Bryan
Plank Owner
First Name: Bryan

Mystery Scubapro Poppet setup?

Sun May 28, 2017 3:22 pm

This is from the 109 I did in the video. When I opened it up I expected to find an regular eraser head poppet, spring and spring pad. Instead I found this.....Couv and I are both scratching our heads as we thought we had all versions covered. Notes....The spring is a bit longer than a standard 109 original spring....The lever has wider tabs and WILL NOT work with any other poppet (I tried them all) In the picture the lever in question is on the right and the lever on the left is a regular 109 lever. The ball shaped spring pad is kinda cool though! Hopefully someone will be able to share some info about them with all of us.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Doing it right should include some common sense, not just blindly following specs and instructions. .Gary D, AWAP on SB

Herman
VDH Moderator

Re: Mystery Scubapro Poppet setup?

Sun May 28, 2017 3:44 pm

Might be worth contacting Al on this one, he is a long time SP tech.
Herman

ovalis
Master Diver

Sun May 28, 2017 9:24 pm

I'm pretty certain those are the original parts that were used in the 109 when it first came out in 1969. I remember seeing those parts on a early schematic for the reg.

Greg Barlow
VDH Moderator
First Name: Greg

Sun May 28, 2017 10:28 pm

Those are from one of the earliest production examples. Years ago, forum member, DA Aquamaster, rebuilt a MK5/109 for me. It had the exact same parts, which I still have. DA AM told me it was from the first generation of 109s.

Greg
Greg Barlow
PADI Assistant Instructor
TDI Adv. EAN
TDI Decompression Procedures
IANTD Full Cave
NSS/CDS Full Cave

couv
Master Diver

Mon May 29, 2017 3:46 pm

Greg Barlow wrote:Those are from one of the earliest production examples. Years ago, forum member, DA Aquamaster, rebuilt a MK5/109 for me. It had the exact same parts, which I still have. DA AM told me it was from the first generation of 109s.

Greg
Vintage Frank confirmed this in a recent email to me. The original year for the Adjustable was 1969 and that fits in with the s/n on Bryan's second stage. The S/N begins with a 9; and at that particular time it indicated the year of manufacture. I'll try to attach a picture he sent.

Edit: File too large. If we could get a copy of the 1969 SP catalog the "Flow Through Poppet" and round spring pad a clearly shown.

Anyway, here is a quote from Frank re s/n 911892:
"what I can tell you about this reg (haven´t seen the video by now): It is a 1969 (9) Mark I (1) second stage with the current number 1892. You have to realize that Scubapro released the 109 in 1969 so it could be a very early version although I have never seen such one.

Look at the side of the 1969 catalog – looks like the unique poppet…."

Edit again, I'll try Photobucket:

A sincere THANK YOU to all at VDH who make this wonderful resource available and to all the thoughtful contributors.

vintagefrank
Skin Diver
First Name: Frank

Thu Sep 28, 2017 4:43 pm

Anybody out there who has these valve parts and would sell them to me? I have one of the very early 109s but the valve has been retrofitted. Would love to install the original valve for my upcoming book on Scubapro regulators.

thanks in advance
Frank

Bryan
Plank Owner
First Name: Bryan

Sat Sep 30, 2017 9:00 pm

vintagefrank wrote:Anybody out there who has these valve parts and would sell them to me? I have one of the very early 109s but the valve has been retrofitted. Would love to install the original valve for my upcoming book on Scubapro regulators.

thanks in advance
Frank
Are you asking about the parts in my post? If so please email me about them and we will work something out.

Sent from my SM-T810 using Tapatalk
Doing it right should include some common sense, not just blindly following specs and instructions. .Gary D, AWAP on SB

Return to “Vintage Scubapro Regulators”