Forum rules
Discussion of diving methods and equipment available prior to the development of BCDs beyond the horse collar. This forum is dedicated to the pre-1970 diving.

ADVANCED BREATHING SYSTEM (ABS) US DIVERS--HISTORY

Sun Mar 12, 2006 12:37 pm

THE US DIVERS "ADVANCED BREATHING SYSTEMS"==AKA: "ABS"

>>> 1986

JYC's 75 birthday year.
* Recall the parties?
* John Denver's song "Aye Calypso?"
* Cousteau society "Rediscover the world"

US Divers catalog discussed the next 75 years of diving. It was anounced that US Divers marketing, Bob Leite and Mark Faulconor, engineering had joined with the Cousteau team headed by J.M. Cousteau with the assisitance of Albert Falco, Cheif diver and Dominique Summian, Calypso Expidition leader to redefine diving equipment to meet the needs of the next 75 years.

The unit they developed and displayed was in general apperance a close cousin to the future ABS. The Cousteau unit consisted of the following;

* REGULATOR
* Unidenifiable doublehose

* UNIT
* 4 light weight tanks
* Two pointing up (superior) two pointing down (inferior)
* 3-1/2 inch thick
* 5000 PSI (Cuft not identified)

*HELMET
* Streamlined
* Light & UW communications

* Suit
*silver

>>> 1987

Advanced Breathing System introduced

* Page 8 left side of page
* One picture--no fanfare!

* Part numbers
* 2900-00 silver
* 2900-10 blue

* 90 cuft @ 3000 psi
* 3-30 cuft cylinders
* K valve (no reserve)

* Displayed with US Divers silver SBC
* Appears to be a silver SBC # 7626

>>> 1988

* Page #11
* 1/3 page devoted to ABS
* Displayed in silver with blue unit hidden in background

*2/3 page devoted to cylinders offered in black only
* Tripple 30s #2904-00
* Twin 30s #2804-00 and
* Supper pony(30cuft single) #2905-00

>>> 1989

* No catalog page number --possibly page 11
* 2/3 of page devoted to ABS
* ABS offered in Silver only # 2900-00
* Remainder of page devoted to cylinders

* Introduce ABS Limited Edition SBC in silver only
* Medium 7641-10
* Large 7641-20
(no small or XL)

ABS along with numerous other US Divers products on inside front cover

A thought--Isn't it a shame!

All those people who are members of other vintage sites and E bay bidders who have viewed the ABS and have no knowledge of the unit's history?

There is ONLY one place you can immediately obtain information like this and that is ONLY on Bryan's Vintage Double Hose web page.

Spread the word!

William

ABS Information

Sun Mar 12, 2006 4:21 pm

Yes, Information like this is a Treasure and we really appreciate it too. Thank you Sam. William

Sea Explorer
Master Diver

Sun Mar 12, 2006 9:46 pm

Thanks Sam, and as a side note the 5000psi Cousteau tanks were 35cf each. The cost was something extrodinary. Close to $10,000 per set with custom manifold and fibeglass housing as I recall. It was an amazing amount of air in avery small space. The Titanium alloy used was called Vascojet 9000 and was proprietary to the French rockety program. The tanks were molded and not extruded in order to achive thin walls with no voids. I will post photos on Monday.
-Ryan
"A little less conversation a little more action. . ." -Elvis

www.flashbackscuba.com

Sea Explorer
Master Diver

Mon Mar 13, 2006 10:51 am

Here are a couple of photos. The First is the Cousteau 5000 psi set and the second is the ABS with available accesories.
-Ryan
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

www.flashbackscuba.com

1stab
Lung Diver

ABS

Tue Mar 14, 2006 11:59 pm

Thanks for the info and the pics...great stuff.

Now, do I understand that this set belts out 5000 psi? Is there some type of internal pressure reducer in the system? There would have to be, yes?

I wouldn't might having something like this even if it didn't carry all that air. I looks streamlined and balanced.
Diving like back when toilets used to really flush, styrofoam was non-existant in a car, and seltzer water wasn't so damn expensive.

Sea Explorer
Master Diver

Wed Mar 15, 2006 12:24 am

The Cousteau set was 5000psi (no reducer) and they used unmodified Spiro Royal Mistrals :o It is hard to believe but I have spoken with the chief diver. The ABS System is only 3000psi. -Ryan

www.flashbackscuba.com

cheeko8080
Lung Diver
First Name: Clint

Re: ADVANCED BREATHING SYSTEM (ABS) US DIVERS--HISTORY

Tue Jul 19, 2011 10:21 am

Does anyone know how the SBC connected up to the ABS? The ABS bands had 2 vertically spaced large threaded holes that where reachable through the plastic casing. The SBCs that US Divers offered at this time don't seem to have 2 holes like a modern steel backplate would. What pieces were used to make this connect up to the BC?
WARNING: Double hose addiction imminent!

pazzanofj
First Name: Fred

Sat Sep 03, 2011 9:50 pm

Can someone please answer "cheekko's 19 july 2011 question ; " what pieces were used to connect the ABS tank setup to the BC" ? and where can I get a copy of the owners manual for the ABS system and the earlier UDS-1 ?

Herman
VDH Moderator

Sun Sep 04, 2011 7:03 am

I have some photos a member sent me a while back, I have them at home- away for the weekend. As best as I can tell, there was 2 parts to the adapter. A plastic inverted "T" shaped adapter that went inside the BC and 2 large bolts that went thru the entire assemebly and mated with the 2 threaded holes in the ABS. The BC was sandwiched between the adapter and the ABS housing. The bolts had large (2-3 inch- guessing based on the photos) plastic heads and are 9/16 thread pitch, not sure how long but in the 1 to 1.5 inch range, again guessing based on the photos. I have the ABS tank assembly but not the BP adapter or bolts. I plan to make some bolts or something similar once I find an acceptable back plate....and my 200 other projects get done. :)

If either of you would like copies of the photos I have, shoot me a PM with your email address and I will forward them to you next week.
Herman

Diverdon
Diver
First Name: Don

Mon May 15, 2017 12:25 am

The BC that came with mine is a meduim

Too small with a drysuit so I am using a ss backplate. The drysuit replaces my BC

My buddy in the background modified an XL Cousteau BCD for use his ABS system. As you may be able to tell I have only a backplate on mine.

Return to “Classic Vintage Diving”