technidiver2
Diver
First Name: Alex

VDH Plate Wing compatibility

Tue Feb 19, 2019 7:49 pm

Would like to purchase a VDH Plate within the next few weeks, but I'd like some input as to what wings it can take. Personally I'm leaning towards a DGX basic wing. I don't need any bells or whistles, just something that can get the job done. I've had BCD's for years and this would be my first wing too.

Does anybody also use the VDH Plate for doubles?

TD

tbone1004
Master Diver
First Name: Tom

Re: VDH Plate Wing compatibility

Tue Feb 19, 2019 9:59 pm

I'd call Bryan and get the VDH singles wing. Much higher quality.

Doubles on the flat plate is a bad idea. 0/10 do not recommend even trying. You can't mount it to normal doubles, so it would have to be a dedicated set, and the plate/wing would essentially be permanently mounted to that set of doubles. The channel is in a normal backplate for a reason. Without it, you can't use a nut to make a temporary connection point

rhwestfall
Master Diver
First Name: Robert

Re: VDH Plate Wing compatibility

Thu Feb 21, 2019 8:27 am

Well, I am not in agreement with Tom in this instance, so maybe 1/10 (or would it then be 1/11?)....

I use my VDH "Vintage" plate with an AL63 twinset. The solution (for me) was to use one half of a "sex bolt" or "book screw" to make the attachment, and make it removable. I also have a spacer on the thread rod behind the plate to prevent flexing. For a wing, I use the DiveRite CCR wing as it is compact, and has the elbow offset rather than centered.

For singles, the VDH (Argonaut Dive) wings are a really nice choice! I have an 18# for travel, and had he come to market prior to me getting the gear I do, would likely have others.

YMMV
Bob

No Longer Awaiting my Kraken.....

Return to “New Vintage Equipment Diver's Forum”