swimjim
Master Diver
First Name: Jim

Sometimes staying home ain't bad either

Sat Aug 03, 2019 5:27 pm

Had a big trip planned for this weekend, but had to cancel, so I dove in Lake Michigan right in front of Casa de Swimjim.
08031902.jpg
There are remnants of a pier that used to stand out front. The ice took it out before I was invented many moons ago.
08031906.jpg
08031911.jpg
Although the water was a brisk 55 degrees, it was clear and the Alwives and Round Gobies were in abundance. My new 38's dove pretty sweet... Like they weren't even there. What a great day!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

antique diver
Master Diver
First Name: Bill

Re: Sometimes staying home ain't bad either

Sat Aug 03, 2019 5:53 pm

How nice it must be to have some clear water right at home!
The older I get the better I was.

swimjim
Master Diver
First Name: Jim

Sat Aug 03, 2019 6:11 pm

antique diver wrote:
Sat Aug 03, 2019 5:53 pm
How nice it must be to have some clear water right at home!
Something that isn't lost on me. I am privileged to live in such a cool place!

ScubaLawyer
Master Diver
First Name: Mark

Sat Aug 03, 2019 6:17 pm

Looks fantastic Jim!

I'm sitting here looking out my living room window watching a pod of Orca systematically separating baby dolphin from the adults and devouring them. What does Disney call it? Oh yea, the Circle of Life. :) Mark
"The diver who collects specimens of underwater life has fun and becomes a keen underwater observer. .. seek slow-moving or attached organisms such as corals, starfish, or shelled creatures." (Golden Guide to Scuba Diving, 1968) :D

SurfLung
Master Diver
First Name: Eben

Mon Aug 12, 2019 10:24 am

The 38s look great Jim. Nice yellow accents on your fins to match the tanks. Folks who are considering 38s should note how perfectly they position a double hose regulator... The face of the regulator usually rests directly against your back. BTW the water sure looks inviting in front of your house. :)

I dove at home this weekend, too. I snuck out past the weedline and down 15 feet to check on our little Angel statue. Visibility was better than the day before but still pretty dark and dirty. After 10 minutes, I returned to my dock and dove for another 30 minutes in 3-6 feet depths. I broke open a snail and got all of the sunfish feeding out of my hand. Some even let me touch their sides and tail fins. 8)
SurfLung
The Freedom and Simplicity of Vintage Equipment and
Vintage Diving Technique are Why I Got Back Into Diving.

Return to “Vintage Dive Trips or Gatherings”