fishnbeer
Skin Diver
First Name: Jerry

Key Largo video

Wed Apr 02, 2014 12:29 pm

Just before last Christmas I made a dive trip to Key Largo, FL. I dove with Rainbow Reef Divers since they were next to my hotel. They were ok as a dive charter but like so many you had to dive & follow a dive guide- uhg! Anyway they had no problem with me using my Phoenix DH reg as long as I had a BC, spg, & octo. I used my VDH backplate and Zeagle bc and all was good. It was amazing how many people were curious about my DH set up and I naturally became an ambassador to vintage gear diving. I referred many of the curious to VDH.
Any how I made a video of my dives there on Molasses Reef with my gopro and here is the video I made of my dives.

Hope you enjoy-
Jerry

[video]http://youtu.be/gHJbmZFfkJI[/video]

uwstlth
Master Diver
First Name: kevin

Re: Key Largo video

Wed Apr 02, 2014 2:36 pm

Nice video Jerry. If you are ever down in TCI ( Turks and Caicos) and staying on Provo, Caicos Adventures is a great group to go out with. They are real relaxed, let you dive your gear, and either buddy up and do your own thing or follow the group. I too get asked about my gear as most VDH divers do. It's nice to know that you can take it to warm waters a have fun.

Although, here in CA, the diving is just as good (I'd say better), just a different kind of "coral" and temp. BTW Clemente has been epic as well as Cortez Bank this winter...

-Kevin

fishnbeer
Skin Diver
First Name: Jerry

Thu Apr 03, 2014 10:39 am

uwstlth wrote: Although, here in CA, the diving is just as good (I'd say better), just a different kind of "coral" and temp. BTW Clemente has been epic as well as Cortez Bank this winter...

-Kevin
Hello Kevin-
I am possibly planning a trip down your way later this year. Maybe we can get together and make a vintage dive together as I love diving the islands off SoCal.
-Jerry

stephenws
Skin Diver
First Name: Stephen

Thu Apr 03, 2014 7:26 pm

Beautiful video!!

uwstlth
Master Diver
First Name: kevin

Thu Apr 03, 2014 7:46 pm

fishnbeer wrote:
uwstlth wrote: Although, here in CA, the diving is just as good (I'd say better), just a different kind of "coral" and temp. BTW Clemente has been epic as well as Cortez Bank this winter...

-Kevin
Hello Kevin-
I am possibly planning a trip down your way later this year. Maybe we can get together and make a vintage dive together as I love diving the islands off SoCal.
-Jerry
Sounds great Jerry. BTW, the Sevengill sharks are showing up regularly now just outside the cove. A short surface swim out to buoy A, drop down to roughly 60FSW and bingo! Let me know when you plan to be down in SD and we'll make plans. We are on-tap for an El Nino summer so water should be warmer than usual this summer.

-Kevin

Superlite
Master Diver
First Name: Andrew

Sat Apr 05, 2014 8:49 pm

Loved the video, reminded me of diving the keys from 1970 thru 1974. I guess it's time for a return to Key West and the upper keys.

SurfLung
Master Diver
First Name: Eben

Mon Apr 07, 2014 2:15 pm

- Thanks for the great video. It brought back memories! About three years ago I found VDH in the middle of winter... Got a Phoenix and a refresher dive course in a pool. I booked some diving with Blue Water Divers on Key Largo and they took Jill and I to Molasses reef. That's the most beautiful Coral, fish, and everything that I've seen including Jamaica, Cayman Islands, and Hawaii. I'd like to go back again.
SurfLung
The Freedom and Simplicity of Vintage Equipment and
Vintage Diving Technique are Why I Got Back Into Diving.

Boiler81
Vintage Diver
First Name: scott

Mon Apr 07, 2014 5:12 pm

Wow, it's been a few years since I was in the Keys but I have never been with an operation down there which required follow the leader.

Return to “Vintage Dive Trips or Gatherings”