Herman
VDH Moderator

Sand Dog on Bonaire, time to start signing up!!!

Tue Dec 28, 2010 9:25 pm

Sand Dog VIII Bonaire- April 16-23, 2011
Ok all you Sand Doggers, it’s time to start signing up for Sand Dog VIII. I have been elected (railroaded?? :) ) into setting up the trip. This time we are headed to the shore diving capital of the world, Bonaire. The diving is 24/7 and all you can stand so plan to max out your bottom time. This will be my 18th trip to Bonaire, I know the island and it’s people well . We will be staying at Buddy Diver Resort http://www.buddydive.com/index.php/resort , voted one of the best dive resorts every year. Included in the package price is a full condo, buffet breakfast, unlimited nitrox (or air) for shore diving,4 dr pickup truck per condo, airport pickups and taxes. Boat dives can be added if you like when you arrive at the dive shop, they can be purchased as a package or al-a-cart .

For those of you who have not been to Bonaire , there are over 80 marked dive sites and more unmarked site as well. Your dive profile can be anything from very shallow to over 300 ft . My personal profile ranges between 30 and 60 feet with the occasional drop to around 100. The basic routine is to pull your truck up to a site, gear up and dive, the diving off our resort is also very good. Walking distances for your truck to the water vary but 20 to 50 ft is about average. The diving is prefect for novice divers as well as old timer. There are no dive nannies or scuba police to deal with, so we can dive as we like. In addition, I have personally spoken with the dive operation’s manager at Buddy Dive and he has no issues are all with us diving vintage equipment. His 2 request are we use a SPG and stay off the reef, fair enough I think. While it is a vintage trip, non-divers and non-vintage divers are welcome .

At present I am holding 30 spaces. I have 7- 2 br (4 persons) rooms and 1 -1 br(2 persons). The final date for me to drop rooms is Feb 5, 2011. After than date, I will be dropping any rooms that have not been paid for, I don’t want to have to pay that $25,000 bill that is hovering over my credit card. I may can add some back it the need arises but for a confirmed space you must pay Buddy Dive by Feb 5.

The rates for the rooms are:
4 persons in a 2 BR condo-- $870 (non-divers $724)
2 persons in a 1 BR condo-- $1075 (non divers- $929)
-----The rooms can be configured with 2 single or 1 standard bed, sharing a room does not mean sharing a bed….unless you want to :)
Because we are listed as a group we are eligible for comped rooms. Basically, for every 9 divers we get a “free” bed (breakfast/diving/taxes ext are not included). I plan to spread the value of this out between everyone that goes so the final cost may be slightly less ($40pp ish), how much depends on the number of spots and the number of rooms we fill. There is one exception to this, the first comped spot is to be given to Anna if she is back in time. If you don’t know who she is, ask.
I will need the names of those in your party before you call/email Buddy Dive. I will forward the names on to them and send you a reservation number so we all get grouped together.

There are several way to get to Bonaire. Here is a brief run down.
Continental has flights from Newark NJ and Houston , these are red eye flight leaving NJ/Tx at just before midnight and arriving on Bonaire around 4:30 AM. These flights are rough but will give you an extra day of diving.
…..Delta flies from Atlanta to Bonaire on Sat. This flight tends to be the more expensive option but has better flight times. It leaves Atlanta at 9:45 and arrives at 2 pm.
…….Insel Air has a Sat flight out of Miami , leaving around 3pm and arriving on Bonaire at 7pm.
…… Last but not least is to take one of several airlines into either Curacao or Aruba then catch one of several inter-island commuter planes to Bonaire. This is often the least expensive route and if you don’t mind small planes it can be a nice way to go. Odds are this is the route I will take.

I will NOT be handling anyone’s money, arranging airline tickets or finding roomies. You will need to do this on your own. I will be happy to assist you in any way I can to find airfare, solve issues with Buddy Dive and I plan to keep a buddy list so I can give you names of others who are looking for roomies.

I would like for all of you who plan to go or have specific questions to PM me with your email address.
Please note that I will be out of town diving from Jan 3 to Jan 8 so it is very likely I will NOT have internet access so if you have a question, expect a little delay in my response.
Herman

luis
VDH Moderator
First Name: Luis

Re: Sand Dog on Bonaire, time to start signing up!!!

Tue Dec 28, 2010 10:45 pm

Herman
Thanks for all the info.
Luis

Buceador con escafandra autónoma clásica.

Scotttyd
Skin Diver
First Name: Scott

Wed Jan 05, 2011 1:45 pm

I have been checking flights and prices (looking forward to meeting more of ya) and it looks like there is not a Newark flight during this time. Not sure if it is a seasonal flight or not (I have taken it twice), but the red eye out of Houston (for me out of RDU anyways) seems to be a lot pricier that before.

Herman
VDH Moderator

Sun Jan 09, 2011 1:23 am

I am back from warming up the DH regs for SD. I will start searching the web for air. start letting me know those names and email addresses. Got yours Scotty.
Herman

bbain
Vintage Diver

Mon Jan 10, 2011 3:17 pm

I just booked the flights on Delta 4/16/2011 to 4/23/2011. The flight was about 85% full. IF you want to fly Delta, you'd best get moving!!

Scotttyd
Skin Diver

Tue Jan 11, 2011 10:47 am

I am going to be on the Delta flight as well - frequent flier miles are nice! :D

Herman
VDH Moderator

Tue Jan 11, 2011 11:02 am

Start shooting me those email addresses, it's getting closer to the time I will have to release the excess rooms. I still have rooms so if you have a non-vintage diving buddies that want to come, bring them, the more the merrier.
Herman

bbain
Vintage Diver

Question about water temperature, etc.

Tue Jan 11, 2011 11:28 am

Question about water temps and exposure suits for Bonaire in mid-late April. My wife tends to chill easily, and, as we all know, if Momma ain't happy, ain't no one happy! She has a Henderson Polartec (not tri-lam) skin which is supposed to be equivalent to a 2mm (and is warmer than a plain skin, although I can't say how much), a regular Henderson skin and a 3mm long sleeve shorty. I'm thinking that should be sufficient, but I have noticed that the cumulative effect of being cold tends to put a damper on her enjoyment.

What's the average water temp, etc. or would I be better off just getting her a full 3mm suit?

Scotttyd
Skin Diver

Re: Question about water temperature, etc.

Tue Jan 11, 2011 12:01 pm

bbain wrote:Question about water temps and exposure suits for Bonaire in mid-late April. My wife tends to chill easily, and, as we all know, if Momma ain't happy, ain't no one happy! She has a Henderson Polartec (not tri-lam) skin which is supposed to be equivalent to a 2mm (and is warmer than a plain skin, although I can't say how much), a regular Henderson skin and a 3mm long sleeve shorty. I'm thinking that should be sufficient, but I have noticed that the cumulative effect of being cold tends to put a damper on her enjoyment.

What's the average water temp, etc. or would I be better off just getting her a full 3mm suit?
I used to be a "tough guy", but I have gotten wimpy with my drysuit. I have gone in the summer - water temps were 82. I dove with a 3mm, by the end of the week (4 dives a day) I was a little chilled and put on a beanie. I am guessing the water is slightly cooler in April, but not too much. A full suit is nice to keep your knees from getting scrapped up if/when you take a fall on the ironshore as the entries and exits can sometimes be a bit of a challenge.

Herman
VDH Moderator

Tue Jan 11, 2011 12:52 pm

The water temp will be 80+/- 1 deg. I dive a polar tech as well and after the dive I am a bit cool. A 2 or 3 mm is likely a good idea and a hood, hooded vest or at least a bennie will help a lot. Although the water temp does not change, night dives feel colder so hood or bennie are a big plus on them.

Speaking of night diving, bring lights, the night dives off Buddy are good, lots to see. And if you are not nitrox certified, that is also a good thing to do between now and then. It's not needed for the dives but since it's included in the cost and is a plus for doing multiple day of multiple dives it sure doen't hurt anything. In case anyone is wondering, nitrox is fine in the old regs, mine has hundreds of dive using it.
Herman

bbain
Vintage Diver

Tue Jan 11, 2011 2:28 pm

Sounds like a 3mm shorty over the polartec plus a beanie/hood would be just about right for her. I'll bring the 3mm top from my 3mm farmer john too for me -- I can wear it over my polartec tri-lam. My son has offered his baseball cap from the last Sand Dog in Jupiter to keep my head warm. :-)

I'll need to check on the dive lights - we have one but it hasn't been used in a while. Thanks for the info.

Scotttyd
Skin Diver

Wed Jan 12, 2011 8:49 am

Definitely bring your dive light - well worth it. I believe Emilio Largo lost his night dive virginity on Bari reef last year.

Emilio Largo
Vintage Diver

Wed Jan 12, 2011 9:48 pm

It was either Bari Reef last summer in Bonaire or it was the Sand Dog night dive at Weeki Watchee. But the Weeki swimmin' hole was lite up with stadium lights, so it was more like diving in a swimming pool at night. I guess Bari Reef was my first real night dive. And just for the record, I am going back to Bonaire for Sand Dog Ocho!
“A diver wears a watch to tell what sport is his. The secondary function is to tell what time it is.” -Dick Anderson, Scubapro Catalog

Scotttyd
Skin Diver

Sun Jan 23, 2011 2:33 pm

bbain wrote:I just booked the flights on Delta 4/16/2011 to 4/23/2011. The flight was about 85% full. IF you want to fly Delta, you'd best get moving!!
Good thing we booked it when we did, they just upped the price and miles needed.

bbain
Vintage Diver

Sun Jan 23, 2011 3:52 pm

Scotttyd wrote:
bbain wrote:I just booked the flights on Delta 4/16/2011 to 4/23/2011. The flight was about 85% full. IF you want to fly Delta, you'd best get moving!!
Good thing we booked it when we did, they just upped the price and miles needed.
Nice . . . . Ya gotta love Delta.

Return to “Vintage Dive Trips or Gatherings”