beeger
Diver
First Name: Brad

Introduction/New Double Hose Owner

Tue Jun 21, 2016 10:26 pm

Hi everyone. Long time lurker, occasional single hose parts customer, first time poster. I finally “joined the club” came into possession of my first (actually second, but that’s another story) double hose: a rather decent condition DW Mistral, likely circa 1968-1970.

Based on a quick check on a cylinder the reg seems to be holding pressure and functioning normally. Nevertheless, I’m very much looking forward to performing a complete servicing including replacing the relevant parts. I’m not without skills in this regard. I’ve been servicing single hose regulators for over ten years, including some of the old Aqua Lung single stages (even a few Scubapro and Dacor thrown in for good measure). But this will be my first double hose servicing so I’m sure I’ll have questions once I get to it.

I’m very much interested in turning this Mistral back into a “diver” and not just a showpiece so perfect historical accuracy is not terribly relevant to me on this. I have a friend who has worked with DH regs quite a bit so I have another source for solid input. Here’s what I think is a reasonable VDH shopping list for “Rebuild Phase 1” – anyone care to offer any comments?

* US Divers/Voit Single Stage Service Kit
* Band Clamp Ring (would like to mothball the c-clips for now - frustrating little buggers)
* Duckbill Eliminator (seems like a reasonable upgrade)
* US Divers/Voit Single Stage High Pressure Seat (I typically replace HP seats in single hose regs so perhaps it is reasonable to expect to do it here as well?)
* New Diaphragm (would you suggest changing current one regardless?)

Moving on from the above … The hoses, mouthpiece and mouthpiece valves actually seem to be in pretty decent shape (mouthpiece is perhaps just a little bit crunchy). I see that I can get silicone replacement hoses and curved mouthpieces from VDH which is great to know. Are the Improved Wagon Wheels w/ Mouthpiece Valves a worthwhile upgrade for the Mistral? My thought is that mouthpiece, hoses, valves would probably constitute “Rebuild Phase 2” and be enough to get it back in open water.

“Rebuild Phase 3” is what I like to think of as the “vanity phase” :D . I would like to repaint the label as mine is rather worn. I’ve seen lots of comments on the forum about this and some partial information on different approaches. But if someone can point me to a reasonably complete “tutorial” or feels like just walking me through it that would be quite helpful. I’ve done a lot of painting in my life so I have some experience here as well.

Thanks in advance.

TomcatPC
Skin Diver
First Name: Mark

Re: Introduction/New Double Hose Owner

Wed Jun 22, 2016 1:55 am

Welcome aboard!
I've got a Mistral that is about a decade older than yours. I really can't give advise, but I was able to get mine up and running, but I had a lot of support...
I'm totally stoked about hearing about painting the label part...mine could really use that restored!
Mark

kworkman
Master Diver
First Name: Keith

Wed Jun 22, 2016 6:21 am

Just buy a reproduction label.

Herman
VDH Moderator

Wed Jun 22, 2016 7:10 am

Welcome to the board and reg rebuilding.
I would add to your list the mouthpiece valves. The silicone ones are a lot better and will help the performance, the cages you have are OK as long as they are not damaged (unlikely). The valves are only a few bucks, shipping them later with cost you almost as much as the valves anyway.

I personally prefer the silicone mouthpieces to the original. They tend to be hard even in good condition and frankly taste bad to me. You might want to scrub it good, toothpaste works fine, then test it out ( around the shop when the wife is not looking :) ) to see if it feels and taste OK.

There is a huge amount of experience on this board, don't hesitate to ask questions, we are happy to assist.

Another thing to consider, like most other DH regs, there is no provision for a SPG. Don't know how you feel about diving with out one but a working J valve or a banjo (devise to tap off HP ) might be another accessory you want to consider. While on other items you will need, a proper back plate of some kind is very important. Unlike single hose regs, DH regs must have the proper placement to work best. They will function and deliver air improperly worn but their performance will drop significantly. There has been a lot of discussion on the board over the years, searching the board for technique topics and reading the information in the "Beginners Guide" and FAQ found at the bottom of the home page is well worth your time but above all ASK QUESTIONS.
Herman

8dust
Master Diver

Wed Jun 22, 2016 1:35 pm

Welcome aboard! :D
Freddo
NAVED member #201

beeger
Diver

Thu Jun 23, 2016 8:53 am

Thanks, everyone.

