SurfLung
Master Diver
First Name: Eben

Vintage Youth Divers

Mon Jul 06, 2020 12:05 pm

Vintage Youth Divers Revisited
- You may remember a few years back my grandsons were diving with some vintage 18 cf scuba tanks? One was an original USD Vigo 18 and the other was a converted Kidde CO2 tank. Well the last few seasons the lake wasn't very clear and basketball kind of eclipsed their interest in diving. But this year basketball got cancelled (corona) and they wanted to go diving again... With the addition of a couple of more grandkids. The big boys have advanced to deeper depths and I took the oldest out past the weeds and down to 16 feet deep. We have a little 4 ft tall Angel out there and it was very picturesque with the green weeds in the background and her standing in a rock garden. Viz was about 20'. The big boys burned through their air pretty quick. I gave them a cascade fill so they could do another dive. But after they burned though that air, they swam out and tried free-diving. You wouldn't believe how well they did. The oldest worked is way all the way down to touch the top of the angel 16 ft deep.
- The youngest likes to WEAR the masks but not in the water... :)
- The big boys are diving Faux regs made from mistal guts and Robs plastic cans. One is set up like a Voit 50 Fathom. The other is black with yellow hoses, green mouthpiece, and green Sea Hunt label.
- I know a few of you are wondering about the red Kraken hoses. She's actually diving a souped up DAAM with a red "Royal Mistral" label. Yes I know the red hoses are rare and impossible to replace. But so is my grand daughter! She has a matching RED scuba tank made from another Kidde 18 cf CO2 fire extinguisher. She dove all around the dock and swimming area like a little fish.
- This may have been the most well attended VINTAGE scuba dive of the entire 4th of July weekend!
SurfLung
The Freedom and Simplicity of Vintage Equipment and
Vintage Diving Technique are Why I Got Back Into Diving.

antique diver
Master Diver
First Name: Bill

Re: Vintage Youth Divers

Mon Jul 06, 2020 2:10 pm

What a great looking bunch of divers! :D
The older I get the better I was.

antique diver
Master Diver
First Name: Bill

antique diver wrote:
What a great looking bunch of divers! :D

Wasn't that Zale Parry in the second photo? Pose looks familiar.
The older I get the better I was.

ScubaLawyer
Master Diver
First Name: Mark

Mon Jul 06, 2020 2:11 pm

Looks like one happy Grandpa!
"The diver who collects specimens of underwater life has fun and becomes a keen underwater observer. .. seek slow-moving or attached organisms such as corals, starfish, or shelled creatures." (Golden Guide to Scuba Diving, 1968) :D

rhwestfall
Master Diver
First Name: Robert

Mon Jul 06, 2020 3:29 pm

OUTSTANDING!
Bob

No Longer Awaiting my Kraken.....

swimjim
Master Diver
First Name: Jim

Mon Jul 06, 2020 5:00 pm

Eben is the best Grandpa ever!!! Start them young! great job! In a couple years your going to need a bus for Fortune Pond. Lol

James
Lung Diver
First Name: James

Mon Jul 06, 2020 5:43 pm

That is super cool!

Return to “Vintage Dive Trips or Gatherings”