Why Don't You Attend Vintage Diving Events?

Poll ended at Sun Sep 18, 2016 11:53 am

I don't like the location
28%
Too expensive
7%
Don't have the time
48%
Don't like the people
No votes
Don't have the gear
3%
Feel Intimidated
3%
Don't feel welcome
10%

Total votes: 29
USdiver
Master Diver

Re: Why you don't attend Vintage Equipment Gatherings??

Tue Sep 06, 2016 11:32 am

I didn't respond to the survey as I try to attend vintage equipment gatherings each year, and dive using my vintage equipment as often as possible...

As chance would have it, I live in one of the most active areas as concerns vintage divers in the country, Southwest Ohio. Serendipity is a wonderful thing, but if you try to analyze why would there be so many of us in this area, you'd just scratch your head and give up, there is no logical explanation. That said, there is a great crew from all over North America who participate in our little corner of the scuba diving community. I encourage those of you who haven't yet attended a vintage equipment gathering to do so, we are a friendly bunch who welcome all like minded divers - those who see beyond the "must have the latest and greatest" mantra so common in our sport, and see the value of the pioneering efforts made by US Divers, Voit, Healthways, Dacor, etc.

One common point of reference seems to be that nearly all of us became fascinated with scuba through exposure to either the televised Sea Hunt series or The Undersea World of Jacques Cousteau, programs that promoted underwater exploration, while featuring double hose regulators and minimal amounts of other equipment. Some of us have been diving since the days when the DH regulator was the norm, or at least, since it was not uncommon to see one or more in use at a dive site.

For the new convert, or someone with curiosity and a C-card, I recommend that you approach the vintage equipment user when you encounter him or her, ask some open minded, open ended questions about their gear, and you will almost assuredly receive an historical account of their Mistral or Broxton, plus maybe even get a chance to try one out. A couple summers ago, I made a commitment to only dive my vintage equipment for the season. It resulted in at least five or six long conversations with divers of all ages, and the lending of my Mistral on two occasions.

Come by a gathering when you can, it is a great way to spend a day, or several.
Too DAAM Many double hoses, It's not a hobby, it's an addiction.

Ron
Site Admin
First Name: Ron

Wed Sep 07, 2016 1:15 pm

I normally don't contribute to these sorts of things when I do not have something positive to say, but you did ask.

I don't attend events any more because of 1 person in particular. My wife made me promise not to pay lots of money to attend things that frustrate me. I know Dave doesn't attend these things because of the same person. Having said that, 99% of the people you run into in the vintage diving community are amazing. You can fight people all the time, and argue, and force things like I did years ago here, or you can just smile, nod, and do whatever you were going to do anyway. These days, I am more of a smile and just do what I wanted to do anyways type of a guy.

I will attend these events again when he stops showing up. Until then, I just dive around here. Diving is supposed to be fun right? I used to make the drive 15 hours when I lived in Florida and just avoid the guy, but if my wife and I are going to spend 500 dollars each on airfare, and 150 bucks a night on a hotel, then we are going to enjoy ourselves. This year, we went to Kauai and dove vintage gear there. It was totally stress free for me, and for my wife. I've got time. I'm one of the younger guys here so I can wait people out. I'm done arguing with people on the Internet.

Obviously I have skin in the game as I supported the Argonaut financially and by diving it, and I help design and maintain the website. I'm not going anywhere.

Again, you did ask.
The impossible missions are the only ones which succeed. -JYC

8dust
Master Diver

Wed Sep 07, 2016 8:54 pm

Time, time, time, money, and less time.
I'm lucky to still have a kid at home, and for the next 4 years it's my ambition to make it every last youth sports game, performance, or whatever he's doing that I can, because those days are comming to a close soon. That said, I absolutely love the relationships that I've built here over the years, and have so many great memories from our events. 90% of the time it's a schedule issue for me. It killed me not to make it to the St. Lawrence SD, but that one was a money issue as well. There have been SO many great opportunites, it's painful to miss any of them, including Luis' trips to Coz, Herm's to Bonaire, or Jim's Great White North gatherings. Soon enough it will be just me and the freaky-old-lady, and not long after that I'll be retired with tons of time.... downside though is that by that point, I'll be as feeble & smelly as the rest of you old dirty goofballs. About 1 Dad-only event a year is what I can get off the leash for these days. Will definately miss seeing yall at White Star in a few weeks.
Freddo
NAVED member #201

Ron
Site Admin
First Name: Ron

Thu Sep 08, 2016 7:17 pm

Regarding the "don't like the location" option:

Is it because sometimes the venue has colder water? What do those of you who didn't like the location mean? It's not a money issue or a time issue if you don't like the location. Would some of you 8 folks who didn't like the location mind expanding on that a bit?

I know now that I am a cold water diver, that I don't like traveling far for cold water. I like warm water and board shorts for my vacation diving now. I'm just curious if maybe some of you have similar sentiments.
The impossible missions are the only ones which succeed. -JYC

Return to “Vintage Dive Trips or Gatherings”