ScubaLawyer
Master Diver
First Name: Mark

Re: Fortune Pond July 19th - 20th

Thu Jul 18, 2019 12:16 pm

Very cool - lots of toys!
I wish folks had the same enthusiasm around my neck of the woods.

Mark
"The diver who collects specimens of underwater life has fun and becomes a keen underwater observer. .. seek slow-moving or attached organisms such as corals, starfish, or shelled creatures." (Golden Guide to Scuba Diving, 1968) :D

swimjim
Master Diver
First Name: Jim

Thu Jul 18, 2019 12:56 pm

IMG_4621.JPG
Here is what I am bringing double hose wise. I may not get to dive them all, but it will be close. Not pictured is my Scubapro Mk 7 Honker that I have mixed into the works. I will also have my tech gear including my scooter. It will be a blast!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

antique diver
Master Diver
First Name: Bill

Thu Jul 18, 2019 3:17 pm

You guys aren't just enthusiastic, y'all are Fanatics! I wish I was going!
The older I get the better I was.

SurfLung
Master Diver
First Name: Eben

Mon Jul 22, 2019 9:55 am

Absolutely Fabulous...
- Weather, Visibility, Vintage Equipment, and Good Friends... This ranks up there as one of the more fabulous-er of our dive trips. It was so sunny and warm on the surface that we barely got a chance to get cold from the diving... Temps were still in the low 40s down deep but, warm ups in between were downright balmy. We had to get under Rons tent to keep from getting fried by the hot sun!
- Above is Ron Sheriffdiver preparing to dive his Sportsways Twin 72s. You don't see THOSE every day!
- Here's Rich 50,000 with his Voit project... Original blue fiberglass backpack and harness. Original white vinyl exterior 72. The Voit 50 Fathom came from Rob's ScubaMuseum... It was a prop in the Sea Hunt forever show last March.
- Note also Rich is diving his smooth skin beaver tail front zip Sea Hunt forever wetsuit. We all dove ours on this trip.
- Above is SwimJim diving his dimple bottom Twin 38 project.
- Here's Jacob diving his rare "Green" Argonaut Kraken and Twin Aqualung 72s. He's loving that Kraken and taking a shine to the Twin 72s too.
- I brought the brats and SwimJim brought the grill... MMMM GOOD!
- Above are Bill and Drew and Jacob getting ready for the next dive.
- Ron's special set of triples are like the 500 foot diving rig seen on Sea Hunt with Leonard Nimoy. Remember how (in that episode) they tricked Leanard Nimoy into thinking Mike Nelson could dive down to the evidence with the special equipment and a "pill"... Leonard of course had to reveal his guilt.
- Here's Drew diving Ron's beautiful "Thunderball" Voit Twin 72s.
- Lots of highlights to this trip. SwimJim placed a very cool Cherub on the "Grim Reaper" rock formation at about 100 feet. Ron brought a patriotic garden plaque that we all got to sign. He, Rich, and I placed it near the 130 ft. marker right out front of the pier. Ron figured a slick way to dive his Double hose with his UDS-1. Diving conditions were perfect... Clear skies with lots of sunlight extended the visibility... At one point I was looking up from about 70 feet deep and could see the surface ripple perfectly and my buddy Rich about 30 feet above me.
SurfLung
The Freedom and Simplicity of Vintage Equipment and
Vintage Diving Technique are Why I Got Back Into Diving.

swimjim
Master Diver

Mon Jul 22, 2019 2:10 pm

Nice report Eben. Can't add too much, but here goes.. I arrived Friday about 10:30 and as Eben said, the weather was an 11 on a scale of 1 - 10. I know this is almost sacrilegious, but my first dive I used a (gasp) single hose regulator. It was vintage though. A Scubapro Mk 7. Regrettably, I did not get my tanks down to 500 psi to enjoy the HONK. Ha.
After a days diving we enjoyed a nice meal at Alice's restaurant, which is a nice Italian supper club in Iron River. During the meal the lights were flickering here and there. On the way back to my hotel I discovered why. There was a big ole electrical storm rolling through. The setting sun was breaking through below the cloud deck illuminating the woods in contrast to the dark clouds, thunder and lightning above.
It took two attempts, but I did get the cherub mounted on the Grim Reapers hand where the scythe would normally be. I have a picture of it, but it's on the other computer. I may post that later. Of course Eben's Venison cheese bratwurst made a fine capper to a fine weekend. Can't wait until next time!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

swimjim
Master Diver

Mon Jul 22, 2019 2:59 pm

Here is a rather poor photo of the Grim Reaper rock formation holding it's cherub. The Grim Reaper is about 100 feet down, but is easily found by looking for a garden hose that goes vertically down the wall right to it.

SheriffDiver
Master Diver
First Name: John

Tue Jul 23, 2019 12:53 am

Well now you all will have to come to Fortune to see the new items placed. This was one of them placed at 130 feet. Thanks Eben.

SheriffDiver
Master Diver

Tue Jul 23, 2019 11:04 am

New Double Hose divers Drew, Jacob and Bill diving their HPR regulators and a Kraken. Drew loved using Surflung's scooter

ScubaLawyer
Master Diver
First Name: Mark

Tue Jul 23, 2019 11:35 am

I see some potential future SHF talent!
"The diver who collects specimens of underwater life has fun and becomes a keen underwater observer. .. seek slow-moving or attached organisms such as corals, starfish, or shelled creatures." (Golden Guide to Scuba Diving, 1968) :D

SheriffDiver
Master Diver

Wed Jul 24, 2019 11:11 am

Sorry, this is the correct scooter video...

Return to “Vintage Dive Trips or Gatherings”