caldiver
First Name: Frank

Channel Islands Trip 2013

Sat Apr 05, 2014 6:17 pm

Had an interesting shark encounter in the California Channel Islands last Summer. I was on a 3 day charter on the Peace Dive Boat out of Ventura. On the second day the boat anchored in a cove on the east end of Catalina Island. In the pre-dive briefing the skipper told us that "soup fin" sharks are sometimes spotted in this area. My buddy Ken and I opted to dive with our DW Mistrals. We were swimming side by side in 40 feet of water just outside of the kelp when a big shark materialized out of the gloom ahead of us. The 6' shark headed straight for us and, at the last moment, rolled on its side and swam under us close enough to touch, we got a very good look at sharkey eyes and teeth. My camera was set on video and I tracked him during the whole encounter but in my excitement neglected to push to record button! After big guy several smaller sharks came along to check us out. Of the dozen divers in the water on that dive we were the only ones using vintage gear and also the only ones to see sharks, my theory is that the sharks were curious what was making that odd racket.

uwstlth
Master Diver
First Name: kevin

Re: Channel Islands Trip 2013

Sun Apr 06, 2014 12:35 am

Tope sharks (AKA Soupfin Sharks) are on the lee-side of the island year around now. I've seen them mostly from Toyon Bay up towards Blue Caverns, regularly. I think you are right, they are shy and get scared easily. Usually a boat load of divers will scare them off, just out of sight but they are there. Did you dive around Italian Gardens and see the Giant Black Seabass? That is a must dive if you are in the area. From time to time oceanic Sunfish make an appearance; when I've seen them it's during an El Nino year as we are coming upon now.

Some of my most memorable dives have been in that area on a rebreather. Shallow, long dives without bubbles. It's amazing what life comes out of nowhere when there aren't bubbles all over the place and you settle in to your surroundings.

Return to “Vintage Dive Trips or Gatherings”