ScubaLawyer
Master Diver
First Name: Mark

I can't screw

Sat Sep 22, 2018 5:55 pm

The guy I got the twin 38s from threw in what appears to be an old piece of junk Scubapro MK2(?). Got it home and see there is no yoke screw hole - looks like a fill-whip end on the first stage but it screws on and does not slide back and forth like a fill yoke. Not sure how it would work. Ideas?

"The diver who collects specimens of underwater life has fun and becomes a keen underwater observer. .. seek slow-moving or attached organisms such as corals, starfish, or shelled creatures." (Golden Guide to Scuba Diving, 1968) :D

Herman
VDH Moderator

Re: I can't screw

Sat Sep 22, 2018 6:28 pm

What you have is a MK-6. It is a MK5 with a special connection. It is spring loaded to initially close it but when you open the tank, it clamps tighter with the air pressure. To remove it, you close the valve, purge the reg then remove it against the spring pressure.

It might be bound up but you should be able to pull the yoke away from the main body (against spring pressure) enough to get it over a standard valve.
Herman

ScubaLawyer
Master Diver

Sat Sep 22, 2018 6:34 pm

Herman wrote:
Sat Sep 22, 2018 6:28 pm
What you have is a MK-6. It is a MK5 with a special connection. It is spring loaded to initially close it but when you open the tank, it clamps tighter with the air pressure. To remove it, you close the valve, purge the reg then remove it against the spring pressure.

It might be bound up but you should be able to pull the yoke away from the main body (against spring pressure) enough to get it over a standard valve.
Thanks Herman. I knew someone would know. :D
"The diver who collects specimens of underwater life has fun and becomes a keen underwater observer. .. seek slow-moving or attached organisms such as corals, starfish, or shelled creatures." (Golden Guide to Scuba Diving, 1968) :D

couv
Master Diver

Sun Sep 23, 2018 3:59 pm

I tried to attach a couple of files, but could not due to invalid file extension. (pdf) I'll try to email them to you.

The MK6 is an interesting and unique first stage and a nice collectors item. But I would not do any serious diving with it. I used to have a one. Even after rebuilding it (including the pneumatic yoke) I found it disturbing that I could unseat it with a pull or bump when the tank pressure was below 1000 psi.
A sincere THANK YOU to all at VDH who make this wonderful resource available and to all the thoughtful contributors.

ScubaLawyer
Master Diver

Sun Sep 23, 2018 4:26 pm

couv wrote:
Sun Sep 23, 2018 3:59 pm
I found it disturbing that I could pull or bump the yoke when the tank pressure was below 1000 psi and unseat it.
Good to know! Thanks.

antique diver
Master Diver
First Name: Bill

Wed Sep 26, 2018 8:21 am

That might be the roughest looking regulator I have ever seen. I don't think you should put that into service with your cave diving kit.

BTW, the subject title made me think you had gotten bent.
The older I get the better I was.

kworkman
Master Diver
First Name: Keith

Mon Oct 22, 2018 9:59 pm

I remember reading some posts on another forum about several fatalities with this first stage and being the reason they stopped production on it. Even at 3000psi it is easy to disrupt the connection. Cool collector piece. Looks good in my case.

rhwestfall
Master Diver
First Name: Robert

Tue Oct 23, 2018 6:49 am

could make for a handy "shop reg"...
Bob

No Longer Awaiting my Kraken.....

Return to “Vintage Scubapro Regulators”