SurfLung
Master Diver
First Name: Eben

What's The Point?

Mon Jun 05, 2017 3:42 pm

What's the Point of Lake Management?
- I just returned from a weekend dive trip to Lake Wazee in Black River Falls, WI and the visibility was 2-5 feet. If you swam down to 50 feet you could see 10-20 feet dimly... There wasn't much light making it down through the cloudy water above..
- My question about "What's the Point of Lake Management?" is based on this weekend and the poor visibility of three other trips LAST Summer. Last year on our first trip to Wazee, the visibility was ruined because the lake management had dumped a silty sand at each dive access point... In an effort to make beaches. The result was cloudy water. The second trip, they were vacuuming "Invasive Species" of weeds and the filter bags they used to catch the weeds only served to break the weeds into very fine re-seeding pieces that clouded the heck out of the water again. The third attempt last year was a treasure dive put on by a local dive shop. Visibility wasn't worth the trip but we still had fun and it wasn't the dive shop's fault the lake wasn't clear. I don't know what the lake management might have done (if anything) that time.
- Then this past weekend we get there and it's really bad visibility. This time the water level is high and they claim its due to run off. Okay, so we got more silt from the silty sand running off?
- There is no reason to go to Lake Wazee other than the clear water. That's the whole point. So, why does the lake management do things that wreck the water clarity... Right in the middle of the diving season? Don't they KNOW what the point is?
SurfLung
The Freedom and Simplicity of Vintage Equipment and
Vintage Diving Technique are Why I Got Back Into Diving.

Return to “Vintage Dive Trips or Gatherings”