Herman - Yes, getting new valves seems like a good idea. I'll wait until I open up the reg to check the cages. Once I do I'll put in my order for everything. My intent is to pair this up with a steel 72 and an older style backpack/harness combo. I had a chance several years back to try this same reg in a deep pool. Even in its rough/unserviced state I started to realize the importance of regulator placement. But reading the FAQ info and various posts on this topic has been quite helpful and thanks for the reminder to review it. I'm been pondering the SPG/banjo fitting consideration. If I can find a J-valve that I trust or can service, I'd likely be fine with that approach. I'm rather tall so I think the 72 would trim out nicely even when mounted low.

Oh, and as far as repainting vs replacing the label, I haven't seen a DW Mistral/yellow/Warner Ave combination being sold. But I'm open to the idea if it is.

More questions to come I'm sure. Thanks again.

Herman
VDH Moderator

Thu Jun 23, 2016 11:52 am

For me, a Banjo vs J valve vs nothing but a watch depends on the dive. Messing around the local quarry at 20 ft deep, a J valve or nothing is fine with me, if I can't handle a low on air at those depths then I shouldn't be diving. At worst I have to do a surface swim back to the entry point and there are several in the local quarry. A little deeper and I want a J valve at least, more than 30 ft or so, I am going with a banjo and SPG just to be on the safe side, esp if I am off shore in a boat.
As for the older backpacks and harnesses, you want one of the thin single thickness ones like the Kam-EZ, not the later blow molded ones that are about an inch thick....they tend to be the more common but do not work well, both in height off your back and positioning of the reg.
Herman

georgeaustin
Master Diver
First Name: george

Thu Jun 23, 2016 12:28 pm

I'll second the no blow molded packs for DH use - I've tried it several times and man o man is it not even worth the effort. Relatively speaking, it makes DH diving pretty uncomfortable and very distracting

beeger
Diver

Fri Jun 24, 2016 9:47 am

That’s interesting to know about the “blow molded” packs. I certainly understand how pushing the reg further away from your back can affect performance. Although completely unrelated to my recent DH acquisition I do have two of these packs (I think) that were given to me years back. These have been laying around my garage for many years. I had not even thought of these in a long time but I’m attaching a photo … can you confirm this is what you mean by “blow molded packs”? If so are these of any use to the today’s vintage diver, or are these best left as displays for a collection?
pac31.jpg
pac21.jpg
pac11.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

BigMike
Master Diver
First Name: Mike

Fri Jun 24, 2016 9:58 am

Yes, those are "blow molded" plastic backpacks. They will work with a double hose reg but you will have to have it positioned further down your back than you would if you were using a single hose. I'm tall, so I could make it work without the bottom of the tank banging the back of my legs. A thin metal backpack or one of Allens harnesses work great (even for taller folks like me). Good question, Mike
You are never too old to start a new hobby.

Herman
VDH Moderator

Fri Jun 24, 2016 2:06 pm

Yep, those are the blown mold type....not very good with a DH but are fine for diving old single hose regs with no BC.
Herman

beeger
Diver

Fri Jun 24, 2016 3:06 pm

Thanks again to you both. BigMike, I am also quite tall. Do you think the "thin metal backpack" would be an optimum choice? I actually know someone who has a stack of these from an old rental fleet. Pics attached of a sample, assuming we are talking about the same thing. I've seen Allen's website/harness - these look great. If I understand correctly his harnesses are stand alone solutions that do not require a backplate, only bands, correct?
dacor31.jpg
dacor21.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Herman
VDH Moderator

Fri Jun 24, 2016 5:27 pm

They are perfect, I find the Dacor ones really comfortable to boot.
Herman

beeger
Diver

Mon Jun 27, 2016 8:53 am

I think my friend only has the plates but not the bands. Are bands for this type of plate difficult to source (used, NOS or repro)? I assume the webbing can be basic 2" nylon reinforced webbing like that used in other harnesses.

Ron
Site Admin
First Name: Ron

Mon Jun 27, 2016 5:07 pm

Hi Beeger, and welcome!
The impossible missions are the only ones which succeed. -JYC

Return to “New Vintage Equipment Diver's Forum”