FrogMan23
First Name: Brett

DA Aquamaster

Wed Jun 06, 2018 9:17 pm

Hello all!

My name is Brett, and I just purchase a DA Aquamaster off ebay. I have always been interested in diving with vintage gear, and I luckily got it for a good price. I am just wanting to know how hard would it be for me to service it myself?

Thanks for the advice!

DerekRalston
Skin Diver
First Name: Derek

Re: DA Aquamaster

Wed Jun 06, 2018 9:34 pm

If you are the type that pays attention to detail, likes mechanical DIY projects, and will invest in the time necessary to study the videos that Bryan has posted, it is completely possible!

Bryan
Plank Owner
First Name: Bryan

Wed Jun 06, 2018 9:51 pm

DerekRalston wrote:
Wed Jun 06, 2018 9:34 pm
If you are the type that pays attention to detail, likes mechanical DIY projects, and will invest in the time necessary to study the videos that Bryan has posted, it is completely possible!
This ^^^^

Much easier than you think if you take your time. Herman has all the tools you need and all the original manuals are in the manuals and catalogs section of the website. On a DA I would suggest, aside from the service kit, updating to an HPR 2nd stage, main diaphragm and duckbill eliminator.

I'm working on new videos about service on the DA and Royal but the Kraken has taken up all my available time for now.

With the screen name of Frog Man, you are a member or retired member of the SPECWAR community correct ?
Doing it right should include some common sense, not just blindly following specs and instructions. .Gary D, AWAP on SB

FrogMan23

Wed Jun 06, 2018 10:19 pm

Thanks for the help! I think I might take a shot at doing it myself then!

I am currently in the Navy, but I am not SPECWAR. Its a dream of mine to get into the community, and I am trying to get accepted into the program

Bryan
Plank Owner
First Name: Bryan

Wed Jun 06, 2018 10:52 pm

FrogMan23 wrote:
Wed Jun 06, 2018 10:19 pm
Thanks for the help! I think I might take a shot at doing it myself then!

I am currently in the Navy, but I am not SPECWAR. Its a dream of mine to get into the community, and I am trying to get accepted into the program
Go for it....Double hose regulators are an addiction....Few that do one only one one....

Good Luck on your acceptance. We do some things on both coasts as well as NEDU, EOD and various other special units here in the US.
Doing it right should include some common sense, not just blindly following specs and instructions. .Gary D, AWAP on SB

Herman
VDH Moderator

Thu Jun 07, 2018 6:49 am

Welcome to the board and DH diving.
Please don't hesitate to ask any questions you may have about servicing or diving DH regs. There is a huge amount of experience on this board and we are always happy to assist.
I would suggest you do a search on the board for threads on diving a DH reg. They are a different animal than a single hose reg and require you to dive them accordingly if you want the best performance out of them. Using a DH with your jacket BC or a backplate will give you air but they will not function at their best if you do. DH regs are much more position sensitive than a single hose reg which requires you to properly position them on your body, something most modern BCs will not allow.

I would add a few things to Bryans list of parts. It's highly unlikely the hose loop on your reg is really up to diving. Most are too stiff and frankly I hate the taste of the old rubber mouth pieces. At a minimum I would add new hoses, mouthpiece, mushroom valves and hose clamps. You may want to consider upgrading the mouthpiece to the new DSV. At a bare minimum, the mushrooms have to be changed, it is pretty much a given the originals are not up to diving. I suggest the hose clamps just because many of the old ones are brittle, at the low cost of a new set, to me, it's not worth the chance of breaking one just as I get the rebuild done and have to wait on a replacement.

Again, welcome.
Herman

FrogMan23

Thu Jun 07, 2018 5:31 pm

I appreciate the help Herman!

I found the manuals you were talking about, along with the articles on DH diving. I just received my regulator in the mail today, the hoses and mouthpiece definitely have had their day so I will replace them like you said. The reg itself is in great shape from what I can see.

I will definitely ask questions as they arise!

Return to “New Vintage Equipment Diver's Forum”