Greg Barlow
VDH Moderator
First Name: Greg

Chuuk (Truk) Trip Interest

Sun Aug 28, 2016 8:40 pm

Rob and I have been discussing a trip to Chuuk for a number of years. We are both interested in WWII Pacific Theatre history, and this would be the ultimate wreck diving trip in that regard. Our thoughts are that we spend at least 10 days in the lagoon diving from a live aboard. The dry season is during our winter months, December through March. We are looking at 2018, as the booking for the top live aboards are at least a year in advance.

This should be the dive trip of a lifetime. Bryan, along with some others whom I know, that have made the trip were highly impressed. The entire trip will take at least 14 days, as the travel time is intensive.

A boat full of VDH divers would be icing on the cake. If you are seriously interested, let's get some preliminary plans together.

Greg
Greg Barlow
PADI Assistant Instructor
TDI Adv. EAN
TDI Decompression Procedures
IANTD Full Cave
NSS/CDS Full Cave

georgeaustin
Master Diver
First Name: george

Re: Chuuk (Truk) Trip Interest

Mon Aug 29, 2016 10:35 am

I missed my Truk trip last month as work schedule interfered. It's a trip I'd be very interested in trying again in 2018

Bryan
Plank Owner
First Name: Bryan

Mon Aug 29, 2016 10:53 am

Price of Argonaut Kraken regulators just doubled.....I'm GOING :D :D :D
In 40 some years of diving I have never been to a place that compares to it. The getting to and from there is EXHAUSTING but words nor pictures cannot do justice to the wonders you see. It is a very humbling experience diving there when you consider what went on 70 plus years ago at the wreck sites.
Doing it right should include some common sense, not just blindly following specs and instructions. .Gary D, AWAP on SB

DAAquamaster
Skin Diver
First Name: Larry

Mon Aug 29, 2016 2:31 pm

Our local shop has trip booked with a week in Chuk (Truk) and a week in Palau in 2017 and they are reaching out of the area to fill it as the price is steep - in the $7,500 range.

There's a time when I wanted to go, but that was about 30 years ago when the wrecks were younger and the diving a bit more adventurous. Now.. I think of all the other stuff I could do and all the other dives I can make with the $15,000 it would cost me and my wife to go.

georgeaustin
Master Diver
First Name: george

Mon Aug 29, 2016 8:37 pm

When I was a brand new diver, I was working a little bit at Ken Seybold's rather successful dive travel company - Bay Travel in Corona del Mar, California.

I walked in one day and Ken was poring over 8X10 glossies taken by himself and Al Giddings (who was there too, along with Sylvia Earle) of the San Francisco Maru.

Ken was also the photo editor of Skin Diver mag. So from that day I have always wanted to go to Truk. It would be the trip of a lifetime to dive with Blue Lagoon or my trip last month was supposed to be from some liveaboard.

I'm not interested in warm towels or candy on my pillows or people assembling my rig in the morning while I take coffee and crumpets in my stateroom. I like to sleep on the deck and dive my ass off.

USdiver
Master Diver

Thu Sep 01, 2016 11:38 am

It's always been on my bucket list since seeing a NatGeo back in the 1970s. Put me down for a tentative spot.

Going to be eating a lot of ramen for the next couple of years.
Too DAAM Many double hoses, It's not a hobby, it's an addiction.

1969ivan1
Plank Owner
First Name: rob

Thu Sep 01, 2016 7:52 pm

We have a lot of people showing interest i this adventure. I think it would be fantastic if we could fill or almost fill a 16 diver boat with Kraken divers. We would be in control of what wrecks we dove and everything else. Greg is working really hard on the details right now and we are doing a lot of research with people that have gone before us. Don't be shy and you dont have to be a double hose diver to join us.
I have always been a student of WW 2 history and this is a dream trip for me. The cost is not small but some day I will be dead and I can't take it with me.

ScubaLawyer
Master Diver
First Name: Mark

Thu Sep 01, 2016 8:26 pm

Keep me on the maybe list. I dove Truk extensively back in the late 70s and through 1981 leading dive tours. I lived in Guam in 1988-89 and dove Truk quite a bit then too. I would return in a heartbeat. It's only a matter of time and finances. Mark.
"The diver who collects specimens of underwater life has fun and becomes a keen underwater observer. .. seek slow-moving or attached organisms such as corals, starfish, or shelled creatures." (Golden Guide to Scuba Diving, 1968) :D

couv
Master Diver

Fri Sep 02, 2016 11:17 am

Truk was the trip if my lifetime so far. I dove there in the late 80ies off the Thorfinn. The boat was anchored in the middle of the lagoon so small boats were used to ferry divers (5 or 6 plus a guide) to the various wrecks. This way, we did not have the entire liveaboard load of divers crowding the wrecks, and one could choose 1 of 4 sites to visit at dive time. The Thorfinn is probably a bit more spartan than the more high end liveaboards, but getting five dives in a day was no problem.

If you've never dived Truk, put it on your bucket list and prepare to be awed.

Rob, Bryan, and myself all have stuff for sale on eBay right now.......just saying.

Couv
A sincere THANK YOU to all at VDH who make this wonderful resource available and to all the thoughtful contributors.

1969ivan1
Plank Owner
First Name: rob

Sun Sep 04, 2016 9:53 pm

I am already working on the special t shirt for this event!

Greg Barlow
VDH Moderator
First Name: Greg

Mon Sep 05, 2016 5:32 pm

At this point, I am planning to correspond with the various companies offering liveaboard services in Truk. While the land based operations have their merits, my thoughts are that by going with the liveaboard venue, we will be able to dive a larger area of dive sites. Considering the expense of such a trip, I am in favor of 10 days rather than 7.

A ballpark estimate of the total cost will be around $7,000. I realize that is a considerable amount, but for what is described by many, as the "dive trip of a lifetime", it promises to be worth every dollar.

Micronesia has the best diving conditions, and least amount of rain, during December through March. My thoughts are February or March 2018, as that avoids the holiday season. The final decision will be made on the availability of ship cabins.

If we can get enough VDH divers on board, we should be able to collectively make dive site decisions. It will also allow me to get a price for each diver.

So, at this point, I need to get a pretty accurate number of those interested in going. After getting such a number, I will contact each individual with the available dates for the trip. Of course, that may be from one time slot to several. If you prefer to email me privately, feel free to do so at my Yahoo address, [email protected].

Greg
Greg Barlow
PADI Assistant Instructor
TDI Adv. EAN
TDI Decompression Procedures
IANTD Full Cave
NSS/CDS Full Cave

Robohips77
Master Diver

Sun Sep 11, 2016 5:19 pm

Im a maybe. Depends on the total cost. I have a wedding coming up most likely and if so then i will have to say no. Ill know more this winter.
First dives? 1967 and I never lost the fever.

Bryan
Plank Owner
First Name: Bryan

Sun Sep 11, 2016 5:29 pm

Does Connie know you plan on getting married again.....I think that's against the rules or something even in Ohio.
Doing it right should include some common sense, not just blindly following specs and instructions. .Gary D, AWAP on SB

adairrj
Master Diver
First Name: Adair

Sun Sep 11, 2016 11:02 pm

Some pictures from Truk:
*******Adair*******

SeaHuntJerry
Master Diver

Mon Sep 12, 2016 7:38 am

Really cool thanks for the pictures :twisted: