jconley
Skin Diver
First Name: Jeff

New to Double Hose Regulators

Tue Jun 21, 2016 11:28 am

I haven't been diving in 20 years. But, diving fever has been hitting me so hard the last few years I can't take it anymore. Time to start diving again.

I started looking at the Vintage Double Hose website looking for parts for the single hose regulators I kept (Conshelf XIV, Scubapro MK V w109, AMF MR 12II). Wow the site has all the parts. Thank you Bryan. I was not wanting to buy one of these new EXPENSIVE SH regulators.

As I was looking at the site and the forums, it came as a surprise to me that the old DH regulators are still being used. This really got me interested in DH regulators. Yes, I was one of those toddlers swimming on the floor in front of the TV watching Mike Nelson on SEA HUNT. However, I started diving in 1976 and SH was in full hold of the industry. So the thought of a DH never seemed like an option until now.

However, as I am reading. I see how much will have to go into bringing an old DH back to life. While I totally understand the appeal of that. I am wondering if a Kraken would be a better first DH investment for me.

Any thoughts or suggestions.

P.S. any NASDS OWIC's out there?

georgeaustin
Master Diver
First Name: george

Re: New to Double Hose Regulators

Tue Jun 21, 2016 6:21 pm

I would pull the trigger on the Kraken. If you decide to become a collector eventually - well, that's another topic entirely -

BigMike
Master Diver
First Name: Mike

Thu Jun 23, 2016 10:12 pm

2x on buying the Kraken. I bought one when they first came out and haven't used a single hose since! I have a rebuilt Aquamaster but prefer the Kraken. I'm glad you found the website and forum because there are plenty of smart folks here who can help you get back into diving. Welcome to the board! Mike
You are never too old to start a new hobby.

ScubaLawyer
Master Diver
First Name: Mark

Fri Jun 24, 2016 12:00 am

X3 on the Kraken! I bought a new AquaMaster in 1973 and had it overhauled many times over the years. Won a new-style Mistral when they first came out. Hated it. Had Bryan put a Phoenix on my original AquaMaster and couldn't believe the difference in performance. Amazing. Acquired Kraken 14-021 and haven't used the Phoenix since (although it is due for an overhaul and once I do that I plan on using again). I use my Kraken 90% of the time now. Only reason I don't use it full time is to make time for my other AquaMasters, my Voit Polaris (single stage), etc... Still use a single hose 109/MK5 for lobster diving since I'm always crawling back under barnacle encrusted ledges and my double hoses keep getting caught. Enough rambling. Buy a Kraken! Mark
"The diver who collects specimens of underwater life has fun and becomes a keen underwater observer. .. seek slow-moving or attached organisms such as corals, starfish, or shelled creatures." (Golden Guide to Scuba Diving, 1968) :D

Bryan
Plank Owner
First Name: Bryan

Fri Jun 24, 2016 7:21 am

Only 4 Argonaut Krakens left for this summer. Next shot at one will be to ask Santa.

Sent from my SM-T810 using Tapatalk
Doing it right should include some common sense, not just blindly following specs and instructions. .Gary D, AWAP on SB

Herman
VDH Moderator

Fri Jun 24, 2016 8:05 am

Guys, it's really bad for poor Jeff, he as a "supplier" near him....he lives 5 miles from me. :)
Herman

Bryan
Plank Owner

Fri Jun 24, 2016 12:25 pm

Herman wrote:Guy it's really bad for poor Jeff, he as a "supplier" near him....he lives 5 miles from me. :)
That's why I insist that everyone has their city and state listed when they post.....Helps get people connected!
Doing it right should include some common sense, not just blindly following specs and instructions. .Gary D, AWAP on SB

antique diver
Master Diver
First Name: Bill

Fri Jun 24, 2016 12:27 pm

Jeff, you are a lucky guy to have Herman so close.

Herman, you are lucky that I live several states away. Otherwise I would always be hounding you to make some new widget or other gadget for me! :lol:
The older I get the better I was.

Ron
Site Admin
First Name: Ron

Mon Jun 27, 2016 10:04 pm

Not to beat the "get a kraken" thing to death, but get a kraken. Here are my reasons why:

-You can run an SPG.
-You can run an octopus.
-You can run a low pressure inflator hose.
-It fits 90% of all tanks, including rentals for when you are on vacation.
-It will "just work" until you know more about vintage gear.

If you want to get into diving vintage, then you can start by removing things from your kraken. A kraken with no accesories and a J valve tank is every bit in spirit like a true vintage regulator, except it has modern engineering and materials behind it. Once you learn all of that, then you can get addicted to vintage regulators. Think of the kraken as the gateway drug of vintage scuba gear.
The impossible missions are the only ones which succeed. -JYC

Herman
VDH Moderator

Tue Jun 28, 2016 6:21 am

Don't worry guys, he is making the mistake of going with Henry, Red Diver and myself to the quarry this weekend...he will be assimilated. :)
Herman

Bryan
Plank Owner

Tue Jun 28, 2016 8:51 am

Sounds like a great plan

BigMike
Master Diver
First Name: Mike

Fri Jul 01, 2016 10:31 pm

Resistance will be futile with you guys close by! Have fun!
You are never too old to start a new hobby.

ScubaLawyer
Master Diver
First Name: Mark

Fri Jul 01, 2016 11:02 pm

BigMike wrote:Resistance will be futile with you guys close by! Have fun!
A Borg reference? Cool! :D
"The diver who collects specimens of underwater life has fun and becomes a keen underwater observer. .. seek slow-moving or attached organisms such as corals, starfish, or shelled creatures." (Golden Guide to Scuba Diving, 1968) :D

Return to “New Vintage Equipment Diver's Forum”