SurfLung
Master Diver
First Name: Eben

Plan One Yourself!

Mon Jun 21, 2021 12:17 pm

Plan One Yourself!
- Over on the other forum, somebody was lamenting, "We need more Dive meets..." And I couldn't help responding as follows: If you want to go to a Vintage Dive event, why do you feel like somebody else has to plan it for you? Pick a location and a date and put the word out.
- Our small group of 4-6 Midwest enthusiasts has been scheduling vintage get togethers regularly and posting them here and on VDH. In fact we're going to one THIS weekend (June 25-26) at Fortune Pond, MI. Usually its Fortune Pond MI or Wazee WI but we've done other places, including Ore-Be-Gone, Square Lake, and even the Richmond Swimming pool. Sometimes we've done two trips a month in the Summer season.
- Here's the Rub... Usually its just our same 4-6 guys that show up. All the other guys who never come have one thing in common: They all say, "I had this or that to do but, I'll come to the NEXT one". They are assuming we are some official function that they can count on to keep scheduling these events. Well, we're not. And there's no guarantee that THIS trip won't be the last time we waste the effort of posting our trips in these forums.
- So, if you're wishing there were more Vintage Dive Events, either GO to the ones that other people plan for you or, PLAN YOUR OWN and GO TO THAT ONE!

P.S. Wherever two or more divers get together for Vintage, that's an event. If more show up, its icing on the cake. And if others don't come, that's okay, too. I have had a fantastic good time at every Vintage Get Together that so many others didn't come to. THEY missed it but I didn't! Ha! It's a Win/Win proposition.
SurfLung
The Freedom and Simplicity of Vintage Equipment and
Vintage Diving Technique are Why I Got Back Into Diving.

simonbeans
VDH Moderator
First Name: Allan

Re: Plan One Yourself!

Mon Jun 21, 2021 1:54 pm

Been there done that. I ran a “Sand Dog” in the 1000 Islands. Some of the best fresh water diving in the world. Ship wrecks, etc. and great viz. water temp low 70s, no thermocline. Advertised for months. I think there were 6 that showed. Every excuse in the playbook. It seems participants don’t like traveling.
Check out my website: www.vintagescubastuff.com

SeaHuntJerry
Master Diver

Mon Jun 21, 2021 2:34 pm

The Cow always makes Ohio Moo moo.
:twisted: :)

BigSwell
Master Diver
First Name: Kevin

Mon Jun 21, 2021 6:12 pm

simonbeans wrote:
Mon Jun 21, 2021 1:54 pm
Been there done that. I ran a “Sand Dog” in the 1000 Islands. Some of the best fresh water diving in the world. Ship wrecks, etc. and great viz. water temp low 70s, no thermocline. Advertised for months. I think there were 6 that showed. Every excuse in the playbook. It seems participants don’t like traveling.
Ah the birthplace of 1,000 Island Dressing! (knot to be confused with Ru$$ian Dressing nor Utah's "Fry Sauce" - the natives get pretty nasty when you tell them it's only Mayo & Ketchup) :roll:
Looks like a neat place, their convis website even have a dive page https://visit1000islands.com/experiences/diving/

SurfLung
Master Diver
First Name: Eben

Wed Jun 23, 2021 2:54 pm

Okay here I come with more harsh ball busting... :wink:

I think the point I've been missing is that many of the people seeing these forums are just in it for the entertainment. They are watchers. It's like, "let me know if there's a Vintage event happening in my neighborhood and maybe I might stop by and watch". And there's nothing wrong with that. I made the mistake of thinking he wanted to know of a Vintage event so he could go to it and dive with his vintage gear.

Any of you who just want to stop by and watch us dive, you are certainly welcome and we'll be glad to answer your questions. We actually do a lot of that with local divers and residents.

Okay So Here's What You Might See This Weekend at Fortune Pond, MI

I'm bringing 4 sets of Twin 38s, Twin 48s, and Twin 72s. A couple of other guys diving with us will be using Rebreathers. My buddy Rich will be diving a Hookah rig with his DA AquaMaster. SheriffDiver will be diving his Desco Mask (just like the opening credits of Sea Hunt). We will be diving just about every kind of double hose regulator: DA AquaMaster, Royal AquaMaster, Voit Navy, Voit 50 Fathom, Mistral, Divair, Snark III, Dacor... Even some hybrids that Vance engineered. On top of that... There will be at least 5 dive scooters... Big honking ones... Not the little pool units from Sea Doo. Oh and there will be two piece beavertail wetsuits as well as Ron's colored suits to commemorate the Thunderball movie... Plus Ron's Cousteau UDS-1 fairing tanks, helmet,and yellow striped wetsuits. You will see us diving with NO BC, with horsecollar BC, and even sometimes with modern BCD. That's all I can think of off hand but its not everything.

Yes it is interesting as heck to watch. And even more fun to dive. Maybe I'll see you there! :D
SurfLung
The Freedom and Simplicity of Vintage Equipment and
Vintage Diving Technique are Why I Got Back Into Diving.

James
Lung Diver
First Name: James

Thu Jun 24, 2021 1:40 pm

So, I live about an hour away from Morrison springs, Florida (free entry state park. Small divable area, but did I mention free?) and Vortex Springs is only about 10 minutes from Morrison (Fills, small dive shop, $25 fee to dive there... but a little more to see. Still small). Would anyone be interested in a meet and greet/show and tell dive meet there? Not much in the immediate area, but the beach (Panama City) is about an hour south of Morrison, decent size towns are a little closer. I could put a few people up at my place (just shuffling kids bedrooms, one spare bedroom, and 2 couches).

Let me know if anyone is interested.

BigSwell
Master Diver
First Name: Kevin

Thu Jun 24, 2021 2:38 pm

Looks like a really neat place. If I lived in the FL area, I'd certainly meet up with you for a dive or two. Thanks for bringing it to my attention, maybe next time I'm out that way I'll look into a dip in the pool.
http://www.shorediving.com/Earth/USA_Ea ... n_Springs/

Return to “Vintage Dive Trips or Gatherings”