Avanwyk1
First Name: Adam

New double hose diver (hopefully)

Sat Oct 01, 2016 9:09 pm

Hello all,

I recently acquired two RAM's from a friend of a friend. When I first got them I knew they looked cool, but I had no idea if they were usable or if there were any parts available for them. So I set to looking and I stumbled across VDH. I browsed through the regulator identification guide, the FAQ's, the care and maintenance, and many other pages. Then I looked in the store and found that I had absolutely no idea what I would need to rebuild the regulators or how much it would cost in parts. So I emailed Bryan asking for a quote to which he told me to look in the store, all the prices were listed there. Oops :oops: sorry for being "that guy" . So I took some time and disassembled both of the RAM's. One was fairly clean and the other one was well used to say the least. After taking them apart and discovering the Aqua Lung exploded view with part numbers I began to figure out what parts were which and what I would need to order. I was low on funding at the time (college student and hours cut at work) so I cleaned them up as best I could and there they sat. In the meantime I browsed the forums and read and learned as much as I possibly could. A few days ago my paycheck came in and I decided it was time to get one of these regulators up and running because I couldn't stand just staring at them on the shelf. So I gathered my parts together and made a list of what needed to be ordered. The parts came in today, I rebuilt the regulator, got it breathable, and hopped over to the neighbor's pool. Needless to say the entire process was a blast and I am looking forward to fine tuning my regulator, building the other RAM with an HPR second stage, and who knows what else... :lol:

Anyways I appreciate all the help I indirectly received from all the experienced guys and gals who post in the forums. Special thanks go to Bryan for making all of this possible and playing a pivotal role in keeping double hose diving alive.

Here are some pictures of my RAM:
RAM.jpg
RAM 2.jpg
Internals.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Herman
VDH Moderator

Re: New double hose diver (hopefully)

Sat Oct 01, 2016 9:18 pm

Welcome to the board and to the DH community.
You have a really nice looking RAM, a prefect one to get started with. There is a lot of information on the board so I encourage you to do some searches and read what you find. That said, don't hesitate to ask questions, we have a lot of very experienced members here who are always happy to help new members.
Herman

Bryan
Plank Owner
First Name: Bryan

Sun Oct 02, 2016 9:39 am

Looks like you are off to a great start. Welcome to the community.

Sent from my SM-T810 using Tapatalk
Doing it right should include some common sense, not just blindly following specs and instructions. .Gary D, AWAP on SB

SeaHuntJerry
Master Diver

Sun Oct 02, 2016 11:41 pm

Welcome,
Mike Nelson would be proud of you! :evil: :twisted: :) :D

Avanwyk1

Mon Oct 03, 2016 12:51 am

Thanks for the welcome, and I actually get the Mike Nelson reference :lol: . I found a channel that plays Sea Hunt episodes late at night, perfect for watching after finishing up FEA simulations and before going to bed.

Ron
Site Admin
First Name: Ron

Mon Oct 03, 2016 4:10 pm

You are not by chance related to any of the Seattle area Van Wycks are you?
The impossible missions are the only ones which succeed. -JYC

Avanwyk1

Wed Oct 05, 2016 12:45 am

Not that I am aware of.

Bronze06
Master Diver
First Name: Russell

Sat Oct 08, 2016 3:34 am

As they say over here; "Marhaba" (welcome) to the wide and wonderful world of double hose diving. It looks like you've already started to catch the fever( that is a nice RAM). You will find that the DH regulator breathes moister and is far less intrusive when photographing subjects close at hand. (Macro). That and it just looks cool. Start shallow at first (10 feet or so) just like you've already done in the pool and get used to the various difference in clearing, underwater donning and doffing, weight use etc. . Take your time and build up your confidence in your regulator and your techniques.

After initial IP adjustment, wait about a week or two and re-check IP (should be right at 135 psi). This is for compression of the new 1st stage main diaphragm and "settling in" of the new components. This will make your experience even more enjoyable. If you haven't already done so, I would think about a "Hookah Port" adapter for a safe second (Octopus) as a fall back for peace of mind until you are ready to go full tilt "Vintage" if you so desire. Also, investing in a "Banjo" fitting for a submersible pressure gauge is a plus if you do not have a functional "J" type tank valve. You are lucky in that you already have a model that contains the "Long Yoke" designed for a SPG/Banjo fitting.

Don't be shy about asking questions about rebuild peculiarities and other such stuff. I have found that just going through the back posts on this Forum a great help as well. The folks on this website are EXTREMELY knowledgeable and will go out of their way to help you. Also, see Alec Pierce's videos on Youtube at:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eq0aHH3fpOg

Alec has been diving for 58+ years and in his series of Vintage Diving equipment he answers a lot of questions that new vintage divers wonder about.

Have fun and again , Welcome to the World of Real Fun Diving!

Russ
"Where'd ya get that ol' thang, don't cha' know them thare things ill kill ya!"

Live From the Red Sea,

Russ

8dust
Master Diver

Sat Oct 08, 2016 1:32 pm

Welcome aboard :)
Freddo
NAVED member #201

Return to “New Vintage Equipment Diver's Forum”