fishnbeer
Skin Diver
First Name: Jerry

2019 Monterey Rendezvous

Tue Jul 30, 2019 10:55 pm

This years event will take place Sept. 7th & 8th. This is the 3rd annual event and should be a great success as in years past. As before we will meet at San Carlos Beach aka "The breakwater" in Monterey. It is a great time as we display vintage gear to the public as well as diving the wonderful kelp beds Monterey has to offer. So West Coast vintage divers give a shout out if you would like to join us in the fun.

ScubaLawyer
Master Diver
First Name: Mark

Re: 2019 Monterey Rendezvous

Wed Jul 31, 2019 9:42 am

Hi Jerry,

As we discussed, I'm going to try and make it Saturday morning for an early dive with you guys. Just found out I'm obligated to go to a wedding about 2 hours drive south of Monterey early that afternoon. Going back north on Sunday is the wrong direction for me. I'll see what I can do. Mark
"The diver who collects specimens of underwater life has fun and becomes a keen underwater observer. .. seek slow-moving or attached organisms such as corals, starfish, or shelled creatures." (Golden Guide to Scuba Diving, 1968) :D

eskimo3883
Master Diver

Thu Aug 08, 2019 6:13 am

Just sent a question about this and then saw this post for a September gathering. I plan to join if that is ok. Not having attended before I am wondering if he format is that equipment is displayed on the beach or infront of a parking space, or if there is something more formal.
“A skin diver is a fellow who pulls on a pair of fancy swimming trunks, some rubber fins, a diving mask and canvas gloves, then fills his lungs with air and noses down into the ocean looking for two fisted trouble.”

ScubaLawyer
Master Diver

Thu Aug 08, 2019 10:15 am

eskimo3883 wrote:
Thu Aug 08, 2019 6:13 am
Just sent a question about this and then saw this post for a September gathering. I plan to join if that is ok. Not having attended before I am wondering if he format is that equipment is displayed on the beach or infront of a parking space, or if there is something more formal.
Sorry, had to stop laughing before I could reply. :) Card tables on the grass is about as formal as it gets. Everyone is welcome. You can see from the post on last years event (link below) how things were set up. There were a handful of very nice folks that showed up. Three of us actually went for a dive on Saturday before I had to leave. I had a great time. My 2 psi. Mark

http://vintagedoublehose.com/forum/view ... 8&start=15
"The diver who collects specimens of underwater life has fun and becomes a keen underwater observer. .. seek slow-moving or attached organisms such as corals, starfish, or shelled creatures." (Golden Guide to Scuba Diving, 1968) :D

fishnbeer
Skin Diver

Thu Aug 15, 2019 8:28 pm

Ok Folks! It's just over three weeks to go before this fun event, time is counting down. :)

xtian
First Name: Christian

Tue Aug 27, 2019 2:58 pm

Hi,
I'm planning to attend on Saturday the 7th and am hoping to dive my Mistral.

Thank you,
Christian

ScubaLawyer
Master Diver

Tue Aug 27, 2019 6:50 pm

xtian wrote:
Tue Aug 27, 2019 2:58 pm
Hi,
I'm planning to attend on Saturday the 7th and am hoping to dive my Mistral.

Thank you,
Christian
Looking forward to diving with you again Christian!

Mark

fishnbeer
Skin Diver

Wed Aug 28, 2019 2:30 pm

So far we have 9 confirmed attendees and 3 maybes. eskimo3883 are you planning on joining us? It will be a fun event. If anyone is planning on being there be sure to holler up.

ScubaLawyer
Master Diver

Mon Sep 09, 2019 10:03 am

A few pics from Saturday when I was there. Last year my old GoPro refused to work on the Monterey dive. This year my new GoPro refused to work. Alas, I only took a few topside shots.

Visibility was about 20 feet at Metridium Fields (around 48' depth), less as one approached the surface.

Scuba dog - Jethro

SurfLung
Master Diver
First Name: Eben

Mon Sep 09, 2019 11:51 am

Thanks for posting the photos Mark. It looks like you guys had a nice turnout and a neat place to dive. Some really nice looking Vintage equipment, too. (Those yellow round bottom 38s in the background have a lot of character... I want 'em) :)
SurfLung
The Freedom and Simplicity of Vintage Equipment and
Vintage Diving Technique are Why I Got Back Into Diving.

ScubaLawyer
Master Diver

Mon Sep 09, 2019 12:12 pm

Thanks Eben,

We had the usual comments from the local divers. Everything from the tank fill girl at the nearby shop gushing over how "truly rad and neato" the vintage gear was and how she would love to learn how to dive like Mike Nelson, to the grizzled PADI instructor who was an authority on how all DH regs, no matter what you did to them, always breathed like crap and that our deaths from using such dangerous gear would mar the scuba community for years. :)

P.S. I told the tank-fill girl that Mike usually dove bare-chested. She said that was fine.

swimjim
Master Diver
First Name: Jim

Mon Sep 09, 2019 5:05 pm

Nice photo's Mark. looks like a great turnout. Looks like I'm not the only crazy guy diving Dacor regs! :lol:

ScubaLawyer
Master Diver

Mon Sep 09, 2019 7:33 pm

swimjim wrote:
Mon Sep 09, 2019 5:05 pm
Nice photo's Mark. looks like a great turnout. Looks like I'm not the only crazy guy diving Dacor regs! :lol:
It's a Dacor and Healthways crowd. :shock: 8) They simply tolerate me. :D

Vancetp
Master Diver
First Name: Phillip

Mon Sep 09, 2019 10:12 pm

You can say that, like that, but you're a Healthways guy, too. Nomesayin'?

fishnbeer
Skin Diver

Mon Sep 09, 2019 10:49 pm

More pics

San Carlos Beach aka "Breakwater"

Christian & Mark returning from am dive

Anyone interested in triples?

Return to “Vintage Dive Trips or Gatherings”