Bryan
Plank Owner
First Name: Bryan

Re: Argonaut News and Update

Sat Apr 05, 2014 3:07 pm

Installing can hardware and labels.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Doing it right should include some common sense, not just blindly following specs and instructions. .Gary D, AWAP on SB

luis
VDH Moderator
First Name: Luis

Sat Apr 05, 2014 4:06 pm

Looking good.

For those who haven't notice, both the nuts and screws are captive. I wanted to avoid loose hardware. The nuts are pressed in and the screws are held by a very small O-ring.
You can see in the pictures.

You can just undo the six screws until they are loose and separated the cans. The screws should stay with the cover even when you turn it up-side-down.

Don't try to pull the screws from the can. There is no need.

No loose hardware should translate into no loss hardware, and a lot more convenient.
Luis

Buceador con escafandra autónoma clásica.

sitkadiver
Master Diver
First Name: Dave

Sat Apr 05, 2014 6:29 pm

luis wrote:No loose hardware should translate into no loss hardware, and a lot more convenient.
That's a brilliant idea. Where's the "Like" button for that development. I can hardly wait to a see a completed reg. Thanks for keeping us posted.
I do not believe in taking unnecessary risks, but a life without risk is not worth living. - Charles Lindbergh

JES
Plank Owner
First Name: Joseph

Sat Apr 05, 2014 9:03 pm

luis wrote:... No loose hardware should translate into no loss hardware, and a lot more convenient.
Nicely done Luis! 8)
NAVED Master Diver #108
'Anima Sana In Corpore Sano’

luis
VDH Moderator
First Name: Luis

Sun Apr 06, 2014 9:38 am

Thanks for the comments.

There are a lot of details that were designed into the cans. Many of the details are not obvious. Just to mention a few of the design considerations: there are structural features, design geometry to improve aerodynamic flow, the cans were made to interface with all the other parts, they also have enhanced compatibility with backpacks and BCs, convenience and easy assembly, etc. The cross-section of the cans is not uniform. The material thickness changes as needed to improve strength and function.

I even made the vent holes just barely large enough so that I can purge the regulator with my finger. If you have very large finger it may not work, but must should be able to reach the edge of the diaphragm and the edges of the can are smooth so you should not get your finger stuck. All you need to do is reach the edge of the diaphragm to purge it.
Luis

Buceador con escafandra autónoma clásica.

Bryan
Plank Owner

Sun Apr 06, 2014 10:17 am

Bending the can label tabs with a custom tool by Herman.....And trying to figure out an assembly process.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Doing it right should include some common sense, not just blindly following specs and instructions. .Gary D, AWAP on SB

Herman
VDH Moderator

Sun Apr 06, 2014 10:39 am

Are the tools working to your satisfaction??
Herman

Robohips77
Master Diver

Thu Apr 17, 2014 4:32 pm

Looks great. As for the assembly process don't you feel a little bit like JYC or Gagnan or Rene? Can you imagine the days of them putting all their regs together in an assembly process? I find the assembly picture the coolest part. :wink: :D 8)
First dives? 1967 and I never lost the fever.

Bryan
Plank Owner

Thu Apr 17, 2014 4:51 pm

Robohips77 wrote:Looks great. As for the assembly process don't you feel a little bit like JYC or Gagnan or Rene? Can you imagine the days of them putting all their regs together in an assembly process? I find the assembly picture the coolest part. :wink: :D 8)
I can imagine Coustau and Rene WATCHING someone put them together :lol: I'm sure Gagnan was pretty proficient at it though.

It is enjoyable but for those who know me or have been unfortunate enough to work with me my OCD kicks in and I find myself getting lost in parts count being equal, X number of parts on the workbench at one time. Counting multiple times how may parts are in one space etc...Right now I'm trying to find a way to assemble and store complete hose assemblies in bulk to have them ready once the regulators are done. Limited workspace calls for creativity. All the weird little specialty tools that Herman has made for me have really made putting stuff together much easier and more consistent.
The center discs for the mouthpieces had to be purchased in bulk and the center threaded post is not 100% true to the center of the disc in most cases and has driven me up the wall for weeks. I finally accepted and moved on from it by telling myself it will give each regulator a little personality of it's own :)

Master Diver
First Name: Kim

Fri Apr 18, 2014 7:33 pm

Kraken regulators with personality, how cool is that. 8)

I hope that the personality of the Kraken I am getting matches my personality :lol:

Perhaps there should be some kind of physiological test to match compatibility :shock:
Kim,
Ocean Trekker, Dangerous When Wet.
"Rules are for the obedience of fools and the guidance of wise men" Douglas Barder.

sitkadiver
Master Diver
First Name: Dave

Fri Apr 18, 2014 10:22 pm

kimJackson1 wrote:Kraken regulators with personality, how cool is that. 8)

I hope that the personality of the Kraken I am getting matches my personality :lol:

Perhaps there should be some kind of physiological test to match compatibility :shock:

Bryan's going to need a more comprehensive liability waiver...... :roll:
I do not believe in taking unnecessary risks, but a life without risk is not worth living. - Charles Lindbergh

Bryan
Plank Owner

Fri Apr 18, 2014 10:41 pm

As hard as I try I dont think any two will be identical..... :wink:

swimjim
Master Diver
First Name: Jim

Fri Apr 18, 2014 10:53 pm

They may not be identical, but they will be cool. Kind of like old Triumph motorcycles. :wink:

Master Diver

Fri Apr 18, 2014 11:11 pm

Non of use are identical either. We all look the same but not. Our personality traits are alike but not. Each Kraken may look identical but not. :wink: :!: :?:

A common thread with each Kraken will bee the 8) factor :!:
Kim,
"Rules are for the obedience of fools and the guidance of wise men" Douglas Barder.

Master Diver

Sat Apr 19, 2014 1:02 am

By the way Bryan I've been diagnosed as being eccentric with a fascination with the occult and the bizarre.

I hope that this will assist you in matching a Kraken with my personality. :twisted: :roll: :wink:
Kim,

Return to “Phoenix and Argonaut Specialty Area”