jmcgilroy
First Name: Jim

BCD Options with Double Hose?

Sun Dec 29, 2019 12:56 pm

I'm just starting out and looking for options. I'm usually diving in cold water with a dry suit or 7mm and carry a lot of weight (34lbs). My reg. will have a Phoenix unit for the inflation hoses so I am FAR from a true vintage/retro guy but I'd like to retain some of that look and style. Some kind of backplate and wing? Where do I put all that weight? How can I position the tank low enough for the reg. to function properly with a standard BCD?

Thanks....I'm behind on the "learning curve",

Jim

swimjim
Master Diver
First Name: Jim

Re: BCD Options with Double Hose?

Sun Dec 29, 2019 3:40 pm

Welcome aboard Jim. I use my drysuit for buoyancy control. No BC. Works great! I dive in Wisconsin and Upper Michigan pretty much 12 months a year. A dry suit is a necessity up here.

BigMike
Master Diver
First Name: Mike

Thu Jan 16, 2020 9:14 pm

Welcome to the board. There are multiple options/answers to your questions. Many of the divers have experimented and tried different set ups and for me that made the experience more enjoyable. I like the VDH plate and wing (with crotch strap) for warmer water and use a Transpac (with crotch strap) when I dive in colder water. I lost my waist years ago and found that a shoulder strap weight belt worked the best for me when I needed to carry enough weight for a 7-8 mm full suit. You need a crotch strap to keep the regulator low on your back. Keep reading the forum because there is a ton of knowledge from some experienced divers throughout. That's how I got started. Good luck! Mike
You are never too old to start a new hobby.

Bryan
Plank Owner
First Name: Bryan

Sun Jan 19, 2020 10:59 pm

BigMike wrote:
Thu Jan 16, 2020 9:14 pm
Welcome to the board. There are multiple options/answers to your questions. Many of the divers have experimented and tried different set ups and for me that made the experience more enjoyable. I like the VDH plate and wing (with crotch strap) for warmer water and use a Transpac (with crotch strap) when I dive in colder water. I lost my waist years ago and found that a shoulder strap weight belt worked the best for me when I needed to carry enough weight for a 7-8 mm full suit. You need a crotch strap to keep the regulator low on your back. Keep reading the forum because there is a ton of knowledge from some experienced divers throughout. That's how I got started. Good luck! Mike

You need a crotch strap to keep the regulator low on your back.
Doing it right should include some common sense, not just blindly following specs and instructions. .Gary D, AWAP on SB

Return to “New Vintage Equipment Diver's Forum”