EHowe
Master Diver
First Name: Edward

Re: How About Sand Dog 2016??

Mon Feb 15, 2016 3:20 pm

Definitely some interest here for a Great lakes SD. Never dove fortune but have been wanting to get there for awhile. Had a blast on a couple of wrecks with Swimjim last year. Just need to make firehouse and family schedule work.

Creed
Master Diver

Wed Mar 02, 2016 6:01 pm

What's the nearest sizable airport?
"Haul the sheet in as we ride on the wind that our
forefathers harnessed before us
Hear the bells ring as the tide rigging sings.
It's a son of a gun of a chorus" - Jimmy Buffet

swimjim
Master Diver
First Name: Jim

Wed Mar 02, 2016 7:19 pm

Green Bay Wisconsin. You might check Iron Mountain Michigan. Iron Mountain is the kind of place you would expect to see DC-3's still flying. LOL

Jim

USdiver
Master Diver

Wed Mar 09, 2016 7:50 pm

Great Lakes, yeah! I've been on some awesome wrecks in lake Huron, and have watched some of the Milwaukee area wrecks on youtube with envy. I'd be up for a Fortune Pond, Lake Michigan outing, or a Georgian Bay (Lake Huron) quest to Tobermory, ON.
Too DAAM Many double hoses, It's not a hobby, it's an addiction.

SheriffDiver
Master Diver
First Name: John

Sat Mar 26, 2016 5:22 pm

swimjim wrote:If anyone is interested, Minnesota is meeting up with Wisconsin at Fortune Pond May 6th and 7th. The water will be cold, but there at minimum will be bratwurst and possibly hot chili to thaw you out between dives.
I could possibly make this one.

Robohips77
Master Diver

Mon Apr 11, 2016 4:08 pm

Any more thoughts on this one? I may have to break out my DUI CN 200.
First dives? 1967 and I never lost the fever.

swimjim
Master Diver

Mon Apr 11, 2016 5:39 pm

I've been thinking about lashing something together for Fortune Pond in August. I was going to talk to the folks at the Lake Shore Motel in Iron River to see if there is a weekend that is better then others. I know how motivated the troops are for diving where the water is cold though. Mo later...........

Jim

swimjim
Master Diver

Mon Apr 11, 2016 5:50 pm

Okay, I called the Lake Shore Motel so here you go..... Sand Dog 2016, Above the Frozen Tundra! August 19th - 21st at Fortune Pond in Crystal Falls upper Michigan! For details see the 1st page of this thread.

swimjim
Master Diver

Mon Apr 11, 2016 8:26 pm

I was thinking we have a brand new dive shop in Port Washington. The paint is still wet it's so new. He's got a boat and will be running six packs out to the local wrecks. That might make a nice Thursday 8/18/16 thing for those who come up a day early. The lovely ViAnn, my better half, works at the Holiday Inn where his boat is moored. If there is interest, I will see about getting a block of rooms for those interested. I was thinking maybe visiting the Mahoning, http://www.wisconsinshipwrecks.org/Vess ... keMichigan, https://vimeo.com/56570188 or the Niagara, http://www.wisconsinshipwrecks.org/Vess ... keMichigan .
Both of these wreck are broken up, but if you do any study at all on them you will find them to be interesting. Ask Scuba Museum Rob, he been on both off the MV Swimjim. For those willing to brave these waters, I personally dive dry, but in August, you could get by with a 7 MM suit. I talk to the dive shop owner/ boat captain. I'm sure he will want what every other charter wants, so break out the Kraken, Phoenix or properly plumbed Royal or DA with a wing/BC etc, etc. You know the score.
Above all give me some feed back. I would really like to get a feel for who's coming and when so I can nail down the details. Thanks!

Swimjim

Return to “Vintage Dive Trips or Gatherings”