SurfLung
Master Diver
First Name: Eben

Fortune Pond Trips Coming Up

Thu Aug 17, 2017 1:53 pm

More Fortune Pond Trips Scheduled
- The past few Summers, we've tried to schedule a good dive trip every two weeks except for July. We would alternate between Fortune Pond and Wazee. Well, last year Wazee was bad visibility 3 out of 4 trips and this Spring it started out poor. I haven't been back there since. Apparently it got better 15-20 feet viz but then last weekend we got an eyes on diver report that visibility was only 10 feet.
- I got to talking it over with SwimJim, Rich and Ron and we figure that until we find a replacement for Wazee, we'll just have to schedule more trips to Fortune. We realize that Fortune is not for everybody... But we we also want to say, Everybody is Welcome! :)

Aug 25-26 Fortune Pond MI. This one's coming up fast. Weekend after this one. Conditions were so good on our recent visit that we just HAVE to get back up there for more clear water diving.

Sept. 15-16 Fortune Pond, MI. About a month away. Might start seeing Fall colors by then.
SurfLung
The Freedom and Simplicity of Vintage Equipment and
Vintage Diving Technique are Why I Got Back Into Diving.

swimjim
Master Diver
First Name: Jim

Re: Fortune Pond Trips Coming Up

Thu Aug 17, 2017 6:25 pm

I'll be there for the September 15-16 dive. I may even bring a fresh batch of chili!

Jim

SheriffDiver
Master Diver
First Name: John

Sat Aug 19, 2017 4:55 pm

Hmm. Gonna try and make both....

SurfLung
Master Diver

Tue Aug 22, 2017 10:04 am

- Rich and I have reserved the "Big Room" at Lakeshore Motel for $108... 2 bedrooms, living room, dining and kitchen for only $108. That's 2 queen size beds and 2 couch beds. Split 4 ways only $27 per diver with a free continental breakfast to boot! The 2 couch beds are not yet spoken for.

- We're going all out (maybe just crazy) on this trip. Last night we were lashing down 6 sets of double tanks on Rich's trailer... So that we won't have to load down the SUV too much. More tanks are going in the SUV plus all of our dive gear and the 100 lb UV-26 Scooter. We were looking at all of this and thinking, "When did we get so complicated and heavy?" Well, we're okay now. We must have all of our toys with us when we dive the magnificent depths of Fortune Pond! :)
SurfLung

SheriffDiver
Master Diver

Sun Aug 27, 2017 12:53 am

For all of you who didn't make it, here is a video of our 2nd dive on Saturday morning. Yes, you are seeing not 1 but 2 US Divers UDS-1 triple tank units enclosed in plastic housings. Wonder when the last time two of these were dove together?? I was borrowing Surflung's twin tanks and I decided to use my US Divers Non-magnetic double hose for the first time since being rebuilt. Worked great. Diving was awesome both days.

[video]https://youtu.be/2fKfjmCl5hg[/video]

SheriffDiver
Master Diver

Sun Aug 27, 2017 12:55 am

I just can't believe how neat those yellow housings look being dove underwater. Great clear footage. Thanks Eben for finding that temp gauge and putting it back where it is supposed to be. Water is 70 feet deep here and 42 degrees!!

[video]https://youtu.be/bP3fAnPcqQI[/video]

SheriffDiver
Master Diver

Sun Aug 27, 2017 1:05 am

Diving my original newly rebuilt Voit Blue 50 Fathom double hose with my newly acquired triple tanks. Worked perfect at 85 feet and 42 degree water.

[video]https://youtu.be/qRwEtD8PBpI[/video]

swimjim
Master Diver

Sun Aug 27, 2017 7:50 am

Looks like a good time was had by all. See you in September! :)

swimjim
Master Diver

Sun Aug 27, 2017 7:50 am

By the way, thanks for posting the video's!

SeaHuntJerry
Master Diver

Sun Aug 27, 2017 6:56 pm

SheriffDiver wrote:I just can't believe how neat those yellow housings look being dove underwater. Great clear footage. Thanks Eben for finding that temp gauge and putting it back where it is supposed to be. Water is 70 feet deep here and 42 degrees!!

[video]https://youtu.be/bP3fAnPcqQI[/video]
Looking cool!

SeaHuntJerry
Master Diver

Sun Aug 27, 2017 6:57 pm

Rectal?

SheriffDiver
Master Diver

Sun Aug 27, 2017 9:44 pm

Hey Eben, Look how CLEAR the water was our very first dive!!

[video]https://youtu.be/3v92TD7olT0[/video]

SheriffDiver
Master Diver

Sun Aug 27, 2017 9:55 pm

A new visitor came to Fortune Pond.... I wonder how long Scuba Goose will last there before somebody steals him.

[video]https://youtu.be/hY0EcQK3-EI[/video]

Bryan
Plank Owner
First Name: Bryan

Mon Aug 28, 2017 7:02 am

You guys keep it up and Fortune Pond will become the Ginnie Springs of the north :)
Doing it right should include some common sense, not just blindly following specs and instructions. .Gary D, AWAP on SB

SurfLung
Master Diver

Mon Aug 28, 2017 12:58 pm

- What a great trip! Friday was a bright and sunny day with no clouds. Water at Fortune was even clearer than it was last trip and the bright sun light helped a lot. Rich and I hauled a trailer this time to spread the load of bringing 6 sets of double tanks plus another set and three more tanks in the car, plus the 100 lb UV_26 scooter. The trailer worked out well and we got to bring ALL of our toys with us!
- We got in three dives on Friday and 2 more on Saturday. Friday we dove to set up Ron's Scuba Goose... Depths down to 82 feet. 2nd dive we played around with the scooter... Got a better feel for how to drive it, let Rich ride it awhile, too. 3rd dive we left Ron with the Scooter and Rich and I followed the 60' deep ridges almost all the way to the other side of the pond and came back along the 30-20 ft depths. That one was 53 minutes.
- Saturday we were in for a number of TREATS. The weather dawned bright and sunny with just a little periodic haziness. After we arrived at the Pond, a couple of guys with re-breathers showed up and they were really nice about explaining how everything works. Three other conventional sport divers joined us and we had a great time. Then, Ron suited Rich and I up in his UDS-1 units while he dove my Twin Sportsways 42s. I have to say Ron has these things running perfectly. I stopped descending at 15 feet to check for problems but everything worked so well, I eventually just dove right on down to 70 feet and almost forgot I was wear the UDS-1. There's a part in Ron's video where you can see me reaching into some debris to retrieve our thermometer... I felt totally neutral in both buoyancy and level flight.
- For our first dive on Saturday, Rich and I took the scooter ALL THE WAY around the pond at 60 ft deep. Rich held onto my ankles and the UV-26 towed us at medium high speed and 7 pitch propeller setting... A good brisk speed, too. Only took 30 minutes. Scenery was spectacular.
- Before checking out, we made another reservation at the Lakeshore Motel for our next Fortune Pond Dive Trip... September 15-16.
Bryan wrote:You guys keep it up and Fortune Pond will become the Ginnie Springs of the north :)
Ha Ha... I like that idea! :)
SurfLung

Return to “Vintage Dive Trips or Gatherings”