Creed
Master Diver

Re: Sand Dog IX Information.

Thu Apr 26, 2012 11:29 am

Wow, that's even a different story than I got from the phone jockey. Sounds like they don't have a clue what they are doing.

On top of that, a quick look at Orbitz shows them having a rate of $92/night, with no group discount.
"Haul the sheet in as we ride on the wind that our
forefathers harnessed before us
Hear the bells ring as the tide rigging sings.
It's a son of a gun of a chorus" - Jimmy Buffet

Popeye
Master Diver

Thu Apr 26, 2012 11:38 am

"In between the morning and afternoon dives Toms Hot Dogs will be catering our traditional "Sand Dog" cookout."

I have come up with a better deal then Toms boiled Hot Dogs, My friend retired Chief Diver Tom Swanick is getting a grill from the Navy Rec.department and will set up next to Tony Snow's Dive Locker and will grill Dogs and? Need a head count to buy chow at some point.

Popeye
Master Diver

Thu Apr 26, 2012 11:41 am

Creed,
The new rules just came out Tuesday while I was there.

Creed
Master Diver

Thu Apr 26, 2012 11:44 am

Popeye wrote:Creed,
The new rules just came out Tuesday while I was there.
They are still showing $92 on Orbitz, so despite the dumbass-ery of the staff, it might still be a good deal. Although, I am thinking about the Courtyard in Panama City. I suppose if I wanted to save all my money I could crash with my cousin in West Bay, but I think I'll avoid that for now...

Bryan
Plank Owner
First Name: Bryan

Fri Apr 27, 2012 7:00 am

Popeye wrote: I have come up with a better deal then Toms boiled Hot Dogs, My friend retired Chief Diver Tom Swanick is getting a grill from the Navy Rec.department and will set up next to Tony Snow's Dive Locker and will grill Dogs and? Need a head count to buy chow at some point.
Right now I have 18 people that have RSVP'd for Sand Dog on Saturday. VDH will cover the food cost for the cookout. We will put out the donation jar to insure that the "Refreshment" fund for the guys running the grill is well funded. :D :D
Doing it right should include some common sense, not just blindly following specs and instructions. .Gary D, AWAP on SB

Nemrod
VDH Moderator
First Name: James

Sat Apr 28, 2012 12:30 pm

I will stop at SD on my return from my annual Keys road trip. I am driving and I am going solo, not sure if I am taking my Jeep or Taco or renting. My plan is to arrive in the Panama City area sometime about Wednesday or Thursday. My wife booked me rooms, in lieu of other instructions, at the Sleep Inn. I know nothing about it except that I have, I think, a double bed room, Thursday through Saturday night. I will hasten a retreat homeward after whatever diving occurs on Sunday.

I do not know if Joe is going, I have roomed with him before, if he is going, he gets first split, otherwise, if he is not or has other plans, I would be more than happy to split the room. I do not need to split a room, no pressure, I am just offering.

In fact my wife made a second reservation there for a single room which I still hold and which I would continue to hold but I will require a promise to pay for the room if I continue to hold it by whoever no matter if they decide not to attend at the last moment or whatever, I will want the money nonetheless. They actually pay me to work, pretty good, but my wife is mean to me and will not give me any money at all :(. And she will find you! I will hold the second (single) room for another week or so, if nobody wants it I will release it.

Do not email me, PM me if interested. I do not have a computer anymore. That is right, I unplugged. I drop by VDH from time to time and will do so everyday up to SD to stay up.

Nem

captain
Plank Owner

Thu May 03, 2012 9:51 am

FYI- I will have 4 galvanized 72's for sale in PC, all with new hydros done last month and this month. 3 with J valves and 1 K valve. Asking $85 each.
Captain

Creed
Master Diver

Fri May 04, 2012 12:34 am

Anyone wanting to split a room?

Aileron
Master Diver
First Name: Lisa

Sun May 06, 2012 6:03 pm

I also booked at Sleep Inn....and we are staying until Tuesday. We'd like to dive the Oriskany on Monday. Not knowing the area, does the Dive Locker make trips to the O? If not, does anyone else plan on doing that dive and any recommendations on an outfit to dive with?

Lisa
The Kids: Royal Mistral, Voit Faux 50 Fathom, Jet Air, PRAM x 2, Snark III Silver, DA, Healthways, DA Non Mag
NAVED #205

Bryan
Plank Owner

Sun May 06, 2012 6:07 pm

Doing it right should include some common sense, not just blindly following specs and instructions. .Gary D, AWAP on SB

Aileron
Master Diver
First Name: Lisa

Sun May 06, 2012 6:10 pm

Thanks Bryan!
The Kids: Royal Mistral, Voit Faux 50 Fathom, Jet Air, PRAM x 2, Snark III Silver, DA, Healthways, DA Non Mag
NAVED #205

Creed
Master Diver

Tue May 08, 2012 12:02 pm

What are the destinations for the Saturday boat dives? Inshore, offshore, both? Either of the shipwrecks they mention?

Bryan
Plank Owner

Tue May 08, 2012 1:35 pm

Creed wrote:What are the destinations for the Saturday boat dives? Inshore, offshore, both? Either of the shipwrecks they mention?
http://www.divelocker.net/

Dive Locker – Toll Free: 1.888.612.7968 | Local: 850.230.8006
106 Thomas Drive, Panama City Beach, FL 32408

Creed
Master Diver

Tue May 08, 2012 3:45 pm

I saw the info on the charters. They offer several different destinations, at different prices. From the site:
The inshore charters will take you to sites with an average depth of 65 feet and will keep you busy about 4 hours. The offshore charters go to wrecks/bridge spans/hard-bottom with a maximum depth of 100 feet and will average 6 hours and the 3 tank charters pretty much fill up an 8 hour day.
I was wondering if this group had settled on a destination(inshore/offshore/wreck dive). I called up the store, and while they had about 1/2 a boat booked for us, they didn't have an actual destination selected yet. Another heads up would be the fact that there is another dive group booking boat dives on that day, so it may be wise to book soon if you haven't already.

Nemrod
VDH Moderator
First Name: James

Tue May 08, 2012 10:17 pm

The further offshore you go, generally the better the water. This however comes at a cost, depth and restricted bottom time, if there is a bottom, lol. Often the skippers sort of decide based on other reports and their knowledge as to where to go and also often by casting an eye across the group of divers on their boat. I can assure you, been told as fact by numerous skippers, if they look about and half the group is barfing over the side, they will not being going out on a long run to deep, blue, clear water, they will stop at the nearest bridge rubble they can find. It is all good though, I am game for anything, shallow or blue water, as long as a shark does not try to eat me. :mrgreen:

Nem

Return to “Vintage Dive Trips or Gatherings”