Nemrod
VDH Moderator
First Name: James

Re: Sand Dog X Make Plans Now To Attend

Fri Feb 08, 2013 1:00 am

I have to attend the EAA Sun n' Fun fly-in for the company the week following SDX so it does appear that at this time I will be able to fly down on the company. Maybe sneak a 72 in the luggage somewhere even. Hmm, I wonder if I can throw that into the display freight.

Well, anyways, looking good at this point. Manatees beware, there could be a reckoning :shock:

Nem

8dust
Master Diver

Fri Feb 08, 2013 11:35 am

Informed the Mrs. of the plans last evening and wasn't met with near the resistance I expected... (always a chance it may be a cunning trick... :twisted: :roll: ) so I am operating full speed ahead till further notice!

Really looking forward to seeing everyone!!! :D
Freddo
NAVED member #201

Herman
VDH Moderator

Fri Feb 08, 2013 4:14 pm

Henry and myself were discussing SD this afternoon. Are there any general plans, like a specific place folks are staying or activites? I am trying to plan how many days I need off from work and decide on accomidations- hotel/camp/sleep in truck.
Herman

Bryan
Plank Owner
First Name: Bryan

Fri Feb 08, 2013 5:56 pm

Herman wrote:Henry and myself were discussing SD this afternoon. Are there any general plans, like a specific place folks are staying or activites? I am trying to plan how many days I need off from work and decide on accomidations- hotel/camp/sleep in truck.
10 years ago :shock: We stayed at the Orange City Motel....Right down the street from the spring. It was....OK....at that time. It's a roll of the dice as to which direction it has gone now :?: We also picked out a couple of places for Friday and Saturday nights evening meals but need to see those in person as well. Eva and I are still trying to get a clear weekend where we can run over and take a look in person. Hopefully by the 1st of March we can get this accomplished.

I plan on getting in around noon on that Friday and heading home Sunday afternoon.
Doing it right should include some common sense, not just blindly following specs and instructions. .Gary D, AWAP on SB

Herman
VDH Moderator

Mon Feb 25, 2013 7:35 pm

Just got back from Bonaire...now it's time to get started on Sand Dog....who is comming and where is everyone staying???
Herman

Bryan
Plank Owner

Mon Feb 25, 2013 8:26 pm

Eva and I are driving over on Sunday to check out the Orange City Motel and a few other spots. Will report in on Monday / Tuesday with our opinion of the options. I'm also going to talk to two restaurants that are close by for Friday and Saturday night.
Doing it right should include some common sense, not just blindly following specs and instructions. .Gary D, AWAP on SB

Bryan
Plank Owner

Thu Feb 28, 2013 4:53 pm

At Saturday nights gathering a Sand Dog / VDH trivia quiz will be handed out. Questions will be yes/no, true/false,short answer and a few extra credit points available at the end.....Double Hoser with the most correct answers gets a $50.00 VDH store credit....Runner up gets one for $25.00.

8dust
Master Diver

Thu Feb 28, 2013 6:23 pm

That's a great idea, Bryan. Should make for some good entertainment!
Freddo
NAVED member #201

frogman63
Lung Diver
First Name: Brian

Thu Feb 28, 2013 8:34 pm

In addition to hotel recommendations, is it possible to get some recommendations for renting tanks and weights? I see that there are a couple of dive shops in the area, but would appreciate any input.

Thanks,
Brian

Bryan
Plank Owner

Thu Feb 28, 2013 9:09 pm

frogman63 wrote:In addition to hotel recommendations, is it possible to get some recommendations for renting tanks and weights? I see that there are a couple of dive shops in the area, but would appreciate any input.

Thanks,
Brian
I can't vouch for any shops doing fills on 72's, doubles or triples but I will check with them while I am there and send out E-mail as well. Let me see what I can find out.....If you are FLYING IN FOR THE EVENT please send me an E-mail. [email protected]

Bryan
Plank Owner

Sun Mar 03, 2013 10:17 pm

Eva and i are in orange city tonight....cant type on the tablet so i will give all the updates and links when we get back tomorrow.....hotel..restaurants and dive shop all figured out :D

Bryan
Plank Owner

Mon Mar 04, 2013 11:25 pm

Sand Dog X itinerary in PDF form

Click here for a copy

Closest dive shop to out location in Orange City is Seminole Scuba

This should be no problem at all as long as they are in test! From what I
know they do not need any special connections but if they do you may want to
bring them with you.

Paul Shepherd
Owner/Manager
3869 Lake Emma Road
Lake Mary, Florida
Tel: 407 333 8856
http://www.seminolescuba.com
Be our friend and join our group on Facebook...
http://www.facebook.com/#!/profile.php? ... 05&sk=wall

We will have a
group of divers over your way in April. This group is unique because we dive
gear from the 50's-70's. some migh need air fills on steel 72's some doubles
and triples. All will be in current hydro and VIP. Is this something you
could do for us? Thank you Bryan http://www.vintagedoublehose.com

BigMike
Master Diver
First Name: Mike

Tue Mar 05, 2013 8:13 am

Bryan, Thanks for the update. I'm looking forward to meeting everyone. You can put me on the "need a buddy" list for when we have to sign in at Blue Springs. I'm probably not the only person coming solo. Mike
You are never too old to start a new hobby.

Herman
VDH Moderator

Tue Mar 05, 2013 10:53 am

I suspect as long as 2 or more show up at the gate at the same time, the buddy thing will not be an issue....

If everyone attending would shoot me a PM with their email address, cell number, place you are staying and arrival/departure days I will put a spread sheet together that I will share via email. Certianly not mandatory but its nice to know you have some help a phone call away and makes finding others a lot easier.
Herman

Herman
VDH Moderator

Fri Mar 08, 2013 7:47 am

To all that have sent me a PM, got the list started. Looks like the Days Inn is going to be the happening place.
Herman

Return to “Vintage Dive Trips or Gatherings”