bakodiver391
First Name: Brian

New Double Hose Diver

Mon Jun 21, 2021 12:11 am

Just wanted to say howdy from the Marshall Islands in the central Pacific. As some of you may have seen over on Scubaboard, i discovered a complete anti-magnetic second generation Aqua-master among a shelf full of stuff I got when I bought a local dive shop here. I expressed an interest in trading it for a working restored dh reg, and Luis stepped up with a beautiful Phoenix HPR Royal with an Argonaut DSV. Pretty much the Rolls Royce of DH regs, except for the Kraken, as far as I can tell. I took it for its' first dive with me yesterday and enjoyed it thoroughly, with no issues whatsoever, despite having no experience with DH and getting all my info from Luis and this website. I can only assume that Luis had it set up perfectly. I made my backplate by smashing flat a stainless doubles plate in a 50 ton press then cutting out a half circle for the reg and new slots (I have lots of stainless back plates). This seemed to work perfectly with a 30 lb. Scubapro donut wing and a Dive-Rite harness. I don't fly to dive so don't worry about the weight, in fact I prefer a heavy plate. I used an 8 litre steel tank and the can was touching right between my shoulder blades as it should.
So i had a very positive first experience with DH diving, despite having no mentors nearby. Fish seemed more approachable. The novelty and cool factor were appreciated, as with 2500 dives over 35 years I get a bit jaded. I guess this will be my go-to rig for simple, bimbling around dives, which I can do year-round in 87 degree water.
I will probably have questions from time to time but just wanted to introduce myself and say thanks for maintaining such a great website and a special thanks to Luis for hooking me up with a great regulator.

Herman
VDH Moderator

Re: New Double Hose Diver

Mon Jun 21, 2021 6:13 am

Welcome to the board and DH diving.
Diving a DH does take a little adjustment and getting use to but once you do it tends to become your reg of choice.
Sounds like you have gotten off to a good start but don't hesitate to ask questions we have a lot of very experienced DH diver here who dive them on a regular basis..
Herman

luis
VDH Moderator
First Name: Luis

Mon Jun 21, 2021 10:11 am

Hi Brian,

Welcome to VDH.

Thanks
Luis

Buceador con escafandra autónoma clásica.

ScubaLawyer
Master Diver
First Name: Mark

Mon Jun 21, 2021 4:06 pm

Hi Brian,

Welcome!

There is a lot of good information to be found here and lots of good knowledgeable people to answer questions.

Have fun!

Mark
"The diver who collects specimens of underwater life has fun and becomes a keen underwater observer. .. seek slow-moving or attached organisms such as corals, starfish, or shelled creatures." (Golden Guide to Scuba Diving, 1968) :D

TeamDoug2015
Vintage Diver
First Name: Doug

Tue Jun 22, 2021 9:46 am

Welcome aboard Brian.

Send us some beautiful pictures of double hose diving in the Marshalls to make us all jealous.

- Doug

h2operations
Master Diver
First Name: Paul

Tue Jun 29, 2021 10:11 pm

Welcome. Are you keeping the shop open? Do you have some info about your operation ? If so please share.

bakodiver391
First Name: Brian

Wed Jun 30, 2021 6:01 pm

I am only operating a fill station and doing commercial diving these days. The country has been in virtual lockdown for 16 months with no end in sight, so there is obviously no tourism. I don't anticipate doing recreational dive charters again, except in special circumstances. No worries though, commercial diving pays better anyway. :D

Return to “New Vintage Equipment Diver's Forum”