DaleC
Master Diver
First Name: Dale

Doublehose Salmon run Video

Wed Oct 09, 2013 9:37 am

For the last 6 months or so I've been focused on my local fish study and neglecting my vintage work but recently I dove the Adams River in the Shuswap area to observe the spawning sockeye salmon. I'm working on a more descriptive video (which I'll also post) but I put together this music mix in the mean time. It's HD and 5:35 long:

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gw6dEME6 ... cadpYJYkhQ[/video]
NAVED #203
#20 International Brotherhood for the Assistance of Stateless Persons

8dust
Master Diver

Re: Doublehose Salmon run Video

Wed Oct 09, 2013 10:25 am

Great video, Dale. Really enjoyed it and several of the others that you had posted there on the Youtube. I've not ever done any diving up your way, but it looks like a lot of fun, albeit somewhat on the cool side... Maybe the "good used drysuit" fairy will make a stop at our place this Christmas, and I can pay you a visit someday! :wink:

Nice music choices too. Never dove to any Bruce Cockburn, but I may just have to try that as well. He comes to Nashville once n' awhile, and maybe I could talk him into a dive... let him use a DH of mine if he brings his guitar along... :mrgreen:
Freddo
NAVED member #201

swimjim
Master Diver
First Name: Jim

Wed Oct 09, 2013 1:08 pm

Very nicely done! Thank you for posting that!

Jim

SurfLung
Master Diver
First Name: Eben

Thu Oct 10, 2013 6:26 pm

- What a neat video Dale. All of those big red salmon will just die after they spawn... Is that right? It's kind of sad to watch them knowing that. One of those old fish looked like he'd lost an eye in all the banging around.
- The part where you are in camera view under that tree... Did you just set the camera down for that? I've tried doing that in the lake but I always end up stirring up silt... And then I worry that I won't find the camera!
SurfLung
The Freedom and Simplicity of Vintage Equipment and
Vintage Diving Technique are Why I Got Back Into Diving.

DaleC
Master Diver

Fri Oct 11, 2013 12:31 am

Thanks all.
Freddo, that's my new DS which I finally broke down and bought because my last one was leaking through the material. Very nice merino wool lined crushed neoprene :)
Eban, I have my GoPro on a stick, you can see it part way through when I put it in the river to view the salmon from the surface. I just poke the stick in the gravel and it stayed there. There was little silt as the current sweeps it all away.

Here's the more informational version of the salmon run video with a touch more about vintage diving:

http://youtu.be/rgIt0YxJKrg

NAVED #203

antique diver
Master Diver
First Name: Bill

Fri Oct 11, 2013 1:59 pm

Makes me want to break out my trusty old speargun and fire up the smokehouse.
The older I get the better I was.

Bryan
Plank Owner
First Name: Bryan

Fri Oct 11, 2013 2:51 pm

Thanks for sharing the video and information. The wonder of nature knows no bounds.
Doing it right should include some common sense, not just blindly following specs and instructions. .Gary D, AWAP on SB

DaleC
Master Diver

Fri Oct 11, 2013 8:47 pm

I think the S would hit the F if you showed up there with a speargun - but I really should do something with mine :)

This years run (2013) is really nothing compared to what is expected next year. This is a pre-dominant year with 10,000's expected to return. Next year is a dominant run with 1,000,000's expected. First two weeks in October and a very vintage friendly dive... just sayin - don't we need a Sand Dog Norte?
NAVED #203

swimjim
Master Diver
First Name: Jim

Fri Oct 11, 2013 10:34 pm

Really great video Dale. I enjoyed it. I wouldn't mind going up your way myself if I could work it out cashola wise. I'm pretty well rigged for cold water, so for me it wouldn't be a problem. For others in the vintage community, they start shying away when the temp drops below 70. LOL. Just out of curiosity, what kind of water temps are you dealing with up there? I'm sure it's nothing that couldn't be dealt with, with a few Canadian beers. :wink:

Bryan
Plank Owner
First Name: Bryan

Fri Oct 11, 2013 11:01 pm

swimjim wrote: For others in the vintage community, they start shying away when the temp drops below 70
I'm guilty...all my cold water gear found new homes when I moved to Fla.
Doing it right should include some common sense, not just blindly following specs and instructions. .Gary D, AWAP on SB

DaleC
Master Diver

Sat Oct 12, 2013 12:46 am

I have never dived in temps above mid 50's except in a pool :shock:

That lake was probably 50 with the river outflow in the mid to low 40's. In the winter the ocean is about 42 with lakes getting into the 30's. I actually live in the most temperate region of Canada (west coast lower mainland) that is greatly influence by a moderating mild marine current coming up from Calf.
NAVED #203

Return to “Vintage Dive Trips or Gatherings”