Your choice location for Sand Dog IX

Poll ended at Sat Oct 29, 2011 12:26 pm

Panama City, boat charter visit Bernie and possibly The Dive Lab
41%
Ocala area, Paradise Springs, Alexander Springs, maybe weekie?
9%
Palm Beach/Jupiter, Dive with Lisa! Visit the UDT/SEAL museum
14%
Key Largo/Islamorada, Silent World seems to like us 2 hosers.\
36%

Total votes: 22
ivan's mermaid
Master Diver

Re: Sand Dog IX Your Opinion Counts

Wed Oct 05, 2011 3:47 pm

As Bryan mentioned in one of his earlier posts, I am leaving for
Panama City Beach to visit my cousin. I'll be there at least 2 weeks.
I volunteered to do some recon and will report back the end of this month.
2 or 3 weeks in PCB is going to be tough, but someone has to do it.
Rob will be here along with Bob holding down the fort, so I doubt that I'll get to do any diving unless Bernie can help me out. I'm hoping to get to Destin, does any know if Booger Dave is still in that area?

scubasteve59
Master Diver
First Name: Steve

Wed Oct 05, 2011 10:54 pm

I vote Morrison Springs as it is a fantastic dive (been diving it since 1977 and still not tired of it), 90' depth, 100' viz, large picnic pavillion and restrooms, one of ten second magnitude Florida springs, and its FREE!!! I can help coordinate some things at Morrison if it is chosen. Panama City offshore just 30 miles south, would be a great tie in with Morrison.

Bryan
Plank Owner
First Name: Bryan

Wed Oct 05, 2011 11:40 pm

Morrison springs would be a good option for those that don't want to dive in the ocean or if the weather turns bad and we can't dive offshore. Sorry but I don't see it as a central location for the event. If we end up in north Florida Panama City is the best choice for the group as we have contacts for diving, boats, air fills etc with a shop that is already familiar with us and the type of diving we do.

Right now voting is neck and neck with the keys so we could be saying Hello Key Largo...Either location is a winner in my opinion.
Doing it right should include some common sense, not just blindly following specs and instructions. .Gary D, AWAP on SB

DrunkenParrot
Master Diver
First Name: Bryce

Tue Oct 11, 2011 7:04 pm

I have always wanted to Dive weeki wachee so my vote is there or Ocala :mrgreen:
Image N.A.V.E.D. Master Diver #207
"Why Is The Rum Always Gone?"

Aileron
Master Diver
First Name: Lisa

Tue Oct 11, 2011 10:23 pm

ivan's mermaid wrote:As Bryan mentioned in one of his earlier posts, I am leaving for
Panama City Beach to visit my cousin. I'll be there at least 2 weeks.
I volunteered to do some recon and will report back the end of this month.
2 or 3 weeks in PCB is going to be tough, but someone has to do it.
Rob will be here along with Bob holding down the fort, so I doubt that I'll get to do any diving unless Bernie can help me out. I'm hoping to get to Destin, does any know if Booger Dave is still in that area?

I see the President of the Scuba Museum is living the good life.

And Rob, you look pretty relaxed too!

Barb, it looks like Bob will be in charge while you're away. :D
The Kids: Royal Mistral, Voit Faux 50 Fathom, Jet Air, PRAM x 2, Snark III Silver, DA, Healthways, DA Non Mag
NAVED #205

1969ivan1
Plank Owner
First Name: rob

Wed Oct 12, 2011 12:11 am

Bob can't vote, but he wants us to go to PCB.

JES
Plank Owner
First Name: Joseph

Wed Oct 12, 2011 12:09 pm

1969ivan1 wrote:Bob can't vote, but he wants us to go to PCB.
That's only because there's an all you can eat buffet he loves in PCB. :wink: :lol:
NAVED Master Diver #108
'Anima Sana In Corpore Sano’

ivan's mermaid
Master Diver

Fri Oct 14, 2011 1:14 pm

There is one I've heard is good, Royal Buffett, East 23rd, Panama City.

By the way, I've made a trip to The Dive Locker, and talked with Tony Snow. Rob and I have dived with them before. Tony was very nice and pointed out the double hose regulators that he had rebuilt by Bryan, and he told me that there is a new La Quinta right down the street that would give us a good deal. I haven't called them yet, and am supposed to speak with Kathy. It is right across the street from the Naval Air Station. The boats do look nice and he said he could accommodate at least 30 people.
The only drawback I can see is that there is a Hooter's in front of La Quinta. :shock:

Bryan
Plank Owner
First Name: Bryan

Fri Oct 14, 2011 1:19 pm

Looks like we are in good hands with Barb :D :D
Doing it right should include some common sense, not just blindly following specs and instructions. .Gary D, AWAP on SB

1969ivan1
Plank Owner
First Name: rob

Fri Oct 14, 2011 6:36 pm

Sounds like things couldn't get any hooter, er, I mean hotter in PCB! :lol: Bob misses you and wants to know when you are coming home?

antique diver
Master Diver
First Name: Bill

Fri Oct 14, 2011 8:22 pm

I like PCB in June, with or without the Hooters. :shock:
We might get a chance to make this one and combine with some cave diving in Marianna area. Chances of good Gulf diving is better in June too, and I'd like to try the Jetty diving I have been hearing about. Probably not as good as BH Bridge in West Palm, but only half the distance for us. I have driven all the way to Jupiter & WPB for the past two years, and ready for a shorter drive from TX.

More people need to vote!
The older I get the better I was.

JES
Plank Owner
First Name: Joseph

Sat Oct 15, 2011 3:00 pm

Bryan wrote:Looks like we are in good hands with Barb :D :D
Thanks Barb! We appreciate your scouting work. 8)
NAVED Master Diver #108
'Anima Sana In Corpore Sano’

Aileron
Master Diver
First Name: Lisa

Sat Oct 15, 2011 10:02 pm

Thanks for the update Barb! Sounds great!!!

Hooters? Um.....I'm OK with that. They don't serve breakfast there do they? Cause I was thinking we should eat one meal at "Chippendales". I hear it's a 4 star dining experience.
The Kids: Royal Mistral, Voit Faux 50 Fathom, Jet Air, PRAM x 2, Snark III Silver, DA, Healthways, DA Non Mag
NAVED #205

Nemrod
VDH Moderator
First Name: James

Sun Oct 16, 2011 1:13 am

I don't have any strong preference. I will try to attend this year but it is a long ways off and well, anyways. As you recall, a few years ago we stopped off in Destin and did a dive on the Aquanaut, I think Joe nearly froze, I was pretty cold but at least I had sense to have a wetsuit of sufficient thickness. In April, it can be awfully cool in the Panhandle and offshore waters there. As well, depths are 60 to 100 feet except at the Destin Jetty which itself I think reaches 60 feet. Of course, out of P'co is the amazing USS Oriskany, deeper than Hades, currents and so big it is almost useless to dive, been there several times. Count on 130 plus. Last summer while on a mission for my job I got an opportunity to vist Destin and did a dive with my cousin. On the WWII tanks I speared a nice flounder and then got chased by a bull shark, yep, well, I won, bull shark zero flounder, Nemrod 1 flounder.

I suppose I would prefer someplace further south in Florida, either Keys or my favorite Florida diving, Jupiter to Lauderdale. My three week rampage through the Keys and the Gold Coast this past summer was successful, frankly, I prefer Ocean Divers to Silent World up in Largo.

Down in Marathon we had a blast with Captain Hook's Dive Center. I also rented a center console down there and went out ourselves and somehow managed not to wind up in Cuba. I dove double hose especially with Captain Hook and they were entertained, Ocean Divers never bats an eye with me, as long as I have some sort of BC. The weather in March through May is very unstable with frontal passages still pushing through, recall two years ago and across the Stream a year before in the Bahamas, remember the boat getting blown off anchor?????? Yeah, I do, my M.C. especially does.

The Key Largo area has three major wrecks, the Spiegal, the Grove and of course the Duane, they call it the Heavy Steel Tour, three wrecks in one day, double hose, it is a blast.

I am game for anything in Florida but I think I am going to vote for south Florida. The deep stuff is out for me really, doc has warned me that titanium rods and scar tissue might not decompress well, not sure he knows what he is talking about though, and currents, well, I am not what I was before the accident.

Well, just my ramblings on it all. Oh, just for Lewis, I will not use a ScubaPro Equator or whatever sort of gas bag that was I tired out last time in Florida at SD but I did not think it a big deal since most of the "vintage" divers bailed and went over to the Blue Heron Bridge mud dive instead, at least I was on the boat, even with a modern gas bag in six foot seas. Made for a heck of a story, even got my lens back three days later, amazing :lol: .

James

luis
VDH Moderator
First Name: Luis

Sun Oct 16, 2011 8:27 am

Hi Nemrod,

I am glad to hear that you are doing better and had a good time in the Keys.
Great pictures! Thanks for sharing.
Who is Lewis? :?
:)

Yes, my vote is for the keys, in June. There is some very good diving. I am not sure if we are going to be able to make next year, but it too early to tell.

My preference is also ocean diving. I feel the springs are kind of like a big swimming pool… good visibility, but not much to see.
Luis

Buceador con escafandra autónoma clásica.

Return to “Vintage Dive Trips or Gatherings”