8dust
Master Diver

Re: Sand Dog IX Information.

Wed May 09, 2012 7:59 am

I'm equally, if not more, interested in the hanging-out part as the adventure diving part, so for myself I am probably leaning toward the inshore trips to be able and make an afternoon port-of-call for the cookout Bernie & co. are putting on. :D

I've found the water right off the beach to be one heck of a lot clearer, by a factor of 1k, than my local options so as far as I'm concerned it's all good to me.

Just my 2c.
Fred
Freddo
NAVED member #201

Bryan
Plank Owner
First Name: Bryan

Wed May 09, 2012 8:44 am

8dust wrote: make an afternoon port-of-call for the cookout Bernie & co. are putting on. :D
Fred
I can guarantee you that the boat will go out no further than it can return on time for the Sand Dog cookout.

One thing to remember.....Sand Dog is NOT A GUIDED TOUR. You dive where you want when you want. If you don't like boat diving or are not comfortable jumping into unknown waters then go beach diving and meet us for lunch. Make an early dive at one of the springs and meet for lunch...Plenty of options for everyone.
Doing it right should include some common sense, not just blindly following specs and instructions. .Gary D, AWAP on SB

Creed
Master Diver

Wed May 09, 2012 1:29 pm

8dust wrote: I've found the water right off the beach to be one heck of a lot clearer, by a factor of 1k, than my local options so as far as I'm concerned it's all good to me.
The crappiest day of visibility on the Destin jetties(at least according to the tide schedules) was world's better than the best day of diving in Kansas. So, I am also not picky. I'll be doing a lot of shore diving.
"Haul the sheet in as we ride on the wind that our
forefathers harnessed before us
Hear the bells ring as the tide rigging sings.
It's a son of a gun of a chorus" - Jimmy Buffet

Creed
Master Diver

Fri May 11, 2012 2:18 pm

Has anyone done a night dive on the Jetties? I've read that you can just hang out in the park towards dust and just jump in the water. Is that true?

Nemrod
VDH Moderator
First Name: James

Sat May 12, 2012 2:05 am

It is my understanding, from years past, that night diving can be done but only if you are staying in the camp area. Outsiders are required to leave at dusk. I am not sure exactly how this is enforced but if it is typical Flaridah State Park Nazis it is probably best not to try too hard to find out. Of course, I assume if one had a boat (kayak etc.)you could night dive your hearts content as long as you did not set foot on the park ground and exited outside of the park. I have not stayed in the campground in a coon's age so I cannot say if tents are still allowed but tent camping in summer Florida can be miserable. That said, I will spend a few nights in the Keys in a tent, been there done that before, yeah, it is hot and there are mosquitoes.

Nem

Creed
Master Diver

Sat May 12, 2012 9:51 am

Nemrod wrote:It is my understanding, from years past, that night diving can be done but only if you are staying in the camp area. Outsiders are required to leave at dusk.
Seems to me that the easiest way to do it is just to pay the cheapest nightly camping fee, dive all you want that night and just drive back to your hotel when you are done. If anyone else is interested in "camping," let me know.

Nemrod
VDH Moderator
First Name: James

Sat May 12, 2012 10:40 pm

A night dive there does sound interesting but it might interfere with other activities.I do not think I can afford to get banned from Floridah for a third time but I did just get a new light! I am going to be pretty dived out since I will have been in the Keys and SFl for the two weeks previous, we will see what happens. Might be some younguns that give it a go, who knows. I just hope the d----n June (snot) grass is not all over the place. I hate that stuff, lol.

Nem

Creed
Master Diver

Sun May 13, 2012 12:46 am

I'll be there on the 7th. Not in time for any of the morning festivities, but I should have enough time to grab some gear and hit the jetties that afternoon. I was thinking about trying to squeeze in the night dive that night, before any of the scheduled frivolity. I'd like to see how my GoPro Hero2 behaves in those conditions.

Creed
Master Diver

Thu May 17, 2012 2:24 pm

OK, I'm booked at the Sleep Inn from the 7th through the morning of the 10th. I'll be landing in Panama City the morning of the 7th. I wouldn't mind hitting the water that afternoon/evening. Anyone else planning anything that early? I'm still up for renting a camping spot to be able to do a dusk/night dive on the 7th.

8dust
Master Diver

Thu May 17, 2012 10:18 pm

Creed wrote:OK, I'm booked at the Sleep Inn from the 7th through the morning of the 10th. I'll be landing in Panama City the morning of the 7th. I wouldn't mind hitting the water that afternoon/evening. Anyone else planning anything that early? I'm still up for renting a camping spot to be able to do a dusk/night dive on the 7th.

Which one? Looks like there's one on Front Beach Road, and one slightly cheaper just on the other side of the bridge by the community college.
Freddo
NAVED member #201

Creed
Master Diver

Thu May 17, 2012 11:24 pm

8dust wrote:Which one? Looks like there's one on Front Beach Road, and one slightly cheaper just on the other side of the bridge by the community college.
The address is 5126 W. US 98, Panama City.

ivan's mermaid
Master Diver

Fri May 18, 2012 11:55 am

Bryan wrote:
Creed wrote:What are the destinations for the Saturday boat dives? Inshore, offshore, both? Either of the shipwrecks they mention?
http://www.divelocker.net/

Dive Locker – Toll Free: 1.888.612.7968 | Local: 850.230.8006
106 Thomas Drive, Panama City Beach, FL 32408
Hi Everyone: Rob and I just made our reservations for the boat dives with Chance, at The Dive Locker! He told us that there are now 9 divers on the list. Won't be long now.

8dust
Master Diver

Fri May 18, 2012 12:35 pm

I was #5 when I called a couple of weeks ago, so I guess that's progress, albeit slow. :roll:
Freddo
NAVED member #201

Bryan
Plank Owner
First Name: Bryan

Fri May 18, 2012 1:10 pm

It might be a good idea for all these divers needing 72's to post their information here so they can be contacted directly by folks attending the function as opposed to using you as a 3rd party messenger service.
Doing it right should include some common sense, not just blindly following specs and instructions. .Gary D, AWAP on SB

Creed
Master Diver

Fri May 18, 2012 5:08 pm

I'm flying in, so I would happily rent a pair of 72s for the same price as the 80s from the dive shop, if someone has spares.

Return to “Vintage Dive Trips or Gatherings”