Bryan
Plank Owner
First Name: Bryan

Portage Quarry 2013

Mon Aug 12, 2013 12:51 pm

Great fun! Light turnout but the visibility was the best it has been in 3 years according to most. Jeff said 46 divers were in the water on Saturday......
Below is a photo of part of the search party looking for Rogers phone. Later we found out it had been stolen by Greg "The Lung" Barlow and taken to another quarry.

Doing it right should include some common sense, not just blindly following specs and instructions. .Gary D, AWAP on SB

Ron
Site Admin
First Name: Ron

Re: Portage Quarry 2013

Mon Aug 12, 2013 9:20 pm

That was a great time. There was better dive gear at the swap meet than I had seen in years as well. Rob had some great gear, including a bunch of good tanks. Roger had a freaking NAVCON for sale which I picked up, and plenty of diving fun was had by all. I managed to squeeze an hour out of a steel 72 with a 2300 PSI fill. Greg continued to embarrass me with his insane ability to get an hour and a half out of a fill. I'm pretty sure that we put a Chinese buffet out of their profit margins for the month of August as well.

If you guys get a chance to get to Portage, it is definitely worth it. We drove 14 hours to get there, and the wife and I had a great time.
The impossible missions are the only ones which succeed. -JYC

SeaHuntJerry
Master Diver

Tue Aug 13, 2013 12:15 am

Hi Ron,
Nice seeing you and Anne there.
Jerry :twisted: :D

USdiver
Master Diver

Tue Aug 13, 2013 9:11 am

I can't believe how fast the Portage weekend went. As always, the vintage divers present made it one to remember. Saturday 's group dive with a dozen of us in various 1950s and 1960s systems made for an awesome scene that could have been right out of Sea Hunt or Thunderball. Most of my dives averaged more than an hour long, and with the temperature above the thermocline in the mid 70s they were very comfortable (Gilboa on Friday was only 46 degrees at the tubes - 60'). For those who couldn't make the trip, visibility was better than the last couple of years, say from 15 ' - 30' depending on where you were (the Hansa jet had around 20').

A really enjoyable time, our little corner of the diving world rocks.
Too DAAM Many double hoses, It's not a hobby, it's an addiction.

jbrians
Lung Diver

Wed Aug 21, 2013 12:33 pm

It looked like a fun group.
Too bad I couldn't stay longer, however, I'm back there this friday to try getting some diving in this time!

Return to “Vintage Dive Trips or Gatherings”