ScubaLawyer
Master Diver
First Name: Mark

Re: Heritage Diving Event 2023 Aug 26

Thu Jun 08, 2023 12:47 pm

simonbeans wrote:
Thu Jun 08, 2023 11:03 am
Not to concern your self brother. There will he many tanks for your use.
A;;am
That's what I figured. However, my paranoid reptile brain thought I should check. 😎👀
"The diver who collects specimens of underwater life has fun and becomes a keen underwater observer. .. seek slow-moving or attached organisms such as corals, starfish, or shelled creatures." (Golden Guide to Scuba Diving, 1968) :D

ScubaLawyer
Master Diver

Sun Jun 11, 2023 3:29 pm

So what time on the 26th do folks show up at White Star to dive and socialize?
Is there a dinner or something that evening?

Just trying to get an idea, not having been to one of these in the past.

TIA, Mark
"The diver who collects specimens of underwater life has fun and becomes a keen underwater observer. .. seek slow-moving or attached organisms such as corals, starfish, or shelled creatures." (Golden Guide to Scuba Diving, 1968) :D

1969ivan1
Plank Owner
First Name: rob

Mon Jun 12, 2023 5:54 pm

We most all usually show up when the park opens at 8 or 9? Then we dive and talk and talk and dive until 5ish. Then usually we head back to the hotels and clean up and argue about where to go eat. Then we hang in the lobby of a hotel or VanFrank tries to lure me in his hotel room. IN general it is not a super regimented deal. You can show up at the quarry at 10 or noon if you like.

SurfLung
Master Diver
First Name: Eben

Wed Jun 21, 2023 11:30 am

I am hoping to team up with SwimJim to drive over together. We have a couple of personal question marks that need to be settled before we can say we're coming for sure but Jim's already got a room reserved so the roadblocks are clearing away nicely. :)
SurfLung
The Freedom and Simplicity of Vintage Equipment and
Vintage Diving Technique are Why I Got Back Into Diving.

ScubaLawyer
Master Diver

Wed Jun 21, 2023 10:26 pm

SurfLung wrote:
Wed Jun 21, 2023 11:30 am
I am hoping to team up with SwimJim to drive over together. We have a couple of personal question marks that need to be settled before we can say we're coming for sure but Jim's already got a room reserved so the roadblocks are clearing away nicely. :)
Eb, where are you guys staying? I'm still trying to figure out a way to be there for Saturday. Be nice to get together with a few folks I know for dinner that night. I'd be flying in from Kona arriving Friday late so a lot of air travel time.

swimjim
Master Diver
First Name: Jim

Thu Jun 22, 2023 9:25 am

We're staying at the Quality Inn in Perrysburg Ohio.

rhwestfall
Master Diver
First Name: Robert

Mon Jun 26, 2023 2:38 pm

The wife, daughter, and I will be attempting to make the trip from Buffalo, NY. Campground seems empty, and we are reserving a spot in the next day or two. Will be driving there Saturday (early departure from here), hope for a meet and greet, couple dives, stay Saturday night in the campground, and depart Sunday for home. A lot in a short timeframe...

I joined this board just as the Sand Dogs were winding down, and missed the one here because of prior commitments. I don't do the "period correct", so the Florida excursion wasn't really for me. This one seems really important...

I have a DH to put together for the daughter (though she can use any the ones I have). It was a gift from a departed friend, and I had stashed away all the VDH parts to turn it into a PRAM for her.

Will be nice to finally meet some of you in person.

Fingers crossed.

Bob Westfall
Grand Island, NY
Bob

No Longer Awaiting my Kraken.....

rhwestfall
Master Diver
First Name: Robert

Tue Jun 27, 2023 12:33 pm

so, tell me about the diving there....
Bob

No Longer Awaiting my Kraken.....

BigMike
Master Diver
First Name: Mike

Tue Jun 27, 2023 9:06 pm

If all goes well, I will drive up on Friday. Would love to get back into the water with you guys at White Star. Still recovering from car accident/rotator cuff surgery. Will bring some gear to sell cheap. Wife says I must reduce inventory. Looking forward to catching up. Too bad it's for a sad reason.
Regards. Big Mike
You are never too old to start a new hobby.

simonbeans
VDH Moderator
First Name: Allan

Wed Jun 28, 2023 7:43 am

rhwestfall wrote:
Tue Jun 27, 2023 12:33 pm
so, tell me about the diving there....
Hi Bob,
Allan here, aka simonbeans. We have met at my place south of Brockport.
Have you ever dove in a quarry? Well, my personal definition of a quarry is: “A hole in the ground, filled with water, in which they put junk”.
The quality of junk could be left over rock/stone extraction equipment to cars, trucks, planes, etc.
Water temps could range in low 80s in hot summers to upper 40s below THE thermocline.
Viz 0-50ish depending on location in the quarry, depth, time of year.
Some fish, bluegills, bass bullheads, carp or sometimes a few stocked types. White Star has nice entry areas, setups, air fill, and I think some food. Potties are on site. Overall not too bad for a quarry.
The redeeming quality is the dive group there. With this being a Memorial for our special friend, Bryan, I expect many of the VDH gang will be there. That is MY reason for going. See you there fellow “lucky” New Yorker.
Check out my website: www.vintagescubastuff.com

DavidFLOR
First Name: David

Sun Jul 09, 2023 12:57 pm

I'm making tentative plans to drive from Orlando to this event; two days of driving Wednesday and Thursday; dive Gilboa Friday; all day hang out at White Star on Saturday, and return on Sunday and Monday. I'm trying to entice a dive buddy to share the driving, but could probably fit at least one more. So if there is anyone from Central / North Florida; Atlanta / Georgia; Knoxville / TN that would like to join and share the driving let me know.
"....in wildness is the preservation of the world...." Thoreau

1969ivan1
Plank Owner

Fri Jul 14, 2023 6:59 am

It sounds like this will be very well attended. The swap meet may be the best ever. Just remember it is "supposed" to be vintage gear only :D . So dont bring your brand new mares mask to sell. I am going to be ordering the memorial shirts int he next few days so if you have not told me you want to buy one then you may not be able to as I wont make a lot of extras. Email me if you want one or two. I am also making several for free for Bryan's family. Email me if you have not already if you want one.

simonbeans
VDH Moderator
First Name: Allan

Thu Jul 27, 2023 3:16 pm

Hi guys
Looking forward to the show. Should be a good time. It will be great seeing some of the old gang and new vintage divers as well.
I will be bringing lots of gear. some suits, fins, masks, weights, regulators , backpacks and tanks . I have a newly hydroed 50 cu ft Al double set with USD solid bar manifold with stainless bands. If someone that will be there would like them and you send me your measurements needed as per my website vintagescubastuff.com I can have the set ready to dive for you at the event. I would like $450 for the set. I was thinking of breaking them up and selling the parts. If I do, I should sell them for a lot more. It would be a shame if I did as these tanks are NOT being made any more. (The tanks are 6.9” diameters and that is why bands and the manifold fit perfectly.)
Check out my website: www.vintagescubastuff.com

1969ivan1
Plank Owner

Tue Aug 01, 2023 5:26 am

450! That is a really good price especially since the tanks are fresh from hydro and getting hard to find nowadays.

1969ivan1
Plank Owner

Sun Aug 13, 2023 10:08 pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C2RSS3O8pWI

Barb put this video together with pics a lot of you guys sent in.........

Return to “Vintage Dive Trips or Gatherings”