ScubaJimbo
Skin Diver
First Name: Jim

Extra bits with the backplate harness kit.

Wed Sep 18, 2019 10:36 pm

I’m putting together my VDH double hose backplate rig tonight and am finding stuff in the bag that’s not in the directions.
I’ve already made a nice rig but what am I missing out on?
There’s a really nice bit of neoprene tube marked Argonaut. What’s that for?
Also, I seem to have 2 extra d rings. Were they to go where the shoulder/side slot is?
Also? The bungee cord? Guess I’ve not been around enough technical guys to know what that’s for.

Thanks much!
Jim

swimjim
Master Diver

Re: Extra bits with the backplate harness kit.

Thu Sep 19, 2019 8:14 am

Not sure how you have the rig assembled but, you should have a D ring on each shoulder and one on each side on the waist straps. This is so you can use sling tanks and or have a place to clip on lights, cutting tools etc. If you still have two more D rings that could be for a crotch strap. One D ring for the front and one for the backside. The neoprene sleve could be for the crotch strap to prevent it from wearing through your wet or dry suit. Crotch straps are important to keep the tanks properly positioned. I use mine as an anchor point for my scooter as well. Bungie cord can be used to secure the inflator from a wing. In tech diving we use bungie cord to secure a second stage as back up. The bungie goes around the neck and the octo sits under the chin so it can be easily located in case of emergency.
I use my VDH plate a lot. I dive almost exclusively dry. I often sling a pony with a single hose reg and an inflator hose on it. I use it to run my drysuit and that also gives me a bailout. This way I can dive single stage regs like my DivAir or Healthways and still have buoyancy control. I almost never use a wing with that set up.

simonbeans
VDH Moderator
First Name: Allan

Thu Sep 19, 2019 9:10 am

You could always try a much simpler way :lol: :roll:

Check out my website: www.vintagescubastuff.com

couv
Master Diver

Thu Sep 19, 2019 9:40 am

Link to proper strap routing procedures PDF download
https://www.dropbox.com/s/r430fnedbk3di ... g.pdf?dl=0

Link to supplemental information and pictures on setting up your new plate CLICK HERE
https://www.dropbox.com/s/n354pwtid0dzd ... e.pdf?dl=0

Link to VDH Website Forum topic on proper strap routing
http://vintagedoublehose.com/forum/view ... =47&t=7060
A sincere THANK YOU to all at VDH who make this wonderful resource available and to all the thoughtful contributors.

ScubaJimbo
Skin Diver

Thu Sep 19, 2019 1:29 pm

simonbeans wrote:
Thu Sep 19, 2019 9:10 am
You could always try a much simpler way :lol: :roll:

M

I love this. I assume it’s sewn or tied to the tank? I’d totally do this if I found drawings or pictures. I almost just tried to do it on my own but the plate seemed like such a good investment.

ScubaJimbo
Skin Diver

Thu Sep 19, 2019 1:32 pm

swimjim wrote:
Thu Sep 19, 2019 8:14 am
Not sure how you have the rig assembled but, you should have a D ring on each shoulder and one on each side on the waist straps. This is so you can use sling tanks and or have a place to clip on lights, cutting tools etc. If you still have two more D rings that could be for a crotch strap. One D ring for the front and one for the backside. The neoprene sleve could be for the crotch strap to prevent it from wearing through your wet or dry suit. Crotch straps are important to keep the tanks properly positioned. I use mine as an anchor point for my scooter as well. Bungie cord can be used to secure the inflator from a wing. In tech diving we use bungie cord to secure a second stage as back up. The bungie goes around the neck and the octo sits under the chin so it can be easily located in case of emergency.
I use my VDH plate a lot. I dive almost exclusively dry. I often sling a pony with a single hose reg and an inflator hose on it. I use it to run my drysuit and that also gives me a bailout. This way I can dive single stage regs like my DivAir or Healthways and still have buoyancy control. I almost never use a wing with that set up.
Thanks!
I didn’t use the d-rings when I put the straps thru the shoulder/waist slots. I guess that’d be the place for them. Using them would make it easier to adjust, if think. As there are similar d rings in place where you adjust the crotch strap.

The neoprene tube looks like it’d fit on a strap. If I had 2, they’d be great shoulder padding.
I guess the crotch strap protector makes good sense.

ScubaLawyer
Master Diver
First Name: Mark

Thu Sep 19, 2019 6:47 pm

ScubaJimbo wrote:
Thu Sep 19, 2019 1:29 pm
I love this. I assume it’s sewn or tied to the tank? I’d totally do this if I found drawings or pictures. I almost just tried to do it on my own but the plate seemed like such a good investment.
Simonbeans (aka Allan) makes the best vintage harnesses. http://vintagescubastuff.com/products/

I have several. Here is one on my 38's. M

"The diver who collects specimens of underwater life has fun and becomes a keen underwater observer. .. seek slow-moving or attached organisms such as corals, starfish, or shelled creatures." (Golden Guide to Scuba Diving, 1968) :D

swimjim
Master Diver

Thu Sep 19, 2019 7:42 pm

I have originals and I have the stuff that Allan made. You can't tell the difference. It's that good!

Return to “New Vintage Equipment Diver's Forum”