luis
VDH Moderator
First Name: Luis

Post Sand Dog dives in the Keys

Tue Jan 26, 2010 9:28 pm

A few of us are going to Key Largo after Sand Dog for some more diving. We will be diving with Silent World.

Christine and I will be staying in Key Largo for the whole week, but there are at least four others from the group that are diving with us on Monday and Tuesday.

Let me know if you would like to join us since we are getting a group discount.

We are staying at the Pelican which is very reasonable. Nothing fancy, but it has been recommended as being clean and very convenient.
Luis

Buceador con escafandra autónoma clásica.

Nemrod
VDH Moderator
First Name: James

Re: Post Sand Dog dives in the Keys

Tue Jan 26, 2010 11:16 pm

It is my plan to be with y'all on Monday only and then depart that evening back to Lauderdale for my connection.

ivan's mermaid
Master Diver

Wed Jan 27, 2010 7:57 am

Rob and I are driving over to the Keys with Luis and Christine to dive Monday and Tuesday before we head back up North. I can't wait. In fact I ordered and just received 2 new "flowered swim caps" just for the event. :lol:
We want to thank Luis for making the arrangements with Silent World it was so easy....
Thanx Luis!

Nemrod
VDH Moderator

Wed Jan 27, 2010 10:48 am

Do we need to reserve with Silent World individually for Monday??? morning, noon, afternoon?

Nem

Herman
VDH Moderator

Wed Jan 27, 2010 8:09 pm

Luis, are you diving full vintage or the Phoenix and BC of some sort? I have dives booked with them in a few weeks and was curious what arrangements you have with them.....or do they know you will be DH diving?
Herman

luis
VDH Moderator

Wed Jan 27, 2010 9:00 pm

My plan is to dive my Phoenix with my vintage plastic backpack with an attached wing. When I use my wing I can easily forget that I have any BC at all. It just feels closer to no BC than using a horse collar.

We haven’t discussed it, but I am planning on talking to them about vintage equipment diving when we are there. Asking for something like that over the phone just allows an easy NO answer.

Everyone that wants to join us should be ready to dive a hybrid configuration, but I have some reasonable hope that they will be receptive for a more vintage configuration in most of the shallow dives (probably not on the Spiegel Grove).

From the recommendations I have received, I expect probably similar requirements as the Jupiter Dive center.
Luis

luis
VDH Moderator

Wed Jan 27, 2010 9:03 pm

Nemrod

We are planning on diving on the morning and afternoon dive. I can call them on Friday and add you to the list then. Are you planning on doing both dives with us?
Luis

Nemrod
VDH Moderator

Wed Jan 27, 2010 9:11 pm

I was thinking to try both dives, wonder when they get back in?

I think I went out with Silent World this summer past when I was in the Keys. I went with several different ones.

Nem

1969ivan1
Plank Owner
First Name: rob

Thu Jan 28, 2010 11:39 am

Hybrid = Eclectic I guess?

Herman
VDH Moderator

Thu Jan 28, 2010 4:55 pm

For what it's worth I dove with them last Feb and other than getting some good natured grief out of a DM (she knew who I was) the captains of both boats had no issues with a Phoenix and standard BC, including 2 dives on the Grove.
Herman

JES
Plank Owner
First Name: Joseph

Thu Jan 28, 2010 9:50 pm

1969ivan1 wrote:Hybrid = Eclectic I guess?
It's the new eclectic... :wink:
NAVED Master Diver #108
'Anima Sana In Corpore Sano’

Nemrod
VDH Moderator

Fri Jan 29, 2010 1:03 am

Well, I tell you, it is like this, between under pants bombers, bra bombers, shoe bombers I can only carry my a-s and a toothbrush on the airplane now, not even the toothpaste to go with it, so I will be diving whatever I can carry there from here which may not be very much.

So, if Jet Fins with spring straps and a Sea Tec BC and a Atomic frameless mask are vintage, great, if it is eclectic or hybrid, take it up with the Homeland Security.
:D
Nem

JES
Plank Owner
First Name: Joseph

Fri Jan 29, 2010 1:57 am

Nemrod wrote:Well, I tell you, it is like this, between under pants bombers, bra bombers, shoe bombers I can only carry my a-s and a toothbrush on the airplane now, not even the toothpaste to go with it, so I will be diving whatever I can carry there from here which may not be very much.

So, if Jet Fins with spring straps and a Sea Tec BC and a Atomic frameless mask are vintage, great, if it is eclectic or hybrid, take it up with the Homeland Security.
:D
Nem
Who said that you could bring your toothbrush??? :wink: :lol: :lol:
NAVED Master Diver #108
'Anima Sana In Corpore Sano’

1969ivan1
Plank Owner
First Name: rob

Fri Jan 29, 2010 9:28 am

The plastic FX is TSA approved!

Nemrod
VDH Moderator

Fri Jan 29, 2010 1:57 pm

1969ivan1 wrote:The plastic FX is TSA approved!
But it is not FDB ( "Florida Dive Boat") approved without a LP inflator and an octopus second, been there, tried that :(. It was a no go.

I am bringing ONE regulator, either my PRAM or my PNavy. Don't know. One set of fins, one mask, one suit, one computer and a soft weight belt since boats do not have lead anymore. There simply is no way to carry anything anymore.

Return to “Vintage Dive Trips or Gatherings”