hunterkz
Lung Diver
First Name: gary

My first DH reg rebuild

Wed Apr 25, 2018 7:02 pm

This is my first DH reg and I have not dove with one since I was a kid many years ago. I purchased a royal aqua master and plan on diving with it for fun. As of now it is in good overall shape but needs a full service. First off I want to start out with the cans and deal with the hoses and mouth piece later. Here is the shopping list of what I plan to get from VDH: Any ideas or suggestions? RAM 1st stage rebuild kit, hp seat, back up washer,conshelf pin, HPR 2nd stage kit, diaphragm for use with hpr, duckbill eliminator. I want a good breathing reg that is safe. I don't want to go with a phoenix yet. As for tanks I have a couple single 72's and a set of 38's. Thanks

ScubaLawyer
Master Diver
First Name: Mark

Re: My first DH reg rebuild

Wed Apr 25, 2018 7:34 pm

Personally, instead of rebuilding the 1st stage I'd drop a Cyclone 1st stage in (available in the VDH store). With the HPR and Cyclone you would have a better breather than the original RAM (in my humble opinion). Mark

P.S. see my RAM at:

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=9609
"The diver who collects specimens of underwater life has fun and becomes a keen underwater observer. .. seek slow-moving or attached organisms such as corals, starfish, or shelled creatures." (Golden Guide to Scuba Diving, 1968) :D

Herman
VDH Moderator

Wed Apr 25, 2018 7:47 pm

I personally would replace the hoses and mouthpiece, rarely are the old ones in great shape. That said, you will need to replace the mushroom valves in the mouthpiece (just the valves, the cages are fine) even if you keep the hoses and mouthpiece. I would also add a band clamp instead of the C clips. They are a pain to deal with. Not sure why you need the Conself pin as long as the one in the RAM is good. I would also add a hookah port adapter. You will need some way to measure/set IP and it makes a nice place to add a BC inflator or octo if you want one. I leave one on all my regs with just a port plug in it if I don't need any LP accessory...and it makes it easy to check IP from time to time.
Herman

hunterkz
Lung Diver

Wed Apr 25, 2018 8:23 pm

I broke down and put the new silicone hoses, wagon wheels and hookah port adapter in the cart but switched out the cyclone instead of the rebuild parts for the first stage. I hope this is all I need to get it going. The reg has a band clamp already so I got lucky there. I have a banjo fitting and the reg has the long yoke. Besides the mouth piece everything else will be new.

ScubaLawyer
Master Diver

Wed Apr 25, 2018 9:07 pm

I see you have the HP diaphragm listed - good. You will also need a Body to Can Gasket and a HP Diaphragm gasket (each about $3)

You shouldn't need new wagon wheels, just the mushroom valves for the wagon wheels you already have.

Good luck.

Mark
"The diver who collects specimens of underwater life has fun and becomes a keen underwater observer. .. seek slow-moving or attached organisms such as corals, starfish, or shelled creatures." (Golden Guide to Scuba Diving, 1968) :D

hunterkz
Lung Diver

Wed Apr 25, 2018 10:21 pm

Thanks for the info guys. Do I need to get a hp diaphragm for this or does it come with one? So many questions and I don't want to start putting it all together and be missing that one crucial part. Thanks

Bryan
Plank Owner
First Name: Bryan

Wed Apr 25, 2018 10:24 pm

ScubaLawyer wrote:
Wed Apr 25, 2018 9:07 pm
I see you have the HP diaphragm listed - good.
Good luck.
Mark
Skipping the HP side is like rebuilding an engine and re-using 40yr old head gaskets.....If you have had the chance to compare a new HP diaphragm to an original it all makes sense.
It's like putting on a Phoenix First Stage and retaining the original second stage. Similar to building a stroker engine and keeping the 2 barrel carburetor on it.
A Phoenix or Cyclone first stage have the potential to flow so much air...It's the limitations of the original design second stage and diaphragm that hold it back.
Doing it right should include some common sense, not just blindly following specs and instructions. .Gary D, AWAP on SB

hunterkz
Lung Diver

Wed Apr 25, 2018 11:11 pm

I wasn't trying to skip the hp diaphragm I just got lost in looking at so many parts and wasn't sure if it was included with the cyclone kit after changing from the rebuild kit.. I think I got everything I need in the cart. I'm sure there is something I should of added :) Thanks for all the help.

Bryan
Plank Owner
First Name: Bryan

Thu Apr 26, 2018 12:10 am

hunterkz wrote:
Wed Apr 25, 2018 11:11 pm
I wasn't trying to skip the hp diaphragm I just got lost in looking at so many parts and wasn't sure if it was included with the cyclone kit after changing from the rebuild kit.. I think I got everything I need in the cart. I'm sure there is something I should of added :) Thanks for all the help.
Cyclone First Stage is the complete first stage, pin, pin support and HP gasket/seal.
Doing it right should include some common sense, not just blindly following specs and instructions. .Gary D, AWAP on SB

rhwestfall
Master Diver
First Name: Robert

Thu Apr 26, 2018 7:31 am

The first time I did this, I went into Bryan's library, and got a schematic of the reg. Armed with that and a highlighter, it became very comprehensive to identify and order the parts I needed. One or two confirmatory emails, and things went great. One order....
Bob

No Longer Awaiting my Kraken.....

SnarkIII
Lung Diver
First Name: Skip

Wed May 09, 2018 2:31 am

I just finished my first double hose rebuild/upgrade. I'd like to thank everyone who has asked questions, and those who have answered them. I'd also like to thank Bryan and Herman for their patience answering my rookie questions. My original plan for this reg was to set the IP, change the duckbill and mouthpiece valves, as this reg worked. I found the IP wasn't stable so I went full on Cyclone, HPR, DBE. Another DAAM is ready to go back in the water where it belongs. Now on to the New England Divers/Sportsways Hydro-twin that was in the "box of junk" I recently bought.

h2operations
Master Diver
First Name: Paul

Sat Sep 01, 2018 10:37 am

Did you find this taxing? I have two that I want to rebuild myself.

Herman
VDH Moderator

Sat Sep 01, 2018 6:35 pm

Addictive would be the word I would use. :)
Herman

rhwestfall
Master Diver
First Name: Robert

Sat Sep 01, 2018 7:17 pm

for me it is therapeutic...
Bob

No Longer Awaiting my Kraken.....

ScubaLawyer
Master Diver

Sat Sep 01, 2018 11:19 pm

For me it is cathartic....

Return to “New Vintage Equipment Diver's Forum”