EHowe
Master Diver
First Name: Edward

Diving with Swimjim

Mon Jul 13, 2015 11:12 am

Last week I was able to meetup with Swimjim while camping with the family in Wisconsin. I took me out on his boat to dive a couple of local wrecks near Port Washington. Jim had his Kracken #DD3 and a nice warm drysuit and I had my DAAM/Cyclone diving wet. We headed out of Port Washington Marina to the wreck of the Niagra. The Niagra was a paddle wheel steamer built in 1846 that caught fire and sank in 1856 with the loss of 60 lives.
http://wisconsinshipwrecks.org/Vessel/D ... keMichigan
After fun but cold 50 degree dive we climbed back on board and headed out the Mahoning. The Mahoning was a square rigged brig hauling lumber that was being towed by the tug W.K. Muir back to the Davidson shipyard in Milwaukee for major repairs when she foundered and sank.
http://wisconsinshipwrecks.org/Vessel/D ... gion=Index
With Jims knowledge of local history and area shipwrecks he would make a great captain of this own charter boat bringing paying customers out to the local wrecks. I had a great time and the invitations remains open if he gets the urge to head south to check out the southern end of the lake :D

swimjim
Master Diver
First Name: Jim

Re: Diving with Swimjim

Mon Jul 13, 2015 12:27 pm

Thanks Ed! It was good having you aboard. It's not everyday I get a "Vintage" diver out on the lake, other then myself. I'm glad the timing and lake conditions worked out. :wink:

Bryan
Plank Owner
First Name: Bryan

Mon Jul 13, 2015 1:05 pm

BRRRRRRR. Too cold for me. If you guys took any pictures/video please share them.
Doing it right should include some common sense, not just blindly following specs and instructions. .Gary D, AWAP on SB

swimjim
Master Diver
First Name: Jim

Mon Jul 13, 2015 11:12 pm

Sorry Bryan, left the camera gear home this time. Mean't to take it, just had a senior moment.....

1969ivan1
Plank Owner
First Name: rob

Tue Jul 14, 2015 6:44 pm

I love diving with Jim, even with the cold water.

Return to “Vintage Dive Trips or Gatherings”