monterey1970
Diver
First Name: Andy

Any VDH divers in the Monterey, CA area?

Fri Mar 28, 2014 12:01 am

Monterey, CA is a mecca for dive schools, students and advanced divers. But I've never heard of any VDH divers in the area. If anyone in the north-central CA region, or the San Francisco-San Jose Bay Area is interested in diving with VDH equipment, please let me know. I don't own my own VDH regulator, yet, but I've been researching them. and I plan to buy one soon.

Thanks

-Andy

swimjim
Master Diver
First Name: Jim

Re: Any VDH divers in the Monterey, CA area?

Fri Mar 28, 2014 12:24 am

I dove there in 1981. I'd like to come back someday. My sister was stationed in Point Sur. I dove there, Point Lobos and Monterey Bay. Really nice place to visit and the Sea life was awesome.

Jim

Fri Mar 28, 2014 6:22 am

Lovely and delightful Pismo Beach
The town that endured countless Bob Hope jokes and was Bugs Bunny's constant destination.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
You just missed our annual divers education seminar, on March 15th.
There was a display f antique dive equipment, regulators, cameras and spear guns

FYI and next years scheduling
5th Annual Diver Education Conference
March 15, 2014
8:00 Am - 5:00 Pm
Pacific Gas & Electric - Energy Education Center
6588 Ontario Road, Avila Beach, CA

Topics and order of presentation subject to change

Dr. Sam Miller III Dive Historian - Opening Presentation
The Divers Down Flag

Karl Huggins USC Wrigley Marine Institute - Director of the Hyperbaric Facility
Dangers of Panic - Dive Computers

Patrick Smith Commercial & Scientific Diver, MA in Public History & Historic Preservation
Co-Author "Shipwrecks of Southern California"
Discovery of the Grunman Torpedo Bomber in the Channel Islands National Park

Dr. Sam Miller IV Hyperbaric & Undersea Medicine - Emergency Medicine
Marion Medical Center Emergency Physician
Aquatic Environment Infections & Treatments

Paul Buechner Lead Instructor, Wilderness Medicine Institute -
Diver Medic, National Board of Diving and Hyperbaric Medical Technology
Survival at Sea

John McKenney Professional UWCinematographer - Deputy & Public Safety Diver
San Luis Obispo County Sheriff Underwater Search & Recovery Team
Perils of the Deep

Thomas Nugent Captain US Navy (Retired) Supervisor of Naval Reserve Diving
West Coast & Hawaiian Islands
Examples of Navy Search & Recovery Dive Operations'

Static Displays:
Classic underwater camera systems from the collection of Devon Tompkins

Classic spear guns from the collectionof Sam Miller III

Fee:
There is a non-refundable $10.00 fee for the Diver Education Conference that covers the cost of the
morning snacks and buffet lunch. Pre-registration is required due to the limited seating. Contact Depth
Perceptions Diving Services to register. Payment can be made by cash or check only. No credit or debit
cards accepted. Last day to register is March 10, 2014.
Conference Sponsors:
San Luis Obispo County Sheriff - Underwater Search & Recovery Dive Team
Conference Syllabus Reproduction - Morning Coffee, Ice & Cookies
Pacific Gas & Electric Company - Energy Education Center
Energy Education Center Facilities
Depth Perceptions Diving Services
Conference Organization - Syllabus Binding - Conference Promotion

Pre- Registration Is Required
Contact - Depth Perceptions Diving Services
805-595-3631 [email protected]
12322 Los Osos Valley Road
San Luis Obispo, CA. 93405
Payment - $10.00 Per Person. Payable to Depth Perceptions by Cash or Check.
No Credit or Debit Cards Accepted.
Includes - Conference Syllabus, Beverages, Snacks & Buffet Lunch
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

A few facts about the conference speakers....

4 are listed in "Who's Who of SCUBA Diving"
4 are SSI Pro 5000 divers
2 received California SCUBA service award
5 are involved full time in the diving profession
1 is a Scrips trained hyperbaric doctor
1 traveled the world as a UW photographer
2 are ex LB Neptunes-Spear fishing
1 set a spearfishing record
1 was acclaimed as a "Father of free diving and spearfishing" in 2000
1 served several tours in VN as a SEAL
3 are ex-military officers
7 have published articles, papers and produced diving movies
All are accomplished underwater photographers
All are certified SCUBA instructors-LA Co, NAUI, PADI etc
All have between 40 and 65 years of dive experience

"Under the sea: A look at the fifth annual Diver Education Conference"

BY KRISTINA SEWELL
ANOTHER WORLD
The convention featured three displays of past and present underwater diving equipment, including an underwater camera weighing 35 pounds.

PHOTO BY KRISTINA SEWELL

It was Saturday; the sun beat down hotly on my shoulders as I opened the doors to the PG&E Educational Center in Avila Beach. As I stepped into the cool air, I wasn’t sure what to expect at a diving conference—scuba diving, that is. Recovered treasure? Skeletons of fearsome creatures?
There were display tables in the foyer highlighting generations of underwater cameras. Huge and cumbersome looking, these cameras, I learned, can weigh as much as 35 pounds. Another table displayed different types of commercial underwater masks. The last table featured an impressive collection of spear guns, including one gun that was 7 feet in length.
I was directed to the forum behind a set of double doors. As I walked in, Sam Miller, a hyperbaric and undersea medicine doctor at Marian Regional Medical Center, was delivering a lecture on underwater bacterium.
The forum was filled with people of all ages; some attendees came from as far as Los Angeles or San Francisco for the event. The crowd was interspersed with men wearing yellow shirts, signifying their position as members of the San Luis Underwater Search and Recovery Dive Team. Trying not to look out of place, I took a seat in the back of the room to see what I could learn.
Miller’s lecture focused on the threat of microbial species to divers. His thorough presentation gave some ... gruesome … insight into different infections—some whose names I can’t even remember how to spell. A number of the pictures were very graphic; in the end, I was glad his presentation came before lunch, but I had to admit that I learned a lot.
Hosted and sponsored by Depth Perceptions Diving Services, San Luis DivCon got its start in 2010 when the SLO County Sheriff’s Department Underwater Search and Recovery Dive Team, another sponsor for the convention, opened its spring training lecture to other public safety divers and the general sport-diving community.
“It was so well received and enjoyed, the team invited other groups, such as scientific divers and other dive teams, to participate,” said Chuck Rawlinson, owner of Depth Perceptions and coordinator for the event.
He added that this conference is unique because it’s the only one in SLO County, and it combines both the scientific and recreational aspects of diving. The event covers an interesting mixture of dive history, medicine, research, and entertainment.
The coordinator said when the event was first opened to the public, 50 people attended. This year, the event grew to 80 attendees, including the Santa Barbara County Sheriff’s Department Dive Team and the Cal Poly Scientific Divers.
PG&E sponsored the March 15 conference as an all-day event. The speakers, Rawlinson said, volunteer to speak at the event. In between speakers, there was a small, one-hour luncheon at which divers young and old swapped undersea tales and tricks, and discussed the lectures and recent diving excursions.
As I munched on my salad, I thought about all the different people present at the conference.
Scuba diving is a versatile activity with commercial, sport, scientific, and recreational purposes. Likewise, people scuba dive for a variety of reasons. Perhaps the most driving impetus is a deep fascination with the teeming life below the surface, especially the underwater world that exists just off the Central Coast.

UNDERWATER EXPERTS
This year’s speakers posed together during lunch; they all have more than 20 years of experience teaching and participating in diving.

PHOTO BY KRISTINA SEWELL

“This is very exposed coastline that is affected by storms in the Bering Sea, Hawaii, and the South Pacific,” Rawlinson said. “Spear fishing is fantastic, as well as [the] dense marine life for underwater photography.”
Rawlinson added that one’s knowledge of weather, tides, and ocean conditions determines whether he or she will enjoy this coast to the fullest.
The conference returned from the lunch hour to a lecture on the evolution of dive computers, presented by Karl Huggins.
“Understanding your equipment is crucial for having a safe dive,” Huggins told the audience.
He said dive computers check decompression and nitrogen levels, and monitor dive time, as well as exposure. He shared that many of these dive computers were originally developed for underwater warfare. Rawlinson indicated that each of the speakers at the event is an expert in some facet of scuba diving. There were several doctors, a naval search and rescue speaker, commercial divers, and historians who all offered their expertise on one aspect of scuba diving
While a lot of what the speakers were talking about flew over my head, the academic nature of the topics and all the learning potential were interesting to me. These divers were staying updated on the current developments with their field and passion. What they were learning is crucial for preventing injury and death while scuba diving.
Despite the intellect of this convention, I still managed to learn a few important things. Whether you consider diving a sport, hobby, or profession, it’s something that demands being consistently aware of one’s surroundings, staying calm, and knowing how these come into play when diving.
Even thought the concept of the “dumb jock” persists today, these divers are taking point as the brainier athletes, combining two opposing talents—science and physical prowess—in the safest and most efficient way possible so they can access a world so beautiful and far removed.

Staff Writer Kristina Sewell wants to see a Cheese-Con happen! Contact her with suggestions at [email protected]

fishnbeer
Skin Diver
First Name: Jerry

Wed Apr 02, 2014 11:57 am

monterey1970 wrote:Monterey, CA is a mecca for dive schools, students and advanced divers. But I've never heard of any VDH divers in the area. If anyone in the north-central CA region, or the San Francisco-San Jose Bay Area is interested in diving with VDH equipment, please let me know. I don't own my own VDH regulator, yet, but I've been researching them. and I plan to buy one soon.

Thanks

-Andy
Hello Andy, welcome to the vintage dive gear world. Just wanted to let you know that there is a group of us (3-4) vintage divers in the Northern California area (Sacramento-Santa Rosa)that get together and dive numerous times through out the year. Although we don't post on the boards much, I do come here often and read the boards due to the expert knowledge here. I will PM you with my personal email so we can plan a dive together in the future.

Jerry

Return to “Vintage Dive Trips or Gatherings”