SurfLung
Master Diver
First Name: Eben

Wazee June 29-30

Fri Jun 22, 2018 9:17 am

Wazee June 29-30
- One last chance to get in some good diving before the 4th of July holiday. Come for both days or just make it a day trip. Wazee is an actual Diving "Destination" in Black River Falls, WI. It's a county park with diving access points all around the lake and underwater sights to see.... Like a sunken Chris Craft launch, wishing well, compass course, platforms, fish cribs, wall dives, etc... And usually good visibility from 25-40 feet.
- My wife Jill and I are heading down after work Thursday night and staying at Comfort Inn. We'll get a hot breakfast and an early start on the diving Friday morning. I'm bringing enough air for 3 dives plus my scooter. :D
SurfLung
The Freedom and Simplicity of Vintage Equipment and
Vintage Diving Technique are Why I Got Back Into Diving.

antique diver
Master Diver
First Name: Bill

Re: Wazee June 29-30

Fri Jun 22, 2018 9:21 am

Can you get Jill to carry the Scooter for you?
The older I get the better I was.

SurfLung
Master Diver

Tue Jun 26, 2018 10:50 am

Ah yes... The UV26 DPV BEAST is very close to being a crew served weapon... But I can still handle getting it into and out of the car myself.

Jill's got a new 3/5mm hooded vest she'll be trying for the first time at Wazee. I'll be diving my latest Twin 38s after having repaired the J-Valve. These are the two fired department tanks YOU gave me Bill. I made them into a really nice set of 38s. Last time I wore them to Wazee I got two dives out of them. The second dive I was watching my SPG and waiting to run out of air so I could try the J-valve reserve. I finally felt it running out and pulled the reserve... NOTHING.

When I took it apart back home, I found the reserve was giving air in the halfway position but was closed in the fully up and fully down positions. Weird, eh? Turns out this manifold must have been serviced incorrectly by somebody in the last 60 years... The thick nylon bushing was reversed, which made it ride in a higher position... Causing the On/Off position of the J-Valve to be out of sequence. I fixed and now it works like new.

I'll be diving these and a bunch of other extremely fun vintage diving gear. Kind of fun to look back on that project... It was posted here on the VDH forum: viewtopic.php?f=41&t=9288&p=74725&hilit=twin+38#p74725
SurfLung

antique diver
Master Diver
First Name: Bill

Tue Jun 26, 2018 7:00 pm

Glad you like the 38's. I made a nice set for myself and still have a couple of mis-matched singles. One carries an original CGA346 air valve and I use it as a spare with my Scott Hydropak rig. The other will be set up for regular Scuba yoke reg, just like Francie's first diving lung in about 1966-7. Somewhere I have a photo of her wearing that with a HW Scuba Star reg and no pressure gauge in Jacobs Well Cave on what may have been her second dive ever. Scary thought in retrospect :shock: .

Good to hear you got the valve working ok. Have fun this weekend.
The older I get the better I was.

SurfLung
Master Diver

Thu Jun 28, 2018 9:14 am

Some Diving THURSDAY, Too.
- Sheriff Diver Ron texted that he'll be at Wazee all day Thursday and plans to make 3 dives with vintage triples, UDS-1s, Voit 50 Fathom... to name a few. So if you can't make it Friday or Saturday, you can dive with Ron on Thursday. :)
SurfLung

SheriffDiver
Master Diver
First Name: John

Sat Jun 30, 2018 4:17 pm

Here you go Eben since you couldn't join me.

SurfLung
Master Diver

Mon Jul 02, 2018 9:43 am

Wazee Dive Report
- We had a split turnout for this event. Sea Hunt Jerry and Sheriffdiver Ron couldn't make it Friday so they went a day early and dove on Thursday. As you can tell from Ron's video above, the water and weather were beautiful... Both days. The two of them estimated visibility from 15-30 feet.
- Friday we had me, my wife Jill, Nanett, and Jay diving. We all met at Sherwood Forest access point at 8:00 AM. We did our deep dive down the slope, between the trees to the platform that sits on the edge of a cliff. About 60 feet deep there and cold. Jill says her hooded vest made a huge difference from other dives. We swam back to the ridge and then along it at about 30-40 feet deep until the ridge came down to our level. Then we swam over the ridge and out to the sunken Chris Craft launch. Played around there awhile. Swam back through the concrete tubes and spent our safety stop poking around the fish cribs. About a 25 minute dive. We all still had some air left and decided to do another short dive... We split up. Jay and I swam out along the ridge to find the big plastic "Lego Man"... A recent addition somebody made by bolting together plastic drums... It's pretty huge. Swam back through the forest and ended with about a 20 minute dive and still air to spare.
- After a decent surface interval, we all got fresh tanks and I gave alternating scooter rides as we swam along the shoreline about 20 feet deep... We went all the way to the inlet of the swimming beach and back. That one was about a 35 minute dive. We all still had air left so we just did our own thing for one more short dive. I drove the scooter some more while Nanett and Jill swam along the "wall".
- There were two dry suit divers hanging around in the sand above the ridge. They were done diving but stayed there kicking sand down the ridge and stirring things up. I didn't notice that until I swooped the scooter down the ridge and straight into a cloud of MILKY blue water. This is an area that was clear only a few minutes before when Jay and I came back from LegoMan. I swear that cloud looked like someone had injected something into the water... I immediately thought it was something chemical and tried to find the girls to warn them. When I reached them, they were already quite a ways further down the shore and away from the cloud.
- So I came back to the two divers and asked them if they knew anything about it. They said it was just silt stirred up. But they stayed there kicking sand down the slope and ruining visibility. And it got me wondering if they were covering it up with the kick up silt? I'm suspicious of what is done to lakes in the name of "management". Those guys didn't look official. And my suspicions could be unfounded. Weird.
- After that we cooked up some brats and had a great lunch with Wisconsin cheese curds, chips, pop and Nanett's home made cookies.
- We all hit the road by 2:30 and arrived home Friday night. :D
SurfLung

Return to “Vintage Dive Trips or Gatherings”