happy to have played a small part in the testing of The Kraken, here's a pic I took of Luis while he was checking IP
checking IP.jpg

Nemrod
VDH Moderator
First Name: James

Thu Jul 03, 2014 11:56 pm

Cool pics one and all. One thing of curiosity, the serial number decal was intended to go where? I assume on the can flat below the body?

No longer constrained by any pretense of vintage imposed by any vintage sourced Phoenix, I can take this new Kraken to the limits of modern minimalism with Miflex hoses and low profile seconds. Whilst in Florida on trip number two down there this year I picked up a SDI solo cert just because the opportunity availed itself and the class turned out to be worthwhile and again reminded me again of why I have long sought the simplest and most transparent configuration for each dive. But, since much of my diving is solo I may not generally run an octo on my new Kraken but instead rely upon my Air Buddy as an alternate and for deeper/difficult dives rely upon my slung pony. Minimalism is driven, for me not just to achieve the simplest configuration in the water, but to reduce as well the girth and weight of my dive bag. This new Kraken is noticeably lighter than my trusty Phoenix I have been toting about. And every little bit counts.

Nem

Return to “Phoenix and Argonaut Specialty Area”