Bryan
Plank Owner
First Name: Bryan

Sand Dog IX Photos and Stories

Mon Jun 11, 2012 12:12 am

Post away Ladies and Gentlemen!

Doing it right should include some common sense, not just blindly following specs and instructions. .Gary D, AWAP on SB

captain
Plank Owner

Re: Sand Dog IX Photos and Stories

Mon Jun 11, 2012 10:05 am

The weekend at Bernie's was Grrrrreat!, as Tony the Tiger would say.
Captain

8dust
Master Diver

Mon Jun 11, 2012 12:53 pm

Nice job on the boat photo Rog, I almost look like some sort of sea-going Greek God hipster (if I do say so). 25 more lbs and I’m going to have to get me some more spandex! :lol:

Here's some additional photos -

Getting a tour from Mike Ward at the Dive Lab in PCB.

Go Navy! Had the Royal Treatment from the U S Navy's Experimental Diving Unit Thursday morning. You guys are friggin' awesome, and Bernie is the Host-with-the-most!

What a fine fine group of folks, these Vintage Double Hosers

A slightly different perspective on some full bellies, empty wallets, and very talented, interesting, good-hearted individuals...

Some of the VDH crew at beautiful Morrison Springs, FL Sunday morning on the way home.

More of the VDH gang at the springs.

I must say that the one I like the best so far is above, previously, with Dan, Me, and Roger, chillin' in the springs with our new favorite slippery fish, Miss Jill! You really lucked out Bryan, she's a great kid.

p.s. - nice job on the group shots Bernie! We all look younger, thinner, and more respectable than we really are, except maybe Luis - whose Latin Heat may be showing through a bit in that one at the lab!
:lol: :lol: :lol:
Freddo
NAVED member #201

Creed
Master Diver

Mon Jun 11, 2012 8:25 pm

It was, indeed, a good trip. I enjoyed the discussions and meeting some people up close for the first time. Diving the jetties was a blast! I'll post some of my crappy dive footage once I've had a chance to stitch it together and get it on youtube. As cool as the diving was, the conversations were even better. Kudos to everyone involved in making this happen, especially Bernie.
"Haul the sheet in as we ride on the wind that our
forefathers harnessed before us
Hear the bells ring as the tide rigging sings.
It's a son of a gun of a chorus" - Jimmy Buffet

captain
Plank Owner

Mon Jun 11, 2012 9:41 pm

Captain

JES
Plank Owner
First Name: Joseph

Tue Jun 12, 2012 12:09 am

Here are a number of pictures from the Sand Dog IX lunch at the Dive Locker:

NAVED Master Diver #108
'Anima Sana In Corpore Sano’

frogman63
Lung Diver
First Name: Brian

Wed Jun 13, 2012 11:48 pm

Just wanted to say thank you to Bryan and to all of the VDH attendies for a great time at this Sand Dog. Also a special thanks to the Panama City hosts, Bernie, Paul Algra, Terry Davis, and Mike Ward. The information and the history they presented was priceless. I am going to try to upload a couple of pictures from the Saturday boat dive.
Brian

Nemrod
VDH Moderator
First Name: James

Wed Jun 13, 2012 11:57 pm

I was glad to have made it and always full of adventure and odd happenings. Got to kayak down the Ecofina Creek and visit some lovely springs. Got in four dives on the amazing St Andrew west jetty, what a fun dive and then a boat dive on the Black Bart wreck/reef and a couple of dives at Morrison before and after for a rinse.

I did get caught in a rip current on my first Friday dive on the jetty which carried me on a wild ride out and then right back in. I went in through the surf and I guess the breakers where piling in the water, it had to go somewhere! I think my heart was way into the red zone trying to out swim it. I think that a small bore J snorkel, vintage or not, sucks at sucking air and put me way into oxygen debt. But, the current carried me right back and my dive went well despite all. I figured conditions were good for a rip but was not expecting it to be so strong.

I did not use my main camera rig so I do not have many photos this time but it was a fun time and thanks to all for coming. Also, thanks to Bernie and crew for the excellent sand dogs, I did roll my dog in sand to make it official, yum, nice, gritty sand dogs.

James

Return to “Vintage Dive Trips or Gatherings